S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ABS Controller Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Controller Help!

OK, this long, but I hope to get some feedback and suggestions from my fellow AWers!

Three days ago my ABS light came on and the brake light was flashing (3 beeps). After 2 or 3 minutes it went off. It didn't come on again for the remaining two hours of my trip. When I got home I VAG'd it and got these DTCs:

18014 (Rough Road/Engine Torque signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction P1606-35-10 Intermittent)

01203 (Electrical Connection between ABS and Instrument Cluster, 03-10 No Signal - Intermittent

I cleared the codes and the car was fine for another day, then the lights came on three times in an hour. (By the way, even with the lights on, the ABS works fine, so I don't think the controller or pump are bad) So I STFAd and found the postings on the ABS controller wiring from JasonS4 and WindycityS4. The only problem is that I have an MY2000, which has a different ABS system. I also read on the forums that the ABS module is in foam under the right rear seat. So I unplugged this module, inspected the wiring and pins, cleaned the connections. I also unplugged the ABS controller under the hood connecetd to the pump. The connector was filthy. I hoped this was the problem, so I cleaned it thoroughly and carefully with contact cleaner and a small wire brush. I added some dielectric grease and reconnected. I cleared the codes and all was fine, until this morning, the lights came on twice and went out again in an hour.

So a few questions:

1) Is the ABS Controller the one under the right rear seat in foam? I'm thinking it isn't because I would have had to recode ABS after I disconnected it. What about the one in the middle under the rear seat bolted to the floor?

2) On an MY 2000, how do you recode the ABS? The ones I found on the forum for MY2001 do not work.

3) Any suggestions on tracking down this electrical gremlin?

4) I studied Bentley and believe the culprit is in the wire connected to terminal 10 (green) in the ABS unit. Has anyone had a similar problem? Should my next step be to track down this wire between the ABS unit, T10b connector in A-pillar, A91 connector in instrument panel harness, and J218 instrument cluster processor?

Sorry for the long post, but any help is much appreciated!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another one bites the dust...Apparently AoA used a toy manf to make these ABS modules.

The part you're looking for is in the engine bay right behind the washer fluid resevoir. It has all of the brake lines attached to the pump, the black part attached to it is what's faulty. The hydraulic pump and computer are one unit. I took it to the dealer and they said I needed a new one and wanted to charge me $1700 for the service. I had the same exact codes you had I just took mine out and mailed it to AutoECU.com to be rebuilt, they warranty the part for 5yrs. I should get it back by Friday. You can also get a used one at car-part.com.

I'll keep you guys posted. I don't know what the fix is but something in the electronics on this Bosch unit is teh suck!!

Good Luck.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:12 AM

Default Thnaks for the feedback. Please update us on what

happens after you install the refurbished unit. I must admit I am skeptical because of all the postings where changing the module didn't fix the DTC problems. Also, if the mdoule was bad, I don't think the DTC's would be intermittent.

How do you remove the box from the ABS pump? Does the whole thing have tyo come out?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes you have to remove the whole module in order to get to the electronic module and may I suggest -

getting end caps for the brake lines to prevent brake fluid from spilling everywhere. You learn from mistakes.

I think it could cause the intermittent code because if the electronic module has a faulty relay or connection then it causes the intermittent code because the ECU can't talk to the ABS control model in the 20sec intervals it requires.

I will keep you updated. I have a busy Friday, the ABS Module, new spark plugs, change the transmission and gear oil and clean the fuel system with SeaFoam!!
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 AM

Default Re: ABS Controller Help!

This is a common problem with several Audi and VW models. We are changing out about five per month in our shop. I would make sure you take your vehicle to a realiable shop and verify the cause of the ABS light. There are several potential issues associated with this that may not require you to change out the ABS unit.

If you do need the ABS unit, I would bit the bullett and get a new one. If this unit fails while driving your wheel can lock up causing some handling problems, like unwanted turns.

Based on the number of failures VW and Audi are experiencing I would venture a recall is in the works. Several of our customers have sent letters to VW of America about this issue.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:56 AM

What brake fluid are both of you guys using?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:58 AM

Thanks. I'll also post on NHTSA.dot.gov for possibel recall.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:00 AM

Default Bosch is quickly becoming the modern day Lucas...

the "Prince of Darkness"...
Old 12-28-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Valvoline synthetic DOT4+. I changed this out 10K miles ago

when I installed the AWE Full Brake Kit and have had no problems till now. I don't think this is a fluid/mechanical problem, but an electrical one.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OEM and will be changing to Valvoline SuperSyn also. I agree, the problem is electrical per dealer.

Quick Reply: ABS Controller Help!