S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

my06/00 is still sitting uneven, on intrax/koni,i bought the earlier perches but

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my06/00 is still sitting uneven, on intrax/koni,i bought the earlier perches but

the shop i took them to said that they are the same part number as what is already on the car, so what now?
i am sick of being uneven.
i want to know if anybody has been able to fix this problem and what you did to fix it.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ughh i feel your pain...i feel my intrax coilovers are uneven as well...i

had the car corner balanced, but i think that it's off again...my car feels really loose at 100+, feels like the back end wants to swing out.

believe it or no, i feel like my car is higher than when it was cornered balanced at 25.5

i know that the coilovers have adjustments between a 15-21 setting, i've always wondered if the person who installed them (istook) messed something up. the compression feels off and i feel too loose going into a corner.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default yep, it sucks. the perch is supposed to be the diffrence(10mm) but ,has anyone got rid

of the front wheel gap on these kits. i tried grooved bilstin... but had the same problem
can any one please tell me what to do about this, i went ahead and ordered the other perches for 2001 but im not sure if that will help at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

wait, do you ahve the coilovers or just spring and shock? (confused)
Old 04-24-2006, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes. Get coilovers. Are you guys sick of my saying that?

I feel like I repeat myself, so please stop me when this becomes a tirade. But I truly believe that most of us are too poor to buy shocks/springs. Very few people are happy with them, and many become unhappy over time.

If you are going to modify the suspension, get coilovers. They cost more to start, but considering that they work - they are well worth it.

Disclaimer, I sell (and love) Vogtlands and Penskes. (Vogtland for street, Penske for track.)
Old 04-24-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Dude, take that car out back and put it out of its misery.....

That rice is waaaay over-cooked.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Information on corner balancing and ride heights

I don't know what your exact problem is, but I wanted to give you some food for thought. First off, it gets a little confusing when drivers say they put coilovers on their S4's, when they already had coilovers to begin with as the stock suspension is a coilover shock setup front and rear.

2nd...when people put different springs on their cars, they generally put the same rate on the front (same rate on both corners) and different rates on the rear (same on each rear corner). The problem with this, is the corner weights of a street car will almost never be truly balanced with the driver sitting in the car. When you start corner weighting the car to get the balance closer, you do this by altering the ride height...up or down on the corners and on the heavy/light sides. The end result will be a car that the ride height is off kilter from where you want it to be.

The true way to balance the car would be not only with ride height set, but slightly altering the spring rates from side to side and corner to corner to adequately get the weights and the height adjusted together. You might wind up with (just an example) 550 left front and 500 right front, and two different weights on the rear.

On a race car, that is the way it would be done...unfortunately, a street car is not set up that way because it costs and takes a lot more time and effort, and springs are generally sold in pairs. Also, with all the rubber in the suspension, the motor mounts, and the subframes, it doesn't react the same.

Example, our new TT race car with stock springs is almost exactly 60/40 front to rear with the front split 50/50...without driver installed. You put 200 lbs in the drivers seat and then all the corners get screwy. To adjust the coner weights, you would have to reset the ride height, and then you would get differences in the corners.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default nice to see you don!! i was going to give a call about this and ask you about details

in regards to the intrax coilover suspension. i think that i am going to yank mine out and start over again to make sure that everything is spot on. i need to drop by the shop sometime and will do so if and when i make it over to ft worth.

hope all is well.

scott thomas