Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 sport moldings project

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Audi Q5 sport moldings project

My next Q5 project consists of side moldings for decoration. Will be painted chrome and fitted similar to the Q7 picture (just above the skirts). The moldings are OE made for a luxury SUV. I need to find some spray paint codes (DIY). I have already fitted stainless steel mirror caps. Hope I manage to complete the task. Probably will go with chrome, since it will create similar contrast effect as stainless steel.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-13-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have started the paint job. Will post final pictures after the installation..

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-15-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like your idea and appreciate your workmanship. No doubt, the moldings will add a touch of class

Can you Pls share where you got the moldings and tips from? Did you consider having the moldings plated before painting them to look like chrome?

Our Q5 is also black and we'll be weighing same after Audi hopefully resolves the TDI issue.

Thx
Old 05-13-2017, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The moldings are exact fit for Audi Q5, as above pictures, but come from Landrover. LR002791. Got them cheap from ebay and tested them for length. Lucky purchase I guess (but felt like it was a match).

Need primer for plastic (I found a white primer), then metallic chrome for ext usage, then acrylic clear coat. I am using spray cans. It is the first time I try this.

The landrover moldings come with double tape. Between the 2 double tape strips on the rear face you can see the landrover stamp. We need to clean area of car with rubbing alcohol (I use ethyl) before installation.

Yes the intention was to add a touch of class.

I have also installed stainless steel mirror caps, ebay again, and they are perfect (also fog light chrome garnish which was missing).

When I am done with this I will start with the door lights (wiring and housing installation). Already swapped all internal and licence plate light bulbs with led. For licence plate I got original led housing and cable kit (prefacelift should be bought with normal cable housing kit, not the error free canbus cables).

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-15-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by apoelistas
The moldings are exact fit for Audi Q5, as above pictures, but come from Landrover. LR002791. Got them cheap from ebay and tested them for length. Lucky I guess.

Need primer for plastic (I found a white primer), then metallic chrome for ext usage, then acrylic clear coat. I am using spray cans. It is the first time I try this.

The landrover moldings come with double tape. Between the 2 double tape strips on the rear face you can see the landrover stamp. We need to clean area with rubbing alcohol (I use ethyl) before installation.

Yes the intention was to add a touch of class.

I have also installed stainless steel mirror caps, ebay again, and they are perfect (also fog light chrome garnish which was missing).

When I am done with this I will start with the door lights (wiring and housing installation). Already swapped all internal and licence plate light bulbs with led. For licence plate I got original led housing and wire kit (prefacelift should be bought with normal wire housing kit).
Thx for the prompt reply.
I'd bet they will look great and really like to see your finished product. Would you mind posting pics after you are finished?
Old 05-14-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Since the idea was already implemented by Audi, I believe they will make Q5 look better.

This is the picture before the installation, just for comparison. I will take the same picture after installation.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-14-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

While I tried to wet sand with a 1200 grit I messed up and I had to repaint, after sanding with 600 in order to remove the clear coat, the one small strip (as I said this is my first paint job on plastic car parts), so I used an alternative method.

I used grey fine scuff for the 3 other strips, to make the surface smooth, while being dry too. So water free method and quicker. (so don't use the 1200 grit just get the grey scuff pad)

I installed the 3 strips so I enclose the other side as promised. It does looks more sportier than before and it is just a pre-faceift. It will be fun when I drive with 3 strips for a day, until I install the missing one . I believe this is a good add on garnish for black or lava grey (same as mine) or white Q5s. At least it looks better than the Q7 picture above and much better than my initial picture. I think it is the best way to make your Q5 look like the Q5 prestige version. The car needs 24 hours to stay dry due to double tape reasons.

If I ever install running boards, which is not something I need due to other unfinished retrofits though nice to have, I will post new pictures. Any opinions are welcome.

Update:
Other side included after installing the missing molding, picture taken at an angle.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-15-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, you are persistent and it paid off. Your car looks very nice.
I also do not see value in step bar for the Q5 b/c it is not so tall off the ground.
One question: Pls clarify rationale for installing the molding low compared to mid door as in your picture with blue SUV.
Again, nice job
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sigq5
One question: Pls clarify rationale for installing the molding low compared to mid door as in your picture with blue SUV.
Again, nice job
Thanks for your comment.

1. Regarding the running boards, Q5 has 20cm ground clearance, so running boards are not functionally needed.

2. I wanted to enhance the sport character of the Q5, which basically was copying the newer Q5 design, at an affordable price (sensible expense).

The blue SUV, has the strip molding on top/tangible to the lower skirt. This is exactly what I have done, which is the same as the Q7 picture. In the two pictures the strip molding is tangible to the lower skirt.

Installing the strip there enhances / adds elegance and sportiness to the Q5, same as my initial 2 pictures which were the target or the aim if you like of my project. I did not want to deviate from this, and in 3D perspective it does not make sense elsewhere.

If you wish to install the moldings to middle of the door, then the only purpose to serve is to avoid scratches when you or the car next to you open the door. Would not be visually as nice and would not add any value to the sport character and appearance of the Q5.

Do you prefer this picture instead (white Audi Q5 2nd picture below): I believe it spoils the Q5 design character, and my idea was cheaper and better looking, fun to make, and first to adopt (in terms of alternative material used).

Other people do paint the blade of the lower skirt silver (the one that protrudes out), that would also give a perfect attractive alternative. There is a picture in the Q5 forum (white Q5 first picture below).
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-help-2917218/
Also there is another option with stainless steel strips at the link above (top of the skirt molding strips)

I chose to follow my gut feeling.
Attached Thumbnails Audi Q5 sport moldings project-lower-moldings.jpg  

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-16-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2017 Audi Q5, with sport side original moldings: Picture taken at the dealer. I am not sure if the molding color I have painted is the same, but I think it is pretty close . This might be a better alternative, but I did not wish to mask the car for painting.

Last edited by apoelistas; 05-19-2017 at 05:42 AM.