A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMI/RADIO NOT WORKING PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamoye Lewis
bro the problem is the MMI controller. mines was doing that and I changed it and presto it stopped..... then I cleaned the old one and presto it start working but you need to take it apart to clean it... I have also dont few for friend and my shop customers

but you can double check.... remove the MMI controller.... you will need to remove the screw under the ash tray... remove the center console fascia thats just the wood grain finished part, you will see a plug under the controller..... unplug it as soon as the radio turns on and it will stay on, no controls though except the steering wheel.... you can also unplug it before, just press the screen open button on the dashboard and the radio will resume the last position.... once it stays on.... dismantle the controller and clean it.... not for the fainted heart.....

you can thank me later, the toothbrush and card wont work, because the button is sticking deep inside.... you will need to carefully removed the button retainers from the back, then all the buttons will fall out (dont worry they can ONLY fit back in one way, then you can clean around them properly, I usually just soak them in warm soap water for an hour with all the electronics removed including the large rotary ****.... then sun/room dry for like 3/4 hrs then use the air machine or let room dry longer, reassemble then trust me the MMI control feel like a brand new toy....

See photos

Actually thinking back some shop diagnosed something similar with someone else here and was wrong about the amp.
Worth a try.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by storka
Actually thinking back some shop diagnosed something similar with someone else here and was wrong about the amp.
Worth a try.
yea sometimes the shops is wrong even the dealers, I had a 2006 A6 that was delivered to my shop on a flat bed Wednesday afternoon from the dealers, was there for 2 weeks car was not starting or detecting key push start was not working, proximity fob dead, they told the customer repairs was 3800 USD in parts plus tax plus labor, lady fainted, they said needed new steering column, kessy, and xyz, by Wednesday night I had that A6 up and running same steering column, same kessy, and some magic, I didn't work Thursday, Friday afternoon car was on the road running, I kept it over the weekend for observation, used it all day today was like brand new.....

Didn't take much pics and photos except for my snapchat but here is a mini video..

moral is always good to double check....

Last edited by Shamoye Lewis; 06-05-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I am amazed how many people are told they need new steering column keys and Kessy.
When my Kessy was playing up ( the advanced key ) I cloned a used one. Still working today. Was told it is no problem to recode it through geko although my local Audi dealer could not do it.
If steering column is shot just column and new keys required as keys are coded to the module in the column. And connection to Audi server.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Engineer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by storka
I am amazed how many people are told they need new steering column keys and Kessy.
When my Kessy was playing up ( the advanced key ) I cloned a used one. Still working today. Was told it is no problem to recode it through geko although my local Audi dealer could not do it.
If steering column is shot just column and new keys required as keys are coded to the module in the column. And connection to Audi server.
sometimes is not the key column or kessy, what I know is dealers have no time for deep diagnostics, they just prefer to change everything and keep it moving at the customers expense, I know this car the key was locked in the ignition and wouldn't come out, I got it out and the advanced key was not working, the column was not even unlocking key in ignotion or advanced key mode.... car did have 126 faults when I scan it though lol.... I would have posted the faults but I dont want to hijack the thread..... I think the dealer just scanned it and say hell no lol...