Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Audi Q5 rear passenger seat noise/squeak/rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 rear passenger seat noise/squeak/rattle

Hi everyone!
I own a 2013 Q5 and I am annoyed by a noise that comes from the rear passenger seat. The noise only occurs if the road elevation suddenly changes or if there are particular bumps. The noise sounds like a vibrating glass. I've read the thread referencing the latch, but, that doesn't seem to be the problem with mine. When I fold down that one particular rear seat, the noise goes away. Any feedback would be appreciated. One last question, the car has just over 20000 miles/2013 and the seats look like new: is this something that should be covered under warranty?
Thank you much for all the help in advance.
Just an update,Dealership service tech told me that they have have confirmed the noise was coming from the seat frame and they ordered a replacement frame.

Last edited by TigerQ5; 01-16-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's coming from the Panoramic Roof...
Old 12-31-2015, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Jason. in my case, I had somebody sit in the back and they confirmed it was coming from the driver rear Seat. The noise goes away completely when that seat is kept down.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

My 2014 Q5 recently started a rattle / squeak from the rear of driver. After many different checks, finally tried opening and closing sunroof. It went away. Now I have to do this open / close about once a week. Clearly so noise insulation has worn and needs replacement. Will look into this spring.

Try the open / close when you are hearing the rattle / squeak and see if it goes away.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this same issue. Dealer replaced something with the sunroof frame but the noise still happened over uneven road surfaces. I had this noise for over a year and it drove me crazy. Drove with another tech that said it's the rear seat frame. Sure enough, it was, just like I had tried to explain to the SA. They replaced the rear seat frame and it's been whisper quiet since.

Last edited by samps; 01-01-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I gotta tell ya, same story here. Started happening about a week before X-mas and I couldn't locate its source. Wife in passenger seat thought it was coming from the panoramic roof so I opened and closed several times with no results. I removed ski rack and same nada. Sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the front passenger area too. Been driving me crazy past several weeks.
Makes perfect sense now that people are saying it's the rear seat frame since I recently put the seats down to fit a dresser. Guess I'll check all the rear seat bolts and whatnot.
Thanks
Old 01-02-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty certain it is coming from the part of the frame and sliding mechanism. There is a lever that you pull up under the front of the seat to slide the seat forward and back.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dealer told me they would check it. If it's something minimal like tightening a bolt, they would not charge, otherwise, they stated that this type of issue is nor covered beyond 1st 12000 miles. To me, if it's a known problem/manufacturing defect, and the car only has 20k xxx miles, it should be covered by Audi.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Samps, do the parts u mentioned have to be replaced or just adjusted? Thank u.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just had the dealer look into my rear seat noise during servicing this weekend and they are replacing the rear seat frame as well, once the part comes in from Germany. I have just under 14,000 miles on the vehicle and it will be replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply: Audi Q5 rear passenger seat noise/squeak/rattle