Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

License Plate Delete Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Delete Option

I was offered the "License Plate Delete Option" on my new Q7 build. Does anyone have any idea what would be different on a car with this option? If I need to add a license plate later on, is there a tow hook on the front bumper where I can attach one of those license plate adapters? Aesthetically, I prefer not having a license plate on the front of the car, but if I eventually need to attach one, I want to make sure I have some options. Thanks for any insight you may have!

P.S. Did you know that it is an option to order a free jack stand with the car? Apparently, it isn't included automatically with every car due to Audi trying to keep the weight down. At least we don't have to live with this in the US (See image) . . .
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes I saw that the jack is a free option, "I'll take it"
Don't know how you would add the front license plate after, I'm sure you can get them to replace the grill.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattsam
Yes I saw that the jack is a free option, "I'll take it"
Don't know how you would add the front license plate after, I'm sure you can get them to replace the grill.
Mine came with the front license plate holder which I absolutely hate, since my state doesn't require a front plate. Removing the holder leaves a large gap which would accommodate an international type license plate and missing chrome strips. My dealer is going to order the missing chrome strips to see if that completes the front end rather than having nothing there or leaving the holder on it.

To completely replace the section of the front end where the holder is costs ~$900 (dealer price) + labor. I'm hoping the chrome strip solution fixes the issue.
Z
Old 01-17-2016, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did anyone ever get the answer to having the front grill without a license plate holder working for a license plate later on? I find it hard to believe you would have to replace the entire front grill for $900 plus dollars just to add a license plate.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm waiting to hear how my dealer is going to handle this. I got a dealer trade from a state that doesn't require a front plate. I love the look without it but I know I'll get pulled over eventually.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WausauS8
I'm waiting to hear how my dealer is going to handle this. I got a dealer trade from a state that doesn't require a front plate. I love the look without it but I know I'll get pulled over eventually.
See my post #3 below. So you need to put a license plate holder onto your car, but it has the chrome-like strips running across. Mine was the opposite - when I took the holder off, there was a gap without the strips. When my dealer got the filler strips in, he told me that it was simple as snapping them into place, and no bumper removal was required - pretty simple and straightforward. I think bumper removal was bad info that I got, particularly since the car was the very first '17 Q they got and were operating somewhat in the blind.

You would need to remove those filler strips in order to accommodate the license plate holder. If you look very closely, you should be able to see the seams on two rows, I believe, of the strips. If you can successfully do that, all you need is the license plate holder. If the dealer has to order the holder, I have no idea how much it will cost.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's how it looks.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zekeman
See my post #3 below. So you need to put a license plate holder onto your car, but it has the chrome-like strips running across. Mine was the opposite - when I took the holder off, there was a gap without the strips. When my dealer got the filler strips in, he told me that it was simple as snapping them into place, and no bumper removal was required - pretty simple and straightforward. I think bumper removal was bad info that I got, particularly since the car was the very first '17 Q they got and were operating somewhat in the blind.

You would need to remove those filler strips in order to accommodate the license plate holder. If you look very closely, you should be able to see the seams on two rows, I believe, of the strips. If you can successfully do that, all you need is the license plate holder. If the dealer has to order the holder, I have no idea how much it will cost.
Thank you. Didn't see that.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Z! I knew that there was no way you had to spend $900.00 to replace the entire front grill just to add a license plate. Especially since there was no difference in the build price.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have the part number for these filler strips?

Quick Reply: License Plate Delete Option