Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Winter is coming...Need some advice on cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Depends on if you can stay home or use a different vehicle if it's snowy out. Last winter in the northeast winter didn't happen and all seasons would have been fine. If you are in hilly or mountainous terrain sometimes you need all you can get and dedicated snows are worthwhile. Your nice summer wheels will thank you. The roads go to crap around here with potholes and freeze water bar bumps that I run 17's to smooth out the ride. I run the Audi mud flaps and they help protect the paint some.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomizzzle
Gotcha. Makes sense. Is there a recommended way of doing all of this? At a dealer vs. other locations on either? I bought a CPO, so wouldn't want t jack up warranty (if you even would with something like this). I've been a leasee the last 5 years, so now that mods matter again and I'm in higher price cars i want to be diligent.

Looking forward to being a part of the community with my first Audi

Any other suggestions? Very much appreciated guys.
Don't buy tires or film from the dealer. Use TireRack as was previously suggested for wheels and tires and note the different tire size with 18" wheels.

As to film, I recommend Xpel Ultimate - you can't do better - check for an installer in your area on their website:
XPEL Ultimate | XPEL

None of these will affect your warranty.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-28-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Having lived in Cleveland for 59 yrs, my two cents:

You will find plenty in this forum and elsewhere regarding the benefits of a dedicated snow tire over an all-season: there is no debate that the dedicated snows will outperform when needed. That being said, I have never owned snow tires (except on a ’72 Olds 442 years back) and have travelled about just fine on good AS tires. You are correct about the west side of town seeing far less snow. I commute from the east side of town to work on the west side, and can have a foot of snow at home, to find a trace of snow at best at work.

Originally Posted by rez
In any case condolences on the move out of SoCal 😭
As for living in Cleveland, compared to California, you will not experience:
  • raging wildfires
  • earthquakes
  • water shortages
  • unaffordable housing
  • long commutes
  • etc

if you really do cherish those things, you could fly to California every weekend, stay in a fancy hotel and still have more money in your pocket with what you will save in housing !

Yes, January and February are a little cool, but a jacket and hat will serve you well. I could continue singing the praises of Cleveland, but will restrain myself to stay on topic.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Conti DWS A/S tires on your 20s if you want to stick with them. I did that for years on 20" peelers in WV, and they did great. Loud as can be on dry summer roads, but good, slow wearing tires.

I have 21s now with dedicated summer performance tires, and now run dedicated winter tires (if you are going to swap wheels out you may as well go with a summer/winter setup.) If you don't want to swap and keep extra set of wheels, stay A/S. Anyway, I run winter Blizzak's on 20s and they do amazing. Although this year's winter wasn't nearly as bad as last year's. But with a new baby, I wanted to be prepared. Blizzak's are a great winter tire. Have been very impressed with them.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

be safe- get a winter pkg from Tire Rack (Dec to March) perhaps a 19" set; save the OEM 'good' wheels for other months. Wash the Q often, not sure if they use salt or sand for the roads, but keep it off. If you pin point the snow impact in the Cleveland area you'll see that the most snow/wind comes from the lake but if you're located south of Interstate 80 the impact is not as great. As for the cold temperatures- you are on your own! G. luck in OH!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Try Conti DWS A/S tires on your 20s if you want to stick with them. I did that for years on 20" peelers in WV, and they did great. Loud as can be on dry summer roads, but good, slow wearing tires.
Wife had them in size 17" on her c-class. I wasn't impressed with them. Mediocre at best. Then again, we get a lot more snow here in western michigan. They were not exactly slow wearing either, but that's relative, I suppose.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After living forty years in New England...

… I have always used dedicated snow tires in a -1 sizing for winter. Over the life of the car, you will go through a number of sets, so the only real cost of snow tires is the wheels - and in fact that cost is defrayed as you will not have to pay for seasonal mounting of tires on rims. I have had great luck with Tire Rack, having purchased over a dozen sets of tires and wheels.

True "snow" tires are cast with the mountain and snowflake emblem on the sidewall plus the letters M+S for mud and snow rating (see below) and include such stellar performers and Michelin Alpin (sic), Bridgestone Blizzack and Nokian Hakkapalliita fitments. The real challenge in your neck of the woods, is not snow, but ice, which the microsiping of modern snow tires is nothing short of amazing. My last set of studded snows was in the early 1980's. In addition, dedicated snow tires are formulated to remain flexible in very cold weather and as such provide excellent response. Just remember to get them off when the weather warms up as they will wear quite rapidly in hot weather.

Happy motoring

Eric
Attached Images  

Last edited by eric strauss; 06-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderDent

The new DWS 06 UHP A/S are much quieter, have improved turn in and light snow performance. I've had both the old and the new and am impressed with the redesign.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomizzzle
Thanks, Duke. They are brand new tires, so nothing to worry about there in terms of wear and tear yet.

Does the bad weather affect the rims at all? Any insight as to the other guard/protection stuff I've seen mentioned in other threads? A lot of people have mentioned the clear bra and mud flaps and the like implying that they are really useful for protection. I've never worried about any of that stuff before, so not sure if it's cold weather specific or just protection in general.
Value of snow tires has been discussed. I think there's value in "snow rims" too - it can be harder to wash your car regularly in the winter. Brake dust and salt may build up for longer if you can't out to clean them, and they'll start looking worse faster. If you have dedicated winter rims you can forget about the looks a bit more easily - kind of like how some people roll with steel rims in the winter.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. I very much appreciate all of your feedback. From the research I have been able to do, it sounds like winter tires would probably be best to help deal with the ice and any snow I might encounter, especially if I head to the Eastside of the city at all. Might also be a good idea to swap out for some smaller winter rims as well as not to mess up the ones I have now.

If I go with smaller rims and winter tires, would they just automatically fit, or would anything need to be done? I've seen some people mention spacers in other threads when talking about getting different size rims. Does it matter if I get 18" Audi rims vs. some generic winter rim?

I checked out the XPEL kits, super expensive! What do most people get? Looked like there were various options, from hood, fender, mirror, to full bumper, to rear bumper, etc. I honestly don't know anyone (that I know of) that's gotten these paint protection kits before. I feel like it wouldn't be as necessary here in SoCal.

I'm pretty stoked on getting out of SoCal and moving to the Midwest. I'll be going from a shack to a mansion with the housing arbitrage. I'm sure it will take some getting used to the weather though!

Quick Reply: Winter is coming...Need some advice on cold weather