A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Heads up Display and Polarized Sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heads up Display and Polarized Sunglasses

I've read in the manual that the HUD may not be as effective when viewed through polarized sunglasses. Does anyone have first hand experience with this and how bad is it?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's true I have several polarized sunglasses and all of them pretty much make the HUD disappear. You can tilt your head slightly and counteract the effect or just grab other shades for driving.
Originally Posted by blorzoga
I've read in the manual that the HUD may not be as effective when viewed through polarized sunglasses. Does anyone have first hand experience with this and how bad is it?
Old 04-01-2017, 03:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing well or HUD....

Seeing well wins.

All my sunglasses are polarized.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by exboy
It's true I have several polarized sunglasses and all of them pretty much make the HUD disappear. You can tilt your head slightly and counteract the effect or just grab other shades for driving.
Figures, my only prescription sunglasses are polarized. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can turn the HUD up to full bright in the MMI & you can see it reasonably well with polarized sunglasses. But - night without the glasses - it's like a drive in movie
Old 04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The reason why I did not went the extra mile with HUD-Prestige when I test drove it, could not see it with sunglasses on. I wear polarized + I tint all my windows (including front). There is this thing in Miami that I can't stand called extreme sun & heat! So having HUD would have been a waste of extra $$$.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From my experience a HUD in a car is a waste of money. I used to have it in my Corvette, found it absolutely useless, sunglasses or not...😉... ended up turning it off and never looked back.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

It depends on your polarized Sunglasses. If the angle of the polarization effect is oblique (around 45 degrees) instead of vertical or horizontal, you will still be able to read the HUD, as well as the infotainment screens in your A4. While the display is a little darker, it's still quite viewable. I have multiple pairs of Maui Jims, which are polarized at this oblique angle and they work just fine. BTW I'm an optometrist, and I used to know about this stuff.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by macwm
It depends on your polarized Sunglasses. If the angle of the polarization effect is oblique (around 45 degrees) instead of vertical or horizontal, you will still be able to read the HUD, as well as the infotainment screens in your A4. While the display is a little darker, it's still quite viewable. I have multiple pairs of Maui Jims, which are polarized at this oblique angle and they work just fine. BTW I'm an optometrist, and I used to know about this stuff.
Is there a standard angle used by optometrists when fitting polarized prescription glasses or is it random?
Old 04-02-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't bother with polarized sunglasses because of the problem with displays. The Serengeti Drivers (non-polarized of course) lenses that I use provide great clear vision and don't interfere with any displays in the car, including the HUD.

Quick Reply: Heads up Display and Polarized Sunglasses