A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Potential Allroad Shopper

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Allroad Shopper

I was hoping some people on here could help me out. I've currently got a Q5 (2010 3.2) Prestige.

I am starting to think about getting a new car and really like the looks of the allroad. Unfortunately, no one local seems to have any on the lot and every one that is incoming is a sold order. I'd like to get a sense of what the car looks, feels, and drives like before I decide if I want to order one. For those that have driven both, is the ride, feel, handling, etc. very similar to the B9 A4? It appears that the front seat and rear seat dimensions should pretty much be the same as the A4. I'm more interested in how it drives, the turbo lag, etc. I wouldn't be looking to do any aftermarket performance products, so would want to make sure that stock it has enough power, etc.

While I haven't ruled out the new Q5 as I haven't driven it yet, I did look at Premium Plus one at a local dealer and it does seem in at least that model, that audi has gone cheap with some of the materials. Not sure if those are upgraded in the Prestige or not. Plus, the lack of DAP and no info on that would be a concern.

If I got an Allroad, I more than likely would get a Prestige with DAP (or if it was a 2018, I guess the DAP is part of that package).

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We had a 2011 Q5 3.2 Prem. Plus. We also have a 15 Q7 Prestige S-line and I traded in a few weeks ago a GL350 for my Allroad w DAP.

Ill tell you you what I've told others... I don't see myself buying an SUV again. The Allroad is a fun car to drive, very peppy and yet smooth. Super comfy ride. DAP is a must have and makes the ride so much more safe, less stressful and effective. I also love the laminated double glass ... the level of silence inside the car just adds another layer to the driving experience. I suppose the turbo lagging is not too bad, but this is no 3.0 V6 (I do miss the torque)... on the other hand the car accelaretes nicely and fast... not sure yet what how it will perform with extra cargo in terms acceleration. We are very happy with the Allroad! I'm glad I waited for the B9.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Basically, the interior is the same as the B9 A4 sedan and Avant, with the exception for the steering wheel... at least for 2017. The allroad steering wheel's center piece is different shaped (playing off the allroad's Single Frame Grille) and the bits extending to the bottom are metal rather than leather/plastic. Also, I think there's a wee bit more rear headroom due to the flat roof line above the rear seats.

Turbo lag isn't too bad, but you can adapt to it after a week or so. I've kept the adaptive suspension on comfort most of the time due to the pothole lined and/or rutted roads after the lovely winter we had in the Pacific NW.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm about 3 months in right now, so some impressions.

You can easily tell it's a 4-pot engine, a little edgier/harsher than a V6 or I-6. Not unpleasantly so, but just won't ever be as smooth. Power is more than adequate, but step-off - that is, moving from a standing start - is a little more hesitant than my previous vehicles. Note that I'm coming off of Acura, Infiniti and Lexus 6's. It also seems to smooth out if it's pushed a bit.

Ride and handling are, IMHO, outstanding. Far more controlled than the SUVs I've driven, and not as skateboard edgy as my 2010 Infiniti (coupe, sport suspension). Wonderfully balanced.

One more thing, the AR has a DSG transmission, my previous vehicles were either automatics or manual. DSG step-off feels a little slower than an automatic.

Last edited by Fortunate1; 04-20-2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Additional Comment -
Old 04-20-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

" I suppose the turbo lagging is not too bad, but this is no 3.0 V6 (I do miss the torque)... on the other hand the car accelaretes nicely and fast... not sure yet what how it will perform with extra cargo in terms acceleration. "

fwiw the may 2017 car and driver tested the 4 cyl 2017 allroad @ 5.2 sec 0-60 (page 102) as well as the 2017 audi a6 6cyl 3.0t competition which also posted a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds (page 59).
Old 04-20-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've had two Q5's. Ordered a 2017 A4 Allroad Prestige....actually took one of the two the dealership had ordered and modified for my liking. The Audi area sales trainer was in the dealership training the sales staff and they debuted the new Q5 as well, but I got to pick his brain on the Allroad. He says the A4 Allroad rides better than the A4 sedan due to the slightly increased weight and the taller suspension....and I REALLY like the way the sedan rides.
As a POI, my current car, a S3 Prestige has the Driver Assistance Package. I did not order it as part of my Allroad order....the adaptive cruise control was good, but one gets lulled into going the speed of the car or truck in front and suddenly you look at your speedo and you are going below the speed limit. Lane assist is kind of strange, as it fights you a bit when you begin to pass. Fortunately, one can disable that with a button push. I suppose I'm just a very attentive driver....and have no need for most of package. The Prestige package includes the safety enhancements I like...side assist, pre-sense rear, rear cross traffic assist and vehicle exit assist. Am looking forward to getting my new ride the first week of July if all goes as planned.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 13s4
" I suppose the turbo lagging is not too bad, but this is no 3.0 V6 (I do miss the torque)... on the other hand the car accelaretes nicely and fast... not sure yet what how it will perform with extra cargo in terms acceleration. "

fwiw the may 2017 car and driver tested the 4 cyl 2017 allroad @ 5.2 sec 0-60 (page 102) as well as the 2017 audi a6 6cyl 3.0t competition which also posted a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds (page 59).
In a previous issue C&D recorded the same 5.2 seconds with the A4 B9 sedan. Very consistent numbers.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
In a previous issue C&D recorded the same 5.2 seconds with the A4 B9 sedan. Very consistent numbers.
the article did mention that the allroad posted the identical 0-60 time that the 2017 a4 did - and that the added weight served as no penalty
Old 04-21-2017, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cge333
I was hoping some people on here could help me out. I've currently got a Q5 (2010 3.2) Prestige.

I am starting to think about getting a new car and really like the looks of the allroad. Unfortunately, no one local seems to have any on the lot and every one that is incoming is a sold order. I'd like to get a sense of what the car looks, feels, and drives like before I decide if I want to order one.
Not to throw things off topic but this is one of my complaints about Audi and the Avant's. Maybe if Audi actually had Allroads in their showrooms they would actually sell more than they expected? One would think sea of SUV options might be having an effect on what's selling?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
Not to throw things off topic but this is one of my complaints about Audi and the Avant's. Maybe if Audi actually had Allroads in their showrooms they would actually sell more than they expected? One would think sea of SUV options might be having an effect on what's selling?
I agree and when shopping for mine a few months ago, only one dealer near me had one - and it was in the showroom. Nothing available for a test drive. Maybe its a Audi-Germany production issue?

Quick Reply: Potential Allroad Shopper