Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Issue with drive select

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 10:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with drive select

So I drive 100% of the time in Dynamic mode, but the car never remembers the setting. If I turn the car off in Dynamic and then back on, the Drive Select shows Dynamic, but it's not Dynamic because I shows "D" and not "S" in the instrument cluster, I also feel the difference in the pedal. Every time I start the car and have to press up and down to reselect Dynamic, and it's getting VERY annoying. Am I doing something wrong? Can the car be permanantly be put in Dynamic through VCDS? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, all you have to do is pull back on the shift lever once & it will go into "S".
Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Set up individual to be dynamic equivalent and leave it there. Personally I only leave it in dynamic for ride height.
The following users liked this post:
symon_say (10-05-2022)
Old 04-24-2017, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works exactly like you described NeedQuatro. I tend to switch between D and S, so its not an issue for me, but I completely see your point. I was like that with START/STOP disable. I will try what Pete suggested as well.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteDin206
Set up individual to be dynamic equivalent and leave it there. Personally I only leave it in dynamic for ride height.
This

Also the manual dont recommend high revving till the engine is warm. So starting the car in dynamic as the last setting used would go against this as some people would more than likely be revving up cold engines which would be no bueno for the them and audi. Thats my guess why its neutred like that

i could see use for it if the car had logic that knew if the engine thats still warm enough for dynamic mode operation.

Last edited by Dasaint; 04-24-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

That is normal operation. Everything will stay in Dynamic, except the engine and transmission will revert to Auto. There are a couple of reasons for this. 1) Encourages more fuel efficient driving and 2) it encourages getting the powertrain up to operating temperature before putting it in S.

As mentioned already, you don't have to cycle through the Drive Select modes. Just pull down on the shifter to put it back in S. You can conveniently toggle between D/S w/o changing the Drive Select mode.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have individual set at dynamic across the board except for D.

I don't have the heated steering wheel so I toggle the suspension settings using the * on the steering wheel between comfort and individual.

From comfort to individual, it's 3 presses. 2 to get back to comfort.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies.

Tried the Individual setting and it's the same as dynamic mode. Pulling down on the shifter does in fact put it into "S" mode. This is definitely more bearable than having to cycle though the drive select... but still a little annoying.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you're confusing the drive select settings with having the transmission in Drive or Sport. What does add to the confusion is that putting it into Dynamic does also shift it into Sport.

That said, as per the config in individual on drive select, D in Eco is not the same as D in Dynamic.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by srbsq7
I think you're confusing the drive select settings with having the transmission in Drive or Sport. What does add to the confusion is that putting it into Dynamic does also shift it into Sport.

That said, as per the config in individual on drive select, D in Eco is not the same as D in Dynamic.
The Eco mode is its own animal and yes you are correct D in Eco is not the same. However D in Comfort, Auto and Dynamic are exactly the same and the US doesn't get the Eco mode.

Quick Reply: Issue with drive select