S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default CarPlay

Drove the new S4 recently and really liked the car. Love the Virtual Cockpit, but I'm choking on the cost. Has anyone used CarPlay as a navigation option?? Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
Drove the new S4 recently and really liked the car. Love the Virtual Cockpit, but I'm choking on the cost. Has anyone used CarPlay as a navigation option?? Any thoughts appreciated.
It does a pretty good job, works like GPS should...but I will be more satisfied if they offered Google maps. With that said I don't really use Nav at all, but from the times I used the Carplay it worked just fine. With that being said, if I could go back and I would add the VC, just because I really like the display over analog gauges, but it is definitely not a deal breaker so if you're looking to save some money Carplay will work as you need it to.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinDuMa
It does a pretty good job, works like GPS should...but I will be more satisfied if they offered Google maps. With that said I don't really use Nav at all, but from the times I used the Carplay it worked just fine. With that being said, if I could go back and I would add the VC, just because I really like the display over analog gauges, but it is definitely not a deal breaker so if you're looking to save some money Carplay will work as you need it to.
I'd prefer to use option $$ on Black Optics and the Sport Package. I hate the aluminum trip so carbon fiber is in. In the real world whether the car costs $58K or $63K doesn't really change anything. This is more a complaint about how features in the US get bundled and nearly all options are available ala carte in the Euro market.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep in mind that for the navigation to work with Carplay you have to plug your phone into the usb port every time you wanted to use Carplay. For me that would be a little bit of a pain since my phone is always in my pocket.

Since you said a car over $60K is not too much of a stretch, why not go for the prestige package that will give you the nav, VC and heads up display that would put the nav directions up into the windshield? IMO, that is a really cool feature and you would also have Carplay as well if you wanted it (not to mention all of the other cool features in the prestige package like the top view camera system).

Last edited by heisnuts; 04-25-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Keep in mind that for the navigation to work with Carplay you have to plug your phone into the usb port every time you wanted to use Carplay. For me that would be a little bit of a pain since my phone is always in my pocket.

Since you said a car over $60K is not too much of a stretch, why not go for the prestige package that will give you the nav, VC and heads up display that would put the nav directions up into the windshield? IMO, that is a really cool feature and you would also have Carplay as well if you wanted it (not to mention all of the other cool features in the prestige package like the top view camera system).
Excellent points all - Especially about the phone cable. The car I drove was PP+ and had the VC but not the Sport Pkg.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use carplay for music but never for navigation. I prefer the google maps offered by audi. Apple maps are.... somehow weird.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I know BMWs use the new version of CarPlay which is wireless so no plugging in required. I assumed that the new Audis would be the same.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I know BMWs use the new version of CarPlay which is wireless so no plugging in required. I assumed that the new Audis would be the same.
I'm unable to find whether or not CarPlay requires cables on Audi USA's website - However the 2018 order guide lists them for $110 so it sounds like they may be required.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'm not 100% sure (my S5 is currently on order so I haven't been able to try it), but from everything I've read on the subject it suggests that it is not wireless.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

If you like Apple Maps then CarPlay is a viable option. I'm just not a fan of Apple Maps.

Having to plug in my phone every time I need navigation is another factor that makes it less than convenient. One of the things I do is I have the map open on the MMI pretty much at all times to see traffic around me, even if I'm not actively navigating.

CarPlay works over Bluetooth technically, but Audi is not supporting it yet.

Quick Reply: CarPlay