Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

S4 versus S3

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S4 versus S3

There will be many conversations about this and I debated where to post, but I think this can help S3 owners the most.

I'll start by saying I have an S4 on order that's coming next week, I test drove their demo car (with Sport package) and I was surprised how many doubts it gave me about upgrading from my S3.

(Note, my S3 has dynamic suspension and steering AND I put on Michelin Pilot SS tires on it, a considerable upgrade)

Ride
As you would imagine the S4 feels like a van compared to the S3 in size, and although the suspension was super refined on the S4, it just doesn't have that go-cart, track-ability feel of the S3, this shouldn't surprise anyone. But I was surprised at how much softer the ride and handling was on the S4.

Interior
Is nice on the S4, lots of cool stuff - I like the virtual cockpit, but not smitten with it - its changes the desire to keep the car longer somehow - and like most autotronics, it's still 5 years behind a simple iPad. The S4 seats are amazing - if you drive a lot or take long trips, you'll love the seats.
Soft Plastic paddle shifters in a $60k car is really, really annoying - greedy bastards and its an insult thinking we won't notice.

Transmission
This is really an apples and oranges comparo - they are totally different. I had real fears about a slush-box trans in a sports car and the Paddle shifters on an auto (to me) are a big fraud that I can't fool my brain into liking - the cheapness of the paddles add to the annoyance. The S4 shifts are smooth, yet satisfying, its truly amazing tech that allows the shifts to be so much like a Dual Clutch - but the psychological play annoys me, at least offer a manual, what's the problem AOA doofuses? I love the S-tronic/DSG, it's mechanical and ultra responsive and it's not a huge lie.

Steering
S4 was way too lite - even with the Dyn steering package - and the feedback is vague compared to S3.

Differential
This is the most appealing option to me, I drive like I stole it most of the time and wow is this a cool addition to the quattro, it balances the oversteer perfectly. I wish the S3 had one or I could move the bias to the rear with a Haldex hack.

Acceleration
Again, more refined and it doesn't have the 4cyl bog from a stop - the S3 is the best 4cyl I've ever driven (well other than an R1 bike) - but the 6 in the S4 is a world-class motor and it really pays back. The S3 is great, really great and the S4 acceleration to highway speed is barely perceivable as better or faster - but the 8 speed trans makes it feel more effortless than the S3, with it's comparably hard shifts.

So what it comes down to for me - is the motor (even with the fake transmission) and the sport diff are they worth the extra $10K - I drive in a city for half of my commute and I love the go-cart feel of the S3 at times, but I'm 47 now and want a little more 'mature' car -

My verdict, I'm really thinking about a new S3 instead - at least I would upgrade my Haldex program from the 2015 and can stay young for another 3 years.

My 10 cents...
The following users liked this post:
mijado (06-22-2019)
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2016 S6 and love it and my wife drives a 2017 S3. I enjoy the driving experience of the S3 more and don't feel it's a downgrade from the S6. In fact I'm planning to trade the S6 on an RS3 this summer and can't wait.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

S3 is just the perfect size in my opinion. A4 feels like a full size sedan. I'm only 5'7 though so it's almost tailored for me. Great review though.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

My biggest complaint about the S3 (and the reason I would not own one) is the interior quality. It just has a "Jetta quality" feel to it in too many places. It's like all or nothing...either you have really high quality components (like the switchgear, steering wheel, air vents) or really mediocre quality (door panel plastics, MMI screen resolution, leather quality) - there is just no in-between. It's just not Audi quality to me and I feel like I'm driving a tarted-up Jetta interior, and the PERCEIVED quality is just not there to me. For this reason alone the S4 would be my choices....the interior is just in a different league. My friend has an S3 and I have a TT...the interior quality is miles different. Of course, that doesn't chance the performance of the car one ounce...I get it. But the S3 doesn't live up to my interior expectations.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@arU4ic thanks for posting your well stated thoughts. Should something go wrong and my RS3 fall through I concluded that I would evaluate the S3, S4 and S5 (ALWAYS have a backup plan). My biggest fear is the the 4/5 would be, well, too big. I do not enjoy driving big cars. That said, should the worst case scenario come to be I will still test drive an S4, just without getting my hopes up.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by core10
@arU4ic thanks for posting your well stated thoughts. Should something go wrong and my RS3 fall through I concluded that I would evaluate the S3, S4 and S5 (ALWAYS have a backup plan). My biggest fear is the the 4/5 would be, well, too big. I do not enjoy driving big cars. That said, should the worst case scenario come to be I will still test drive an S4, just without getting my hopes up.
@core10, good thinking...always have a backup plan. I thought about it a lot myself just in case the RS3 doesn't happen on time. Considered the S5 and S5SB but they really are much bigger cars. As of now I think my backup would be the TTS since I want an agile and small car and willing to give up some of the luxury components I am used to from my current S4.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

s4 is getting bigger and bigger. if you need big then id go for an s6 or s7.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not understood Audi's decision to ditch the supercharged engine in the S4. In my particular case, I cannot see any advantage whatsoever to get the new gen S4 with the new turbo powered engine over the B8 S4, particularly now that they've also gone away with the dual clutch transmission.

I don't like the newer interior design of the S4 either (based on my experience with the newest A4). Having said that, the B8/8.5 S4 was an incredible car and definitely meant to be driven fast on the Autobahn but unfortunately there's nothing like that anywhere near where I live, and I'd venture to say most others as well. The burst of speed and no turbo lag was the best part of that engine IMO. Rock solid.

Now that I'm driving a new S3 I'm really enjoying it and I do not see it as a downgrade at all. Just a different beast and I like the relative simplicity of the interior but then again I have most of the options including VC which I really like. S sport seats are nice as well. I think I really like the smaller footprint and lighter feel of the S3 much more. Feels more communicative than my S4 but I do have to admit the S3 feels more skittish on rough surfaces which I'm not a fan of. Not a deal breaker however.

Having the resonator delete option provides a more pleasant ring to my ears as well. The S4 felt and sounded more sterile compared to my S3.

The OP's comment about wanting a more mature car I would say there is absolutely nothing immature about the S3. Now if you're talking about a Subie STI or Ford Focus RS THAT would beg the question of exuding a certain level of maturity. Lol.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

OP I have owned an S3 for about 13 months now and love everything about it except for the sound. I've had the itch to get the V6T so yesterday I drove a 6MT B8.5 and a B9. Of the two I'd say the B8.5 was the most fun due to the super charger sound and the manual. They both felt less laggy than my S3 but were boats. I had the papers drawn up to but the B8.5 and decided to wait until Monday. Took a drive in the country with my S3 and it's hands down more fun than both the S4s because you can toss it easier, it's tight and has a lot of power, just in a different way compared to the S4. Needless to say I'm keeping the S3 for a good 4-5 more years at this point. Yeah the S4 would be fun, but I'm throwing AWE exhaust on my S3 and it'll be more fun than the S4. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
My biggest complaint about the S3 (and the reason I would not own one) is the interior quality. It just has a "Jetta quality" feel to it in too many places. It's like all or nothing...either you have really high quality components (like the switchgear, steering wheel, air vents) or really mediocre quality (door panel plastics, MMI screen resolution, leather quality) - there is just no in-between. It's just not Audi quality to me and I feel like I'm driving a tarted-up Jetta interior, and the PERCEIVED quality is just not there to me. For this reason alone the S4 would be my choices....the interior is just in a different league. My friend has an S3 and I have a TT...the interior quality is miles different. Of course, that doesn't chance the performance of the car one ounce...I get it. But the S3 doesn't live up to my interior expectations.
Yeah, this is tough to argue - I should have mentioned the interior fit and finish is a class above from the S3, yet at the same time, I enjoy the simplistic layout.

Quick Reply: S4 versus S3