Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Parking Lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Parking Lock

I came upon this particular gem in the manual (P.96):

Can someone explain to me WHY do I have to do this when driving through mountains ?????
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It appears to be a manual release for the emergency brake in case it freezes due to mountain driving in the snow.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Eppieguy
It appears to be a manual release for the emergency brake in case it freezes due to mountain driving in the snow.
That, I understand. I would also assume that such an emergency wouldn't only happen in the mountains. I also understand the need for emergency break release in general. Simply questioning the description in the manual. I don't think I would have made such a blanketed statement.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:53 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I have no idea why we would use this for driving through mountains, and would like to also find out.

Besides being used if the vehicle loses power, I could see it being used for those times when parking on a hill (in the mountains) and prior to taking your foot off the brake you apply the parking brake. In this case if the weight of the car is now resting on the parking brake which is better than on the trans, it could cause it to be difficult to disengage the parking brake electronically. Just a long shot..
Old 06-14-2017, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Somebody screwed up the translation or text in your version of the manual. Here's what it says in the manual of my April 2016 build:

The transmission automatically goes into Park 30 minutes after leaving the car in neutral with the engine off. The purpose of the parking lockout lever is to keep the transmission from going into park while towing the vehicle.

You might want to bring this to the attention of Audi USA. They really should be sending out a manual addendum to anyone with this incorrect text in their manual.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aren't you not supposed to tow an AWD car with the back wheels rolling? If so, I'm not sure what this prevents.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by drive4fun
Aren't you not supposed to tow an AWD car with the back wheels rolling? If so, I'm not sure what this prevents.
you cannot leave this car in neutral to tow. The transmission will automatically shift into park after a time. That would be a disaster if it happens while towing. The handle is there so you can lock out the parking gear to prevent this from happening.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by RickObe
Somebody screwed up the translation or text in your version of the manual. Here's what it says in the manual of my April 2016 build:

The transmission automatically goes into Park 30 minutes after leaving the car in neutral with the engine off. The purpose of the parking lockout lever is to keep the transmission from going into park while towing the vehicle.

You might want to bring this to the attention of Audi USA. They really should be sending out a manual addendum to anyone with this incorrect text in their manual.
This is from online manual for my 2018 Q7, manual version dated 05/2017 (P.91):

This appears to be the newest (improved?) version
Old 06-14-2017, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just wanted to say, I understand the use and purpose of emergency break release. I just don't understand what Audi was thinking by putting this in the manual. It did strike me as a bad translation or totally moronic advice. Or maybe they are trying to keep us on our toes and see if anyone actually reads the damn thing :-D
Old 06-14-2017, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe if the Q7 is completely dead, the electronic parking brake doesn't function and you have to release it manually to get the vehicle rolled onto the flatbed tow truck?

I don't think the 30 minutes and then goes into park situation is an issue for towing if you are doing it properly on a flat bed. Standard tow trucks that angle the Q7 and leave two wheels on the ground clearly will not be good for an AWD drivetrain. If the tow person insists on towing it with this type of truck, engaging this the emergency release so you can have him/her tow a car for over 30 minutes on the back wheels is going to damage the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Parking Lock