A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

What goes in here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What goes in here?

I was wiping down my engine bay and noticed I'm a tad low on this. What fluids goes in here? I haven't had my 10,000 mile service yet. I'm at 8500 miles. I'm driving my car around 1000 miles to move out of state in less than two weeks. I was planning on going my 10,000 mile service when I get there. Should I go to the dealership and have them check fluid levels before and top off anything that needs it or should I be okay? Will the dealership even do that free of charge? I don't know why I'm low on whatever fluid that is.

Last edited by Strife1013; 06-24-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is your coolant reservoir. I think you are fine as this serves as an over flow for the coolant but if you feel better that its stays between min and max then get you some G13 Coolant which is what Volkswagen and Audi cars use.
Pentosin Pentafrost Pentosin Pentafrost
is one that can be ordered through Amazon. make sure you mix it with distilled water for a 50/50 mixture before putting it in the tank.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by edle
That is your coolant reservoir. I think you are fine as this serves as an over flow for the coolant but if you feel better that its stays between min and max then get you some G13 Coolant which is what Volkswagen and Audi cars use. Pentosin Pentafrost is one that can be ordered through Amazon. make sure you mix it with distilled water for a 50/50 mixture before putting it in the tank.
Ahh I feel better now that you said it's an over flow reservoir. I'll just do my service when I get there. I should be fine. 👍
Old 06-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's your coolant. Mine also got pretty low-ish slightly before I needed service. It has a sensor to warn you when it gets too low so you might be ok.
I never noticed a car get low on it so quickly though but Audi said everything is normal and fine.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyja4
That's your coolant. Mine also got pretty low-ish slightly before I needed service. It has a sensor to warn you when it gets too low so you might be ok.
I never noticed a car get low on it so quickly though but Audi said everything is normal and fine.
I suppose if I have a light warning for it that's not on all is good in the land of coolant.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

You may also see a level difference between cold and hot engine.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default different fluid but...

Not being able to find it on my own it took an Audi mechanic to point out to me where the windshield wiper fluid goes. I saw the image of what it looked like in the manual but couldn’t locate it in the engine compartment. It's definitely in an unusual location, imho.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2017, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rkane
Not being able to find it on my own it took an Audi mechanic to point out to me where the windshield wiper fluid goes. I saw the image of what it looked like in the manual but couldn’t locate it in the engine compartment. It's definitely in an unusual location, imho.
holy crap. That's good to know! thanks
Old 06-25-2017, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by rkane
Ya it took me a hot minute to figure that out myself. Ha ha. Odd location but I actually like it.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

My sales person specifically pointed out the windshield fluid reservoir to me when I took delivery. He said sales were particularly instructed to do this one as it's unusual.

Quick Reply: What goes in here?