A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Base carrier bars advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Base carrier bars advice

So I had been considering using my older Whispbar Base Carrier Bars, #S16, with the Whispbar Kit Kit #K328, which I had on my '14 JSW. I remember seeing some posts on here (I think) a few months ago, recalling that there might be some issues with sunroof clearances. Also, it seems that a lot of Whispbar stuff is on clearance, which causes me concern.

Another concern with my Whispbars is that even though they are the through-bar design, the way the mounting towers grab the bar interferes with where I mount the bike carrier. Contrast that with the newer designs from Yakima and Thule where the mounting feet don't wrap around the bar, but just grab it along the bottom of the bar.

My typical roof load is two road bikes and two touring kayaks, usually bikes or kayaks, sometimes all four.

I have tried all kinds of search words, to no avail.

Anyhow, I have narrowed my selection to Yakima 50" Jetstream bars and Timberline mounts. I was considering the Thule ARB53 53" AeroBlade Load Bars, but realized that the extra few inches would be too wide.

Wondering if anyone has installed the Yakima Jetstream, and if it is indeed as quiet as the Whispbars have been. I would prefer not to gunk up the roof with the fairings that are offered by Yakima and Thule.

I am also looking at the Audi Aluminum Bike Rack, Part Number: 8T0071128 ; 8E0071128A. It seems to be the sleekest of all that I see, but the description is so minimal- I cannot tell if it would fit Yakima Jetstream or Thule ARB53 53" AeroBlade Load Bars, or it a lock is included or even available.

Last edited by archrenov8; 06-28-2017 at 07:41 PM. Reason: added comment about Audi aluminum bike rack.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by archrenov8
So I had been considering using my older Whispbar Base Carrier Bars, #S16, with the Whispbar Kit Kit #K328, which I had on my '14 JSW. I remember seeing some posts on here (I think) a few months ago, recalling that there might be some issues with sunroof clearances. Also, it seems that a lot of Whispbar stuff is on clearance, which causes me concern.

Another concern with my Whispbars is that even though they are the through-bar design, the way the mounting towers grab the bar interferes with where I mount the bike carrier. Contrast that with the newer designs from Yakima and Thule where the mounting feet don't wrap around the bar, but just grab it along the bottom of the bar.

My typical roof load is two road bikes and two touring kayaks, usually bikes or kayaks, sometimes all four.

I have tried all kinds of search words, to no avail.

Anyhow, I have narrowed my selection to Yakima 50" Jetstream bars and Timberline mounts. I was considering the Thule ARB53 53" AeroBlade Load Bars, but realized that the extra few inches would be too wide.

Wondering if anyone has installed the Yakima Jetstream, and if it is indeed as quiet as the Whispbars have been. I would prefer not to gunk up the roof with the fairings that are offered by Yakima and Thule.
I have not tried the Jetstream bars yet, but I did move my old round Yakima bars from my 06 Avant to the Allroad. All I can say is OMG it was loud (~2x+ louder than the same setup on the 06). I had to buy the fairing just to make the noise tolerable.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with because I'm going to need a much quieter solution for next ski season.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Base Carrier Bars

I just picked up a set of the Audi Base Carrier Bars for my Allroad at the dealership, but I haven't put them on yet. When I do, I'll report here on how they work out. I'm going to use them along with a couple of RockyMounts Brass Knuckles bike racks.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CoMeader
I have not tried the Jetstream bars yet, but I did move my old round Yakima bars from my 06 Avant to the Allroad. All I can say is OMG it was loud (~2x+ louder than the same setup on the 06). I had to buy the fairing just to make the noise tolerable.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with because I'm going to need a much quieter solution for next ski season.
Years ago, I had the Yakima round bars for my first base carrier. While they are exceedingly simple and strong, they are awfully noisy.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first tried the Thule AeroBlade Edge on but I could not position them and still open the sunroof; the glass would hit the edge of the bars and stop the movement. Currently running AeroBlade 53s with 450R rapid crossroad foot pack. So far I am pretty happy with the set up. It's quiet with the roof closed for sure. I do find the noise with the sunroof open pretty loud still, that would be the biggest drawback. The bars are great otherwise. The 53 inch are big enough to run my Thule Flow roof box and two sprint xt bike mounts.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by devinc
I first tried the Thule AeroBlade Edge on but I could not position them and still open the sunroof; the glass would hit the edge of the bars and stop the movement. Currently running AeroBlade 53s with 450R rapid crossroad foot pack. So far I am pretty happy with the set up. It's quiet with the roof closed for sure. I do find the noise with the sunroof open pretty loud still, that would be the biggest drawback. The bars are great otherwise. The 53 inch are big enough to run my Thule Flow roof box and two sprint xt bike mounts.
Do you feel like the 53" bar is going to smack you in the face when you are getting in to your Allroad?

Last edited by archrenov8; 06-30-2017 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you feel like the 53" bar is going to smack you in the face when you are getting in to your Allroad?
That has not been an issue at all. Have not even noticed this as a concern getting in and out. No bonks to the face or head.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by devinc
That has not been an issue at all. Have not even noticed this as a concern getting in and out. No bonks to the face or head.
Looks like a nice system. I tried my Whispbars this morning, using my K328 Fit Kit that I had from my JSW, and they seem to fit perfectly. Slightly fussier to install than yours. The clearance to there panoramic Gras is more than enough, even to mount my Kayak Racks which wrap around the load bar.

I haven't loaded anything on the bars yet, but did a 60mph test and couldn't detect any undesirable wind noise so far. Ordering new bike racks today.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't loaded anything on the bars yet, but did a 60mph test and couldn't detect any undesirable wind noise so far.
Out of interest, did you test it with the sunroof open, or closed, or both?
Old 06-30-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by FLkiwi
Out of interest, did you test it with the sunroof open, or closed, or both?
Actually, I tested it closed and open. The sunroof deflector does a great job of deflecting the airstream over the top of the load bar, and the load bar is actually aft of the sunroof opening, so it seemed to have a minimal effect.That story will be different when I add kayak and bike carriers, for sure.

Quick Reply: Base carrier bars advice