S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dynamic Engine Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynamic Engine Sound

Anyone know what it's doing exactly? Is it one of those artificial sounds coming out of the speakers? Or is it an actual flap that opens up to allow more sound from the engine bay to go into the cabin?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No, I don't think it's from the speaker, you can drive around with the windows down, and closing the windows up, you will notice that it's very different than, let's say, BMW's approach...so I really don't think it's from the speakers.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DevArenaCN
No, I don't think it's from the speaker, you can drive around with the windows down, and closing the windows up, you will notice that it's very different than, let's say, BMW's approach...so I really don't think it's from the speakers.
so do we have a 'sound aktor' ? i was hoping not. as the sound produced didnt sound artificial
Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been talked about earlier here and also over at Audizine... it does have a soundaktor, but it has nothing to do with the speakers like in previous gens and BMWs. Basically it takes the organic engine sound and subtly amplifies it through a crafty mechanical application. Autoweek explains it best:

"It has a "soundaktor," which is diaphragm at the rear of the engine bay (bolted to the firewall) that takes the engine sound and enhances it through resonance. The rest is pure exhaust tone. No enhanced audio."

http://http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/first-drives-2018-audi-s4-sedan-and-s5-coupe#ixzz4nBcvUikZ

I have strained to try and hear this happening, but it sounds so natural and enveloping I really can't tell. "Resonance" is the key word, it's taking what is already there and making the soundwaves push just a bit harder. TBH, I notice more overall noisy goodness just from the valves moving in the exhaust system.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 07-18-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Having driven the sedan and coupe on test drives, admittedly not a huge amount, I found the exhaust tone a great disappointment.
Compared to its rival the Mercedes c43 amg, I almost went with the Mercedes based on the full throated exciting sound of the engine tearing its way through the gears.
So many reviews lauded the Audi except for the sad exhaust attempt at transmitting power.
Even in dynamic they could do better.
Giving the option of a performance exhaustwould have been a winner.
Honestly my first mod is an AWE touring exhaust. Some have a switch remotely controlling the valves. I like that.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
This has been talked about earlier here and also over at Audizine... it does have a soundaktor, but it has nothing to do with the speakers like in previous gens and BMWs. Basically it takes the organic engine sound and subtly amplifies it through a crafty mechanical application. Autoweek explains it best:

"It has a "soundaktor," which is diaphragm at the rear of the engine bay (bolted to the firewall) that takes the engine sound and enhances it through resonance. The rest is pure exhaust tone. No enhanced audio."

http://http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/first-drives-2018-audi-s4-sedan-and-s5-coupe#ixzz4nBcvUikZ

I have strained to try and hear this happening, but it sounds so natural and enveloping I really can't tell. "Resonance" is the key word, it's taking what is already there and making the soundwaves push just a bit harder. TBH, I notice more overall noisy goodness just from the valves moving in the exhaust system.

I'm not buying this explanation. You can use ODBEleven to tinker around with the soundaktor volume. I recently turned mine off to see what the difference is. So far it's very subtle but it is noticeable if you listen for it. I plan on re-enabling it again in a few days once I get used to hearing it deactivated. With ODB11 you can adjust the volume from 0 to 255. You can also run a test on it which will cause it to quickly cycle through a range of frequencies. You can actually hear the firewall by your feet vibrate when it does this. Just based on that I think this is more than a simple mechanical device. I suspect it's just a speaker voice coil that mounts to the firewall rather than a typical paper cone of a normal speaker.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Damon44
Having driven the sedan and coupe on test drives, admittedly not a huge amount, I found the exhaust tone a great disappointment.
Compared to its rival the Mercedes c43 amg, I almost went with the Mercedes based on the full throated exciting sound of the engine tearing its way through the gears.
So many reviews lauded the Audi except for the sad exhaust attempt at transmitting power.
Even in dynamic they could do better.
Giving the option of a performance exhaustwould have been a winner.
Honestly my first mod is an AWE touring exhaust. Some have a switch remotely controlling the valves. I like that.
I agree with your statement except the part I formatted bold. This is S4, so performance exhaust should be standard, not an option. Similarly, I think the sports package should also be standard. That's just my 2 cents on sporty options on a sports car Audi is pushing S series to be.

Totally get options for upgraded leather, tech, assistance package. But sports packages should be standard on a sports car.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I'm not buying this explanation. You can use ODBEleven to tinker around with the soundaktor volume. I recently turned mine off to see what the difference is. So far it's very subtle but it is noticeable if you listen for it. I plan on re-enabling it again in a few days once I get used to hearing it deactivated. With ODB11 you can adjust the volume from 0 to 255. You can also run a test on it which will cause it to quickly cycle through a range of frequencies. You can actually hear the firewall by your feet vibrate when it does this. Just based on that I think this is more than a simple mechanical device. I suspect it's just a speaker voice coil that mounts to the firewall rather than a typical paper cone of a normal speaker.
What if we just dropped the "speaker" nomenclature and went with "transducer"? Then everyone could be exactly correct.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xtreme571
I agree with your statement except the part I formatted bold. This is S4, so performance exhaust should be standard, not an option. Similarly, I think the sports package should also be standard. That's just my 2 cents on sporty options on a sports car Audi is pushing S series to be.
That would be the RS cars. What's wrong with power and quiet?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not a thing! If there was a drive select options for "dead silent", that would me my choice most of the time.
That doesn't mean I dont like the exhaust sound, but honestly, in the same way my red calipers don't make me stop more quickly, the exhaust sound serves no actual purpose.

And let's be honest... how much quieter could the world be with NO exhaust sounds (external to the car, at least). Pump all the sound you want into the cabin, but really, realize that for the most part, nobody else cares what you car sounds like.

Quick Reply: Dynamic Engine Sound