Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Top View

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Top View

Shift the car into reverse and the rear camera comes on and fills the left side of the screen (2/3rds). Right side of the screen ON AN S4 (1/3rd) shows top view and surroundings. This is the way I think it should be.

Get into the SQ5, shift into reverse, camera comes on and fills the left side of the screen like the S4. The right side of the screen displays a phantom car with the parktronic sensors activated when an obstacle is detected (front or rear) -- in other words no "top-view".

However, if you use the MMI controller, you can select top view -- which presents the "top view" image and the surroundings to the left 2/3rds of the screen, but it is not automatic as it is on the S4.

The S4 seems to present the front or rear or front corner or rear corner view on the left side of the screen appropriate to circumstances and always supplements the left side of the screen view with the top view (which seems as it should be).

Is there a set up on the SQ5 that will make it replicate what the S4 does? It makes no sense to have to stop the backing motion to look at the MMI ****, select top view (which disables the front or rear view). Seems like the software for the SQ5 should be the same as it is on the S4.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I suppose you would have checked the settings of the camera in MMI? From memory, there are a few options to select from in case of my S8 with similar functionality.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BFN949
I suppose you would have checked the settings of the camera in MMI? From memory, there are a few options to select from in case of my S8 with similar functionality.

Just saw this same concern in the A4 forum with the addition that they were changing the default via in MMI as BFN949 suggested but every time the vehicle was shutoff it went back to the original factory setting of showing just the parking sensors rather than top view...

this cant be right. Any others with prestige's out there?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When / If I get mine...I'll be interested in this. I wonder at the least if there isn't an MMI option that the default can't be changed via VAG-COM?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Shift the car into reverse and the rear camera comes on and fills the left side of the screen (2/3rds). Right side of the screen ON AN S4 (1/3rd) shows top view and surroundings. This is the way I think it should be.

Get into the SQ5, shift into reverse, camera comes on and fills the left side of the screen like the S4. The right side of the screen displays a phantom car with the parktronic sensors activated when an obstacle is detected (front or rear) -- in other words no "top-view".

However, if you use the MMI controller, you can select top view -- which presents the "top view" image and the surroundings to the left 2/3rds of the screen, but it is not automatic as it is on the S4.

The S4 seems to present the front or rear or front corner or rear corner view on the left side of the screen appropriate to circumstances and always supplements the left side of the screen view with the top view (which seems as it should be).

Is there a set up on the SQ5 that will make it replicate what the S4 does? It makes no sense to have to stop the backing motion to look at the MMI ****, select top view (which disables the front or rear view). Seems like the software for the SQ5 should be the same as it is on the S4.

Any thoughts?
Did you read the manual? I have a Q5 Prestige and have set up the MMI to show top360 view of the car (1/3rd right side) along with front or rear view (2/3rd left side) every time I put the car in R or D. Go to Vehicle settings and you will find it somewhere in the assistance menu.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You asked THE key question -- I didn't have access to the manual. My wife and the manual were 20 miles away from me at the time I wrote the post.

I went, instead, to my S4 and worked on the camera screen -- pushed the MMI **** to the "+" and there it was. On my S4 the setting was already "Camera" -- I pressed the MMI **** and a drop down selection came up, Camera OR Graphic.

My wife will be home shortly, and I'm going to try setting hers up. I have every confidence, however, that the setting will "stick."

The reminder to READ THE MANUAL (what we -- in software -- refer to as RTFM) applies quite well.

The issue I have, however, is the somewhat inadequate index, which makes the manual (sometimes) frustrating.

Unless this fix doesn't work on the SQ5, I'm calling this one SOLVED.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The change in the MMI from graphic to camera has cured this issue.

Easy Peazy.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just FYI Mark...you can view the owners manual online if you register your car.

https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi

I noticed this issue with the parking cameras as well and haven't had a chance to play with the car yet as it's getting the front clear protection put on.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
Just FYI Mark...you can view the owners manual online if you register your car.

https://www.audiusa.com/myaudi

I noticed this issue with the parking cameras as well and haven't had a chance to play with the car yet as it's getting the front clear protection put on.
Nice! Full Hood or Partial? Are you doing a Ceramic Clear Coat too?
Old 07-26-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cakasky
Nice! Full Hood or Partial? Are you doing a Ceramic Clear Coat too?
Full hood and top of rear bumper done. I didn't bother with the ceramic clear coat. Saw a couple small bubbles on the hood, and the shop says they'll go away in a few days, and they did get smaller, but I still see them, so I'll probably ask to have the hood redone.

Quick Reply: Top View