A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 out of warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 out of warranty

I'm looking to buy a used audi... Either between a 2015 A4 or 2013/2015 A6.. Leaning more towards the A4 to save a little money. I'm a buy and hold kinda girl... Not really a switch it up every 3 years type of gal. Give me your experiences, gripes, advice on owning an A4 or A6 out of warranty? Is it as huge a financial pain as people say? I want to find something with less than 60k miles and I would like to keep it for 7-10 years.... I'd love to hear your input.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Audi's can be very expensive to maintain if you rely on a dealer. A little less if you have a good indy shop nearby. Much better if you do the work yourself but the parts are expensive.

If you want a reliable car that will last 7-10 years that is cheap to maintain you should buy a Toyota.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Javay, I agree. I've had 2 A4s. Bought first one on an impulse purchase , certified, from a dealer. It had 10k miles on it & came with a 3 year warranty. (Important to me as I knew they were expensive to maintain). I, too, was always a "keep it kinda gal". Never intended to buy another one BUT, due to a recall, dealer did engine work on it (pistons...heavy oil consumption).Three months later, at appx 48k miles, a piston spring POPPED & cracked the engine head!! I was horrified as it was 1 month out of warranty!!! I tell you this because although after NUMEROUS phone calls with Audi Corporate, I finally got THEM to pay the $9,000 for the head BUT the dealer wouldn't BUDGE on $3,000 labor (even though, clearly, they were responsible !) Was nervous to keep the car after they reassembled it, without a warranty & ended up trading it in & buying a 2013 A4 under warranty again. Fingers crossed...so far so good. After warranty? I'll have to see. I WAS a Toyota gal for years...until my 2009 Camry had that speed control problem. Suddenly lunging forward FAST at unexpected moments! They were unable to fix it, properly. That's the one I traded for my first Audi. Cars are never cheap to maintain but Audi parts ARE more expensive. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Forgot to say

All the hassles aside, i DO love the car!! 😂
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by treilley
Audi's can be very expensive to maintain if you rely on a dealer. A little less if you have a good indy shop nearby. Much better if you do the work yourself but the parts are expensive.

If you want a reliable car that will last 7-10 years that is cheap to maintain you should buy a Toyota.
Doesn't have to be "cheap" I was just curious as to if it was as outrageously expensive as people make it seem. I understand that if you're buying a luxury car you should expect to pay a premium on that and I would expect that anyone else would as well... But people make it seem as though you need to have a 6 figure income to afford one. That was moreso what I was getting at.

Last edited by Jayva; 07-21-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kwiatrose
Javay, I agree. I've had 2 A4s. Bought first one on an impulse purchase , certified, from a dealer. It had 10k miles on it & came with a 3 year warranty. (Important to me as I knew they were expensive to maintain). I, too, was always a "keep it kinda gal". Never intended to buy another one BUT, due to a recall, dealer did engine work on it (pistons...heavy oil consumption).Three months later, at appx 48k miles, a piston spring POPPED & cracked the engine head!! I was horrified as it was 1 month out of warranty!!! I tell you this because although after NUMEROUS phone calls with Audi Corporate, I finally got THEM to pay the $9,000 for the head BUT the dealer wouldn't BUDGE on $3,000 labor (even though, clearly, they were responsible !) Was nervous to keep the car after they reassembled it, without a warranty & ended up trading it in & buying a 2013 A4 under warranty again. Fingers crossed...so far so good. After warranty? I'll have to see. I WAS a Toyota gal for years...until my 2009 Camry had that speed control problem. Suddenly lunging forward FAST at unexpected moments! They were unable to fix it, properly. That's the one I traded for my first Audi. Cars are never cheap to maintain but Audi parts ARE more expensive. Good luck.
Someone warned me about the oil consumption when choosing my car.. Which year was the first audi that you bought?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The B8.5 A4, especially towards the end, 2015-2016, should be fairly reliable.

I think they fixed most of the common problems of the earlier B8's.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Someone warned me about the oil consumption when choosing my car.. Which year was the

The first one was 2009. Had known oil consumption issues (a quart added every 3000 miles) , although it took MANY complaints to service & being told it was normal because of turbo before a recall came out. My 2nd one is 2013. They ASSURED me & I checked with Audi Corporate the issue had been corrected. It HAS, at least in MINE, as I've not had the issue.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kwiatrose
The first one was 2009. Had known oil consumption issues (a quart added every 3000 miles) , although it took MANY complaints to service & being told it was normal because of turbo before a recall came out. My 2nd one is 2013. They ASSURED me & I checked with Audi Corporate the issue had been corrected. It HAS, at least in MINE, as I've not had the issue.
Got it, that makes sense. Yea I haven't read very good things about older audi models but the reliability ratings seem to be on an up trend as of lately.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Jayva...i love the A4. For what it's worth, if you can get a certified car from a dealership for peace of mind, my advice (for what it's worth) ,would be to GO for it!!!

Quick Reply: A4 out of warranty