Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

premium plus or prestige trim? if trying to lease.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default premium plus or prestige trim? if trying to lease.

so i'm starting to rethink about leasing a prestige q7 with BOP since all of the q7 that has the BOP is only for sold orders and the car really have a low residual. is it worth to lease the prestige or should i just go with the premium plus? i really want to have the BOP, but i don't want to make a really wrong financial decision just because i want that package.

any of you guys can shed some light about this please?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done a lot of lease calculations. Leasing is pretty much the same as buying a car, then trading it in after some years. Which is to say, not as good as buying a car, and selling it privately. If you are self-employed and can tax deduct it, a lease has some advantage in how much can be tax deducted. Beyond that, it is just a financing mechanism as it has interest built in.

I think one way to decide is if you want Vision package, warm weather, and 20 inch wheels. If you are going to add those, then adding them to a PP brings you to within $400 of a Prestige, but will be missing the following compared to a Prestige:

1. Interior ambience lighting.
2. Won't have soft-close doors.
3. HUD.

As for a car that has low residual value - if that means one should lease vs not lease - I don't see how that should matter in the decision. Lower residual value is bad for both. For a lease, it raises the lease payments. For a sale, it reduces the resale value. My solution to that is to buy it with every option that I want, and then plan to keep it for at least 10 years.

If you do lease, you should start by planning to buy it. Negotiate a discount off MSRP. Then later change to a lease, and use that negotiated purchase price as the basis for the lease formulas.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 07-25-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
I have done a lot of lease calculations. Leasing is pretty much the same as buying a car, then trading it in after some years. Which is to say, not as good as buying a car, and selling it privately. If you are self-employed and can tax deduct it, a lease has some advantage in how much can be tax deducted. Beyond that, it is just a financing mechanism as it has interest built in.

If you load up a PP to be like a Prestige, it will be missing the following:

1. LED Headlights.
2. Interior ambience lighting.
3. Will have a smaller display.
4. Won't have ventilated seats unless you get the luxury package.
5. Won't have soft-close doors unless you get luxury package.

For this, you will only save about $1500 off the purchase price, and have lower residual value. So my conclusion was that a PP does not make sense unless it is fairly option less. This should apply to leasing as well as purchasing.

As for a car that has low residual value - if that means one should lease vs not lease - I don't see how that should matter in the decision. Lower residual value is bad for both. For a lease, it raises the lease payments. For a sale, it reduces the resale value. My solution to that is to buy it with every option that I want, and then plan to keep it for at least 10 years.

If you do lease, you should start by planning to buy it. Negotiate a discount off MSRP. Then later change to a lease, and use that negotiated purchase price as the basis for the lease formulas.
thanks a lot.. i did use that method of negotiating the MSRP discount and try to change it into a lease.. but after calculation it seems like financing the vehicle would be the better option because the monthly price difference is not much and also there is no mileage limit..
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you load up a PP to be like a Prestige, it will be missing the following:

1. LED Headlights.
4. Won't have ventilated seats unless you get the luxury package.
5. Won't have soft-close doors unless you get luxury package.
PP does not have luxury package, the ventilated seats is with the warm weather package, and no soft-close door option at all.

And also, I remembered the PP (61% for 36month/12k) has higher RV than Prestige (59% for the same). Found these numbers here: https://forums.edmunds.com/discussio...e-questions/p7 . But might not be the same case for 2018.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I fixed my post. Is there anything that a Prestige has included that you can't get on a PP besides:

1. LED Headlights.
4. Won't have soft-close doors.

[edited to add - this is incorrect]

Last edited by rsilvers129; 07-25-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I fixed my post. Is there anything that a Prestige has included that you can't get on a PP besides:

1. LED Headlights.
4. Won't have soft-close doors.
1. LED Headlights. - You can get this in a PP
2. Interior ambience lighting. - Correct
3. Will have a smaller display. - No, display is the same
4. Won't have soft-close doors - Correct
5. HUD
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Now granted I wasn't planning to order my Q7, but when I was looking for my Q7 the few Prestige models I found on dealer lots were priced $5k to $8K more than my prem plus with vision, bose, 20's cold weather etc.. Had I found a Prestige for $400 or even $2K more I probably would have jumped on it.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I see. So since I was incorrect on some of those, that changes the calculation a bunch. Now the main reason to get a Prestige is for the HUD, interior lighting, soft-close doors, and it enables the ability to get the luxury, chassis package, BO, or 21 inch wheels (none of which I got).

But for the $400 more, I did get the interior lighting, soft-close doors, and HUD, which are of course worth $400.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 07-25-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JT4
Now granted I wasn't planning to order my Q7, but when I was looking for my Q7 the few Prestige models I found on dealer lots were priced $5k to $8K more than my prem plus with vision, bose, 20's cold weather etc.. Had I found a Prestige for $400 or even $2K more I probably would have jumped on it.
Probably they had the luxury package. I was lucky in that the dealer had a 2018 coming in with exactly what I would have ordered, except I had settled on plain black paint, and this one had $575 metallic paint, but I was struggling on which of those paints to get anyway, so I am happy the decision was made for me. It did have the stupid USB and hitch cables, but they were nice enough to remove those for me.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:01 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Probably they had the luxury package. I was lucky in that the dealer had a 2018 coming in with exactly what I would have ordered, except I had settled on plain black paint, and this one had $575 metallic paint, but I was struggling on which of those paints to get anyway, so I am happy the decision was made for me. It did have the stupid USB and hitch cables, but they were nice enough to remove those for me.
Yeah, one had the luxury pkg and everything else, adapt chassis, B&O, cold pkg, driver assist, tow, pre-wiring, cables etc. If I remember correctly sticker was close $83K. The other one didn't have the luxury pkg or B&O sticker was around $74,xxx..

Quick Reply: premium plus or prestige trim? if trying to lease.