Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Reasons why the A5 is better than the S5

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reasons why the A5 is better than the S5

Uhhhhhhh... Guys help me get over my A5 prestige slight buyers remorse here... Anyone, anyone?

Cheaper? Yeah for lower end A5 models, maybe, but base grade S5 is supposed to be 55K. Better MPG? Slightly, but who cares... Those aren't selling me... Anything else? thanks
Old 07-26-2017, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd rather have a prestige A5 over a base S5. The tech/features are overall more important to me than more power.

That said, I'm more than happy with my prestige S5.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Inventory? Good luck finding a base level S5

Insurance?

You can always make the case that the next step up is an awesome choice too...both really are terrific cars.

But, is it that you're not happy with your car, or envious of the next car up the chain? Or a little of both?
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Op is the same guy who does not like how the car looks after tinting the windows... if you don't like the look of the car, I don't see how you would like the S5 better.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

More juice.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro just sell the car already and get something else, clearly not happy.

Such an objective post...A5 guys on here love their A5's and the same for the S5 guys. There's no need to state why one is "better" than the other.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by noragrets
Uhhhhhhh... Guys help me get over my A5 prestige slight buyers remorse here... Anyone, anyone?

Cheaper? Yeah for lower end A5 models, maybe, but base grade S5 is supposed to be 55K. Better MPG? Slightly, but who cares... Those aren't selling me... Anything else? thanks
It would be interesting to know the reason or reasons for your slight buyer's remorse. Do you want an A5 with a more powerful engine?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 AM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JSING
A5 guys on here love their A5's and the same for the S5 guys. There's no need to state why one is "better" than the other.
Indeed.

This is known as divestiture aversion a.k.a the Endowment effect.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bro I love my A5, best car I ever had, even better than my 4 cyl turbo 1984 Dodge Conquest! I don't mind the tint now, I like the paint, love the wheels. I don't like the damn stone chip I have on the hood but I have some Dr colorchip coming, will send before and after pics if anyone cares.

But this is a legitimate thread, and the answers so far are fine:

Cost
MPG
Can't find a base one in inventory
Insurance payments
More gadgets versus a base

Maybe the power isn't necessary, I heard someone say one time the A5 is quick but not fast, I kind of agree with that. Other reviewer said A5 has all the power you need.

They probably have the same type of discussions between Mustang 4 or 6 cylinder owners vs the V8s.

Car looks exactly the same would be one reason for the A5. Girlfriends won't know the difference, etc.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JSING
Bro just sell the car already and get something else, clearly not happy.

Such an objective post...A5 guys on here love their A5's and the same for the S5 guys. There's no need to state why one is "better" than the other.
Could not have said it better myself.

S5 = trade a little bit of everyday comfort and quietness (exhaust is louder and potholes are more jarring) and a lot of money (especially at this point, considering your depreciation hit and paying for tint etc etc) for better seats, brakes, power, exhaust, shocks, wheels and tires, exclusivity, etc. It is exactly what it purports to be: a higher performance model of a sport-luxury coupe.

OP, rationalization is a well-studied psychological phenomenon but at the end of the day no amount of it will change what has already happened. I'd suggest you love your car -- it's better than 90% of what you see on the road any way you measure it -- but if you really think you want a different one/step up perhaps go test drive something and objectively decide if it's worth the difference.

Last edited by mplsbrian; 07-26-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Reasons why the A5 is better than the S5