Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Q7 cancelled; help with plan B!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 cancelled; help with plan B!

Placed order for 2018 Q7 on June 12; dealer advises unit will not be built until October, delivered November. Simply cannot wait that long so will be cancelling order. So question is what to buy instead. Possible to find an inventory unit, but dealers in Toronto area have very few Q7's in stock. So assuming I need to look to another brand, what would people suggest as the next best option to the Q7?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at the Volvo XC90, which is typically a "comparable" vehicle. It was not comparable. Not even close on quality, IMHO.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For sure cancel, but find an inventory vehicle. Search wider and have it delivered.

Not sure about Toronto, but if that happened to me, I would search the entire US. Delivery from Florida to MA would probably be $1500 USD.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, do a search in your country and get one on the lot or on the way. The Q7 is so much superior to the competition currently that there is no other good choice imo.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DFAD
Placed order for 2018 Q7 on June 12; dealer advises unit will not be built until October, delivered November. Simply cannot wait that long so will be cancelling order. So question is what to buy instead. Possible to find an inventory unit, but dealers in Toronto area have very few Q7's in stock. So assuming I need to look to another brand, what would people suggest as the next best option to the Q7?
I feel your pain - in terms of waiting - have been waiting for 5 months. Had to rent a vehicle in the meantime.

I terms of replacement suggestion may I suggest other than Audi forum perhaps? :-)

Well, since you asked, I have gone through a similar comparison on the beginning of the year and here's what I came up with:

Are you looking for a 3 row vehicle, sitting at least 6 adults? Your choices are kind of like this:
∙ MB GLS450/550/350 - probably the best in terms of comfort, had 2 for 4 years each, no issues, didn't like what they have done with the last "update"
∙ Toyota Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Highlander - well, they are great SUVs, but very bland and experience is so so.
∙ Lexus GX, LX - same as above, better materials, but blah. Had bad experience in the past with Lexus, would consider again if it was offering anything newer, not the case though.
∙ Volvo XC90 - best competitor, however plagued with all sorts of gremlins and issues, engine too small for the vehicle IMO.
∙ Cadillac Escalate, GMC Yukon - if you like house on wheels, and a giant heating bill... Although nice interiors, and decent electronics. I do have to say, I loved the previous generation on long trips. Maybe not so much as GL, but was very comfortable and the space ...
∙ Acura MDX, Honda Pilot - I was actually impressed with both, however no soul, a bit dated, I would have buyers remorse.
∙ New Lincoln Navigator wasn't available at that time - although from what I have seen, not really impressed with the looks. It may be fine otherwise.
∙ Buick Enclave, Chevy Traverse, Acadia - well, the ride sucks, interior sucks, engine choices suck, well you get the point.
∙ Ford Explorer - decent engine only in sport or platinum, didn't hate it, used to be a Ford guy back in the 80's and 90's, but it didn't feel solid enough, and somewhat dated.
∙ Dodge Durango - well, it just didn't feel right.
∙ There are some models of Hyundai and KIAs with 3rd row, but I didn't look at them, and no mini vans as well.

If you don't need the 3rd row, that opens up your selection to other brands and models:
∙ BMW X5 - I love the way they handle, and how familiar the interior is, however they may feel a bit stiff and bumpy and definitely dated.
∙ Range Rover - Love interior and exterior looks, don't like the nickle and dime on the options, overpriced IMO, and reliability an issue.
∙ MB GLE - would not consider, if MB I would go with the GLS.
∙ Jeep Grand Cherokee - Nice overall, wasn't a fan of the ride though.
∙ Porsche Cayenne - That would have been my first choice if not for the 3rd row need, especially the GTS version.
∙ Various other models from US, EU and Japanese manufacturers that I really did not evaluate over the ones listed above.

There is also a few new vehicles on the market such as Bentayga, Jaguar F-Pace and Maserati Levante to name the few. It's all a matter of how deep is your wallet.

Now, the reason WHY I chose Q7 and decided to wait for it; it had a nice balance of utility, comfort, leading edge technology and drive fun factor. I use my vehicles for long road trips - cross country - this is not a typical use of these vehicles, although frankly that's what they are made for and not and not a trip to yoga or local shopping mall.

For what it's worth, my $.02

Cheers.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

In addition to above 3-row units, take a look at new Mazda CX-9.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My neighbor hates his Escalade.

Also look ar Range Rover if you can spend more than Q7.

I have a Seqoia. I like how it drives. I hate the dash. It has dash from pickup truck.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Consumer Reports ranks the Escalade at the very bottom of the barrel regarding reliability. And mediocre otherwise.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Sorry, but there are only a few real competitors here...X5, GLE/GLS, Porsche, Range Rover. I wouldnt even compare to Mazda, Toyota.....

However, the X5 and GLS/GLE are dated and due for a makeover very soon. New Cayenne is coming this year, and RR is pretty fresh.

So what to do? Range Rover is nice but overpriced, GLS has third row...these are the two options
Old 07-29-2017, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So what to do? Range Rover is nice but overpriced, GLS has third row...these are the two options
Probably could add the XC90 too. Even though there are a few gremlins with the XC90, Land Rover's have been notorious for having gremlins and issues too. And yeah some people happen to get lucky and get a Land Rover with 0 major issues, they still carry the name of being unreliable.

Quick Reply: Q7 cancelled; help with plan B!