Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 - Slack in Drive Train

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 - Slack in Drive Train

I'm just past the 500 mile mark on my week-old RS3, and I've been a good boy keeping revs under 4k and not hot-rodding. Today I started noticing some apparent slack in the drive train when driving slowly (say around 10 mph) in a parking lot. If I touch the accelerator and back off, I can feel some lurching as the drive train slack gets taken up or released. Not a big deal, but surprised me the first time it happened today as I drove slowly through a parking lot (in Comfort mode). Curious if anyone else has notice this. I don't recall experiencing it with the PDK in my Macan.

Last edited by keninblaine; 08-19-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Went to a show tonight, and it did it in the parking lot and as I was pulling out to leave. First time I've noticed it, but it's definitely there!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Sure!

Originally Posted by keninblaine
I'm just past the 500 mile mark on my week-old RS3, and I've been a good boy keeping revs under 4k and not not rodding. Today I started noticing some apparent slack in the drive train when driving slowly (say around 10 mph) in a parking lot. If I touch the accelerator and back off, I can feel some lurching as the drive train slack gets taken up or released. Not a big deal, but surprised me the first time it happened today as I drove slowly through a parking lot (in Comfort mode). Curious if anyone else has notice this. I don't recall experiencing it with the PDK in my Macan.
I believe it's due to it being a beefed up DSG gearbox. It works rather well under power though. I can live with it and am glad to hear that it's not just mine doing it
Old 08-19-2017, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by keninblaine
I'm just past the 500 mile mark on my week-old RS3, and I've been a good boy keeping revs under 4k and not not rodding. Today I started noticing some apparent slack in the drive train when driving slowly (say around 10 mph) in a parking lot. If I touch the accelerator and back off, I can feel some lurching as the drive train slack gets taken up or released. Not a big deal, but surprised me the first time it happened today as I drove slowly through a parking lot (in Comfort mode). Curious if anyone else has notice this. I don't recall experiencing it with the PDK in my Macan.
Take your car out of comfort mode. You should only be driving in that mode if you want your car to slack.

Really. Drive in AUTO.

My 2015 A3 2.0T is near 45K in miles and from my experience Comfort works best in two scenarios. 1. You want a relaxed drive, primarily a loose turning steering wheel over performance. 2. You're driving on the interstate/highway in rush-hour bumper-to-bumper traffic.

If you're not in either of those scenarios, get out of Comfort mode!

Auto Drive Select mode is better suited for most situations and would not slack if you give it the go your 8V needs.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto is only moderately better. It does this in all drive modes, even Dynamic (albeit less so). The trans is garbage at super low speed situations like parking lots and such (my parking ramp is super annoying, especially going down when you're only sporadically applying power). I'm okay with that because of how well it performs everywhere else, but let's not pretend it doesn't exist or is somehow user error for being in the wrong drive mode.

Last edited by mattvandyk; 08-19-2017 at 05:00 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are all of you guys driving your cars in automatic(shift) mode? I wonder whether you driving in manual shift mode will make a difference.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Coming from a 2014 CLA45, the RS3 DSG is smooth like butter even at low speed. I guess this is consider "Normal" for these types of cars. The DCT in E92 M3 is as bad as well.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So far I'm really happy with the performance of my dsg , I leave it in dynamic full time and no backlash. I hear toyota corollas have smooth transmissions...
Old 08-19-2017, 11:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too have the same slow speed clunkiness. I'm taking it back at the dealer next month for them to take a look. Not sure what they can do anything about it. I may have to bite the bullet see if TCU tune will fix this problem.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmay
Are all of you guys driving your cars in automatic(shift) mode? I wonder whether you driving in manual shift mode will make a difference.
Well, yes, it eliminates the problem because the problem is specifically a problem with when the car is shifting itself.