Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

So this happened... :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So this happened... :(

I Parked in a large parking lot next to a curb. When I went to leave I forgot I was next to it, I made a hard right turn and bam. Sooooooo pissed.

Not sure if I should drive the 400 miles back home or wait for a tire to come in to be repaired. I'm visiting friends out of state and dealers / Tire centers are closed until Monday!!!! The tire isn't flat and not loosing any air.

Last edited by Audis3Nano; 08-19-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sucks. That tire damage to the sidewall is bad. I would definitely try to replace before the 400 mile trip. If you can't then swap it to the rear for the drive. Don't forget that the new tire needs to match tread depth of others so it does not screw up the AWD system. This often means shaving the new tire to match. Do not use mismatched tires.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The car has 1,200 miles on it so I think I should be fine repairing this one tire only right?

Originally Posted by LexusLSguy
That sucks. That tire damage to the sidewall is bad. I would definitely try to replace before the 400 mile trip. If you can't then swap it to the rear for the drive. Don't forget that the new tire needs to match tread depth of others so it does not screw up the AWD system. This often means shaving the new tire to match. Do not use mismatched tires.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audis3Nano
The car has 1,200 miles on it so I think I should be fine repairing this one tire only right?
I don't think you can repair that kind of damage to the sidewall. I'd replace the tire.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by keninblaine
I don't think you can repair that kind of damage to the sidewall. I'd replace the tire.
Correct. That tire is not repairable and would be dangerous to drive on. Be sure to replace with same brand, model and size. If not available locally, TireRack should be able to get one to you overnight.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audis3Nano
I Parked in a large parking lot next to a curb. When I went to leave I forgot I was next to it, I made a hard right turn and bam. Sooooooo pissed.

Not sure if I should drive the 400 miles back home or wait for a tire to come in to be repaired. I'm visiting friends out of state and dealers / Tire centers are closed until Monday!!!! The tire isn't flat and not loosing any air.

Oof! Sorry dude! Definitely do NOT try to travel on that. I guarantee that it will blow and you'll be stranded somewhere other than where you are right now. Or in a ditch if it blows under the worst circumstances.

Be safe.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Try Audi Dealer

I had a screw in a tire at 1200 miles and Audi replaced it under warranty and they had the correct Audi tire available - worth a shot
Old 08-20-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitby
I had a screw in a tire at 1200 miles and Audi replaced it under warranty and they had the correct Audi tire available - worth a shot
Wow that's surprising Audi covered that under warranty. Not sure how that fits under the factory warranty, but you're indeed lucky.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You know this was the one reason i bought the extra tire care warranty. It was $1800 but covers this. You get a new tire and wheel under the warranty. I thought at first it was a rip off but i live in NY and huge potholes are a normal every day occurrence. Havent used it yet but pretty sure its just a matter of time.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by elrod_s3
You know this was the one reason i bought the extra tire care warranty. It was $1800 but covers this. You get a new tire and wheel under the warranty. I thought at first it was a rip off but i live in NY and huge potholes are a normal every day occurrence. Havent used it yet but pretty sure its just a matter of time.
Got this beauty last night on I95 heading south from CT to NY (right before the 287 exit) - the roads are insanely bad here....
Attached Thumbnails So this happened... :(-img_20170821_081534635-1-.jpg