Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

Audi RS3 Review Coming from an S3 Owner's Perspective... SOLD After One Week!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Audi RS3 Review Coming from an S3 Owner's Perspective... SOLD After One Week!

So I just bought my RS3 about a week or so ago, and crazy as this may sound, I sold it already.

Please don't think I am an Audi hater or anything like that, because I have had 5 Audi's and loved them all for the most part... But check it out and feel free to comment...

and then I got another S3 about a year later...

Last edited by hbcucat; 09-11-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hbcucat,

Thanks for the honest review. I like your style. You probably just saved me some money after watching your review. You hit the spot of my biggest fear - Audi's lazy pedal/throttle response. It seems to be the common problem on Audi. It's a bummer.

Btw, you the guy traded it for a Raptor right? If it is, would like to hear your review on that too.

Last edited by 20C4S; 08-19-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hbcucat
So I just bought my RS3 about a week or so ago, and crazy as this may sound, I sold it already.

Please don't think I am an Audi hater or anything like that, because I have had 5 Audi's and loved them all for the most part... But check it out and feel free to comment...

First, thanks for giving your perspective especially as a current S3 owner which I'm not as I enjoyed hearing what you personally experienced as a new / previous RS3 owner.

In regards to Homelink and not having power seats (guess Audi wanted to save weight) I completely agree I would like to have seen them on this expensive of a car but obviously it didn't put me off as much as it did you.

Concerning your Lease comments that's where I truly appreciate Audiworld and all of the folks who take the time to give their reviews / comments because even though I never wanted to lease this car, I quickly found out from several other posts that it would be an absolutely horrible financial thing to do with the RS3 which you have obviously completely confirmed.

Throttle response - this is where NOT taking the RS3 for a test drive (or perhaps being able to) worked to your detriment IMO. I had to test drive the car twice to get a "better" overview feel of this car and begin to appreciate it more. I agree that in full auto (plain D mode, NOT Sport mode aka pulling back on the gear selector twice) the response is very docile. I actually appreciated this more on the 2nd drive as I realized that I would be able to utilize this "response" when taking long trips on the highway while utilizing Comfort mode and maximizing my mileage and getting a nice luxury ride for the lack of a better word. Also during my 2nd test drive, I noted that if I put the car (transmission) into it's Sport setting (Not Dynamic mode, yet) the RPM's jumped up a few hundred and made the car's throttle response much better, again IMO. Then when in Dynamic mode, via Driver Select, everything changed. The exhaust sound, throttle response again, firmer suspension, etc and I REALLY enjoyed the RS3 then.

Rear seats space and trunk space were noted but not an issue for me as my children are grown and have children of their own so said another way, I will have plenty of room for my grandchildren for quite some time. :-)

Personally I love the exhaust note especially in Dynamic mode. I understand that you, and others, will not think its loud enough. I did and again, that's where a test drive would have obviously helped you. At least you were able to quickly sell your car and I don't think you're an Audi / RS3 hater at all but I'm sure some will.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually ran across your video yesterday, before you posted this here. The way I interpret your reasoning is this: when driven moderately, the RS3 doesn't offer much more than does the S3. When driven enthusiastically, the RS3 can't compete with the Huaracan. Makes sense. Coming from an MK1 TT and with no Lambo in the garage, I'm still expecting I'll love the RS3!
Good luck with your new ride.
-scot
Old 08-20-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a very good review for those that currently own an S3 and contemplating whether it's worth upgrading to an RS3. I can't help but think a lot of people would think the same as this author. "Normal" daily driving experience may not be anything like what some may think, particularly in comparison to the S3. It seems you have to work this car a bit hard to be able to appreciate the power.

On a completely different note, I didn't realize how shiny the seats were in the RS3. Maybe this is just the camera and the sunlight, but it looks glossy.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
On a completely different note, I didn't realize how shiny the seats were in the RS3. Maybe this is just the camera and the sunlight, but it looks glossy.
I noticed that, too. Are all RS3 seats that shiny? Or were they treated with something?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mf44
I noticed that, too. Are all RS3 seats that shiny? Or were they treated with something?
The 2017 Nardo RS3 that I test drove had dry/matte/flat looking seats at the dealer.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmay
This is a very good review for those that currently own an S3 and contemplating whether it's worth upgrading to an RS3. I can't help but think a lot of people would think the same as this author. "Normal" daily driving experience may not be anything like what some may think, particularly in comparison to the S3. It seems you have to work this car a bit hard to be able to appreciate the power.

You have to take it to a grain of salt, coming off a MKVI GTI stage one ECU, me and my wife took out the S3 for a test drive and found it to have a decent enough power but wanting more. We wanted a car that we didn't want to mod the ecu so we waited for the RS3 instead. Glad we did as it was a night and day imo. Low end torque is much better in daily driving. We find ourselves already over the speed limit just a touch of the throttle. IMHO to get the 5 cylinder motor with the upgraded hp and sound the 10g more price tag is soooo worth it. If you have an S3 or not sure which one to go with, do yourself a favour and test drive both.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by colnago
The 2017 Nardo RS3 that I test drove had dry/matte/flat looking seats at the dealer.
That's my recollection as well from my two test drives.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 20C4S
hbcucat,

Thanks for the honest review. I like your style. You probably just saved me some money after watching your review. You hit the spot of my biggest fear - Audi's lazy pedal/throttle response. It seems to be the common problem on Audi. It's a bummer.

Btw, you the guy traded it for a Raptor right? If it is, would like to hear your review on that too.
You know what. I heard about a guy who traded his RS3 in but he also had a lamborghini. Which was odd... But no, I traded mine in on a good ole 2017 Mustang GT, and as a daily driver, I love it.

Thanks for not bashing me for the honest review even though I wasnt a huge fan of the RS3...