Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Choices Choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Choices Choices

Just curious, if given the choice, which you would choose to buy as a daily driver. Just assuming that this will be 90% a personal car to use for fun, commuting, pleasure:

2018 S5 Coupe

2018 RS3 Sedan

2018 TTRS Coupe

Price is irrelevant, as all are priced within a competitive range.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

For me, I'm really struggling with this decision.

As a point if reference, I've always daily driven 911s and thoroughly enjoyed them. Over the past few years, they have lost that "specialness" for me.

I decided to buy buy an Audi, as I previously owned an RS5 and a RS7. The RS5 was difficult as a DD because always having to be above 4000 rpm to get going. The RS7 was amazing but too big for me.

2 months ago, I purchased a S5 Coupe Presrige to be my DD. I don't love it. Very competent car, fast, great interior, but lacking emotional connnection.

I have the opportunity to jump jump into a 2018 RS3 or a 2018 TTRS. I have driven both and they are far more engaging than the S5.

Deciding in pulling the trigger and would like opinions.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

You should add a poll to your post to make it easier.

Many variables and more info is needed...are you single? Drive alone? Any passengers? Need a back seat?
Also, depending on what roads and conditions you drive, that TTRS might not be the best choice for a DD...but if the conditions were different, it might be a perfect choice.

I may be biased but since I do 95% of my driving alone and otherwise it's only my wife and I and NEVER any passengers, the S5 Coupe suits me best personally.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive approx 400 miles/week so for me, I would choose the S5. The RS3 and TTRS are too small to be comfortable on long drives. We found the headroom is also lacking on the RS3, my husband couldn't sit upright in it. The TT always catches my eye, but ruled it out do to size and lack of tech compared to the S5. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I wanted to add a pole but I can't figure out how!!!

i drive mostly alone or with my fiancé. I'm 50 and kids are all grown. Occasionally have a person in the back but have a BMW X5 for that.

I do drive fairly aggressively, within safe margins, never track cars, but I love acceleration and handling.

Im also 6'3" and 259 lbs, former athlete so not fat but athletically thick.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jaws12audi

i drive mostly alone or with my fiancé. I'm 50 and kids are all grown. Occasionally have a person in the back but have a BMW X5 for that.

I do drive fairly aggressively, within safe margins, never track cars, but I love acceleration and handling.

I'd suggest spending more time in the two RS models you're considering. Test drives are usually fun but living with a car is different as you've discovered with the S5.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've had extended test drives in both.

RS3- fun with practicality. The engine and exhaust are inspiring, very quick, although not much quicker than S5, handling is a step above the S5, comfort is great, tech is in par. No power seat and materials are not quite as luxurious as S5.

TTRS- very Porsche like, wicked acceleration, very comfortable for 2, handles like a gocart, tech is great, almost a true sports car. Downside is exterior size.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:19 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

You may be able to add it if you edit your initial post. Here are the instructions:

Creating and Participating in Polls
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/faq...l&titlesonly=0
Old 08-20-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I've had extended test drives in both.

RS3- fun with practicality. The engine and exhaust are inspiring, very quick, although not much quicker than S5, handling is a step above the S5, comfort is great, tech is in par. No power seat and materials are not quite as luxurious as S5.

TTRS- very Porsche like, wicked acceleration, very comfortable for 2, handles like a gocart, tech is great, almost a true sports car. Downside is exterior size.
I'd think the exterior size of the TTRS (small) would be a positive, with interior room potentially being a downside. Difficult decision!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:35 PM
N8!
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I think you would like the room and feel of the A5/S5 Sportback vs a two door coupe and the much larger A7.

Have you sampled one yet?