Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

RS3 break in procedure

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS3 break in procedure

Hey guys, long time lurker and just took delivery of my 17 rs3 last week. During pickup my sales rep at biener Audi told me that the RS engines are tested extensively and do not need a traditional break in. The manual is also an a3 manual so I'm wondering what is the break procedure actually. im skeptical to drive it hard or exceed 5k rpm despite my sales reps reassurance (as i assume it was b.s.)
Old 09-08-2017, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Haggy
Hey guys, long time lurker and just took delivery of my 17 rs3 last week. During pickup my sales rep at biener Audi told me that the RS engines are tested extensively and do not need a traditional break in. The manual is also an a3 manual so I'm wondering what is the break procedure actually. im skeptical to drive it hard or exceed 5k rpm despite my sales reps reassurance (as i assume it was b.s.)
During the first 600 miles no going over 4K on rpms and not holding a constant rpm for long time periods. Then from 600 to 1,000 miles you can go up to 5K but still no full throttle stops and no constant rpms for long time periods.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by heisnuts
During the first 600 miles no going over 4K on rpms and not holding a constant rpm for long time periods. Then from 600 to 1,000 miles you can go up to 5K but still no full throttle stops and no constant rpms for long time periods.
This is straight from the manual:

"Breaking in:
A new vehicle must be broken in for the first 1,000 miles (1,500 km). Do not drive at speeds that will exceed 2/3 of the maximum permitted engine speed (RPM) for the first 600 miles (1,000 km), and avoid full acceleration during this period . You may gradually start increasing the RPM and the speed between 600 miles (1,000 km) and 1,000 miles (1,500 km) . During the first hours of use, the engine has a higher internal friction than later on when all moving parts have settled into place with each other.

How the vehicle is driven during the first 1,000 miles (1 ,500 km) also affects the engine quality. Drive at moderate engine speeds after the initial break-in period, particularly when running a cold engine . This will reduce
engine wear and improve the mileage. Do not drive at too low of an engine speed (RPM). Shift down if the engine stops running "smoothly". Extremely high engine speeds are automatically reduced ."

Engine break-in has been, and probably will always remain a source of contention among gear heads. For me personally, warming an engine up / cooling it down properly is always important and NOT using cruise control (constant RPM's) during engine break-in are the most important considerations IMO.
The following users liked this post:
audisicko (05-29-2020)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by russbert
Engine break-in has been, and probably will always remain a source of contention among gear heads.
I agree. Its weird too because the people that know the most about the products put out such an extensive guide stating very specifically what to do during the break in. But you still get rando_poster_23 giving differing advice. I assume that same poster is giving advice on how to mix up 4 components to produce bullet proof engine racing oil.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yesterday I went to a new owner clinic at the dealership from which my RS3 was purchased. I was again told by one of the sales associates that there is no recommended break in period for the RS3 engine. Although I have been careful to observe warm up periods and have minimized full throttle operation to the highest RPM range and long steady speeds I have not babied the car and have enjoyed its overall performance capabilities. Only time will tell how these engines hold up to which ever break in routine new owners follow.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by leecarrera
Yesterday I went to a new owner clinic at the dealership from which my RS3 was purchased. I was again told by one of the sales associates that there is no recommended break in period for the RS3 engine. Although I have been careful to observe warm up periods and have minimized full throttle operation to the highest RPM range and long steady speeds I have not babied the car and have enjoyed its overall performance capabilities. Only time will tell how these engines hold up to which ever break in routine new owners follow.
Looks like that sales associate has not even taken the time to read the owners manual of the $60K product they are selling. That would make me wonder how much they really know about the car if they were the ones putting on this new owner clinic.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't matter what any dealer, tech or manual says - always break-in your car - it can never hurt - there is a lot of rubbing metal in a new engine, let it wear gently - vary your RPMs as much as possible and keep it low, like 4k rpms or lower.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My delivery rep also told me that no break-in is required on the RS3 engines, that they are tested and run in at the factory.

I am actually far more inclined to believe that than the generic break-in instructions provided in the A3 manual with no RS3-specific comments. Did you guys also notice the instructions for your new brakes? Something like "drive gently for the first 500 miles" - yeah, that's written by the lawyers, not the engineers. Go look up Stoptech or Brembo brake bedding instructions No, the lawyers will never allow the owners manual to tell people the proper brake bedding procedure, so the "factory" instructions are inferior.

Remember, lawyers write owners manuals, not engineers! OK, to be fair, the engineers might write the first draft, then the lawyers review and say "we can't say that, let's be safe and say this". (I hate lawyers... I am a mechanical engineer)

The RS3 engine uses a new plasma coating process in the aluminum cylinder bores - there sure as hell is no metal on metal rubbing in the initial running of the engine. This is 2017, not 1957! Tolerances and machining finishes are designed to much tighter clearances and finishes directly from the factory assembly line, the final desired finish in the cylinder bores and on the rings is present when the engine is assembled, not 1,000 miles later.

That said - I haven't let mine run to redline or the rev limiter, and I haven't tried launch control yet. I will be well past 1,600 km before I try those. That's more mechanical empathy than slavish following of lawyer's CYA dictates, however.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GordonC
My delivery rep also told me that no break-in is required on the RS3 engines, that they are tested and run in at the factory.
There is still a lot of metal-on-metal parts to break-in - in the trans, the wheel bearings, the clutch, the turbo - and I just don't believe that break-in on an engine with that much compression can really happen at the factory - not sure they can legally sell a car as new with an engine that has 500 "miles" on it.

Check out that oil pan on the first change - sparkly as a striper's skin for sure.

Question I would ask, why NOT break it in?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:43 AM
2019 RS3 ordered 1-5-2019

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
There is still a lot of metal-on-metal parts to break-in - in the trans, the wheel bearings, the clutch, the turbo - and I just don't believe that break-in on an engine with that much compression can really happen at the factory - not sure they can legally sell a car as new with an engine that has 500 "miles" on it.

Check out that oil pan on the first change - sparkly as a striper's skin for sure.

Question I would ask, why NOT break it in?

[quote]Question I would ask, why NOT break it in?[/QUOTE]

Exactly !!!

Quick Reply: RS3 break in procedure