Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

A5 Sportback: How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A5 Sportback: How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?

Hi,

I am planning on purchasing A5 Sportback for long distance touring, so I want the ride to be as soft as possible and I want the regular suspension with 18" wheels and all season tires. I have a different car with more aggressive suspension for fun.

However, I am having trouble finding an A5 SB equipped how I want WITHOUT the S-Line which includes the Sport Suspension.

I could order but don't want to wait 3 months to get the car.

I can't drive the regular and sports suspension to compare because I don't have any close to me and even if I did, not sure that I could tell based on test drive.

Since I can't find the car that I want without S-Line with Sports Suspension, I am tempted to just give in and get the sport suspension, so my question is:

Could you please share your thoughts on how much difference there is between regular vs Sport Suspension on A5 SB especially with 18" wheels?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NorthernMI
Hi,

I am planning on purchasing A5 Sportback for long distance touring, so I want the ride to be as soft as possible and I want the regular suspension with 18" wheels and all season tires. I have a different car with more aggressive suspension for fun.

However, I am having trouble finding an A5 SB equipped how I want WITHOUT the S-Line which includes the Sport Suspension.

I could order but don't want to wait 3 months to get the car.

I can't drive the regular and sports suspension to compare because I don't have any close to me and even if I did, not sure that I could tell based on test drive.

Since I can't find the car that I want without S-Line with Sports Suspension, I am tempted to just give in and get the sport suspension, so my question is:

Could you please share your thoughts on how much difference there is between regular vs Sport Suspension on A5 SB especially with 18" wheels?
So I just picked up my A5SB premium plus without the sports package and I would be happy to give you my thoughts on it.

Initially I had test driven the car with the sports suspension and I did not find it comfortable for everyday drive in the streets of Boston which is loaded with pot holes and uneven roads all over.

I have to say that it was the best decision I made. The none S-line package for daily commute is much more comfortable. I have been pushing the car to the limits in terms of handling (compared it with my friends car which has the sports suspension) and the cars are right on par. I noticed almost no difference in terms of handling but comfort wise, mine is more comfortable for daily driving.

The down side is that the wheels are not as nice as they are on the S-line but then again you can always get your own wheels. Also, you dont get the s-line logo which I did not care about much.

You also have the option to go with the prestige model and add adaptive suspension which is extra $$$...

I hope that helps....
Old 09-18-2017, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi A5SBpez,

Congratulations on your new A5 SB and thank you so much for your post which is EXACTLY what I needed to know.

I agree, I like the wheels and other trim on the S-line, and even the 19" wheels for looks, but my top priority is long distance touring so I am exactly in the same boat as you.

Thank you much. Perfect!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking for help

I have B9 A4 no sport package....18in wheels...I love the ride. Had a loaner with sport pack and found ride a little more firm and not to my liking.
I am planning on ordering sportback and want same ride quality and not sure if i want Sline package since it has sport package. I have not driven the SB....From comments so far it seems I do not want sport pack to keep ride the same as the A4 I have....any thoughts would be appreciated. Also what do you give up besides the S line badges by not getting that package.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Donald Bruno
I have B9 A4 no sport package....18in wheels...I love the ride. Had a loaner with sport pack and found ride a little more firm and not to my liking.
I am planning on ordering sportback and want same ride quality and not sure if i want Sline package since it has sport package. I have not driven the SB....From comments so far it seems I do not want sport pack to keep ride the same as the A4 I have....any thoughts would be appreciated. Also what do you give up besides the S line badges by not getting that package.
You are correct. For everyone who says the A4 and A5 are essentially the same car minus the design, I would disagree. The A5 sportback is a much more firmer ride and so is the handling (better handling) hence the name "sportback". It is a coup design and it is a bit heavier than the A4. To me, the A4 seemed a bit faster on take off (possibly due to its lighter weight) but when it came turning, the A5SB performed much better.

The S-line sport package gives you these options for an extra $1300:
18" 5-arm-star design wheels with all-season tires
Front sport seats with 4-way power lumbar
Illuminated S line stainless steel door sills
Sport suspension
S line fender badges
S line bumpers
S line side sill blades
Old 09-27-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 18" wheels with sport suspension (B8 platform)

I'm wondering if you guys could give me your input as I am in a similar situation with a 2014 A5. I just bought it last week and it has every option I wanted and also the sport package and 19" wheels (which look amazing). I am now regretting the ride as I too am in the northeast. It's not horrible, I have the suspension set to Comfort and running the tire pressure at 29lbs cold. My thought is, can I "split the difference" and get a better ride with new 18" rims and leave the suspension alone. The car only has 20k miles so I'm not interested in swapping out struts/shocks yet.
How much do you think the rims versus the suspension play into the harshness? I definitely want a more compliant ride and hoping that 18's might improve the ride by 30-40%? (making up a number).

And, if anyone is looking for a set of "Rotor" 19's with brand new Conti's (200 miles), I might be selling.

thanks
Bob
Old 09-27-2017, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sportback with sport suspension

Originally Posted by A8CT
I'm wondering if you guys could give me your input as I am in a similar situation with a 2014 A5. I just bought it last week and it has every option I wanted and also the sport package and 19" wheels (which look amazing). I am now regretting the ride as I too am in the northeast. It's not horrible, I have the suspension set to Comfort and running the tire pressure at 29lbs cold. My thought is, can I "split the difference" and get a better ride with new 18" rims and leave the suspension alone. The car only has 20k miles so I'm not interested in swapping out struts/shocks yet.
How much do you think the rims versus the suspension play into the harshness? I definitely want a more compliant ride and hoping that 18's might improve the ride by 30-40%? (making up a number).

And, if anyone is looking for a set of "Rotor" 19's with brand new Conti's (200 miles), I might be selling.

thanks
Bob
Yesterday I test drove SB with sport suspension and one without......And there is a big difference in ride,,,,don't know about handling but I have B9 A4(18in) no sport and want same ride with the SB. Just aint going to happen with sport suspension both had 18in wheels. I would go for non S line without sport but the only wheels you can get with that option are the 10 spoke...and I don't care for then...want the 5 spoke which means going for S line....bummer. So now I don't know what to do...not going to buy another set of rims...no sense to me. So Iam sitting on that sale for a while.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yesterday I test drove SB with sport suspension and one without......And there is a big difference in ride,,,,don't know about handling but I have B9 A4(18in) no sport and want same ride with the SB. Just aint going to happen with sport suspension both had 18in wheels. I would go for non S line without sport but the only wheels you can get with that option are the 10 spoke...and I don't care for then...want the 5 spoke which means going for S line....bummer. So now I don't know what to do...not going to buy another set of rims...no sense to me. So Iam sitting on that sale for a while.
Donald, thank you for your post which confirms exactly what A5SBpez wrote previously on this thread.

I am in the same boat as you....if I could have found the color and options that I wanted, I would have already purchased an S-Line mostly for the wheels because, like you, I liked them better than the standard 10 spokes. Fortunately, I was not able to find the S-line vehicle that I wanted because for me, that would have been a big mistake because based on what you and A5SBpez are saying, I do not want the sport suspension.

In my case, I am planning on going with the non S-line version so that I have the ride that I want which unfortunately includes the base 10 spoke wheels. Maybe the wheels will grow on me and if they don't, they are a lot of nice looking wheels out there that aren't hugely expensive....I can replace the wheels, keep the tires and get both the ride and the look that I want. :-)

Thank you again and Happy Hunting!

Last edited by NorthernMI; 10-03-2017 at 05:58 AM. Reason: corrected spelling of A5SBpez
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NorthernMI
Donald, thank you for your post which confirms exactly what A5SBpez wrote previously on this thread.

I am in the same boat as you....if I could have found the color and options that I wanted, I would have already purchased an S-Line mostly for the wheels because, like you, I liked them better than the standard 10 spokes. Fortunately, I was not able to find the S-line vehicle that I wanted because for me, that would have been a big mistake because based on what you and A5SBpez are saying, I do not want the sport suspension.

In my case, I am planning on going with the non S-line version so that I have the ride that I want which unfortunately includes the base 10 spoke wheels. Maybe the wheels will grow on me and if they don't, they are a lot of nice looking wheels out there that aren't hugely expensive....I can replace the wheels, keep the tires and get both the ride and the look that I want. :-)

Thank you again and Happy Hunting!
You know....I really want the S line...but not that suspension....so its out for me.....and maybe ,just maybe those 10 spoke will grow on me too.....I just hate to spend another grand to get decent rims and have the tires changed....so maybe they aren't that bad and will grow on me...ha -ha....are we the only one's that don't like those 10 spokers.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

.....I just hate to spend another grand to get decent rims and have the tires changed.....
Look at it this way....you SAVE $ 1,250 by NOT getting the S-Line, so if you spend $ 1K or so to get new wheels (keep same tires), maybe even sell your 10 spokers to someone for winter wheels, you are maybe money ahead or cost-neutral at worst, but most importantly, you have the perfect car that you want....suspension and wheels....for less or the same money. What's not to like about that? :-)

.......so maybe they aren't that bad and will grow on me...ha -ha....are we the only one's that don't like those 10 spokers.
No, I don't think that we are the only ones....that's why you see dealers ordering so many S-Lines and/or 19" wheels and very few of the base 10 spoke wheels.

Last edited by NorthernMI; 10-03-2017 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: A5 Sportback: How Do Regular and S-Line Sport Suspension Compare?