A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I'm stealing this thread a little since you're here TOM - The other day after talking to you, I thought I would do something for you at Christmas, I ordered a few Video ICs, some connectors, cables from China, yes China to retrofit your original head unit so you can add TV tuner, listen to music, or watch TV while waiting to see your children in the car... ONLY if you trust me doing the retrofit on your Head Unit. All parts should be here by Oct 25th. I'll make the cables for the TV Tuner, or better yet, I may buy one if I found something CHEAP... LOL. I'll make everything, all you need to do is to mount them... You can do that can't you TOM? Again, ONLY if you WANT and trust me with your MMI head unit...
I order a few so in case someone else want something for Xmas...
Won't you like this TOM?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXmJ9qzaAgs
Cheers,
Louis

LOUIE, YOU SO KRA-KRA

You're too kind my friend. Of course I would welcome ANYthing on that screen besides the monochrome text! Lately the BT to FM adapter I've been using is driving me nuts - especially if I'm jamming some cool tunes and someone calls or texts (evidently there's no way to prevent all interruptions on the el cheapo LGXpower).
Would this enable VCDS gauge display on the MMI screen? That'd be cool. I don't miss TV (except for mirroring the phone display / waze, that'd be cool) but to have 6-8 custom gauges via VCDS would be da bomb!
I am running VCDS on an old W7 machine, updated (of course) to W10. I could install it in the trunk but I foresee a PITA booting and updating... every time. Any ideas welcome (we should start a new thread).

Thank you Louis, you mountain of karma
Tom
Old 10-07-2017, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Ok, many years ago, I was in a lonely position with practically NADA but Debt - At night listening to this song, never thought of the name until today... My wife said she's blabbing but it felt something with my situation then... Anyhow, off topic, here is the song... You in Moronville may not like the artist.

OK, I do not use VCDS, so never ask me anything about VCDS - Here is a bad Karma, giving instruction or encourage someone to use VCDS without being there helping them is like giving a kid a loaded gun and tell him to do good with it. People screwed up their car due to being ignorant or followed a wrong procedure and guests what? Did anyone ever read the disclaimer on all procedures on VCDS website. I do know a lot about programming, hacking, they pay me not too little bucks to test, audit these programming software, my procedure has no disclaimer, only operator errors... So spare me with the VCDS. I only use it as a reader or reset the eBrake.

I like to do things that enhance quality of life, since you're from a Moronville, still using FM transmitter Bluetooth Streaming... and this year may not be one of your best year, ASSuming you're a wonderful man who fell, I want to do something nice for you since you need to keep your spirit up for the Holiday season... here is the deal.

When I do something, I plan it, and execute correctly so I don't have to do it twice - it's called Quality work - Do it right the first time - I'm truly famous for this... :-)

So, let's make sure what your like to have playing on your 04 A8L or 05? What's the limitation of the model compare to mine 06? We may need some experts here who actually did do what we're planning to chime in since I don't know much about 04 or 05 models.

- TV tuner is given - I've just offered a few fo see which one sells to me. I need it by the end of October.
- You need to add FBAS to your Head unit to turn it into "A" for VIDEO input. These are coming October 25. I ordered 3 sets, just in case. It will take my lady friend 1 hour to solder everything on your head unit, so you should have it back in a few days dependent upon how cheap we want to ship... :-)

- When the TV tuner gets here, I need to verify to make sure it works on my car with all the cables before I send it to you.
- The Bluetooth dongle is given with the system, will be mounted in the back of your car and will turn on when your car ignition is on - We need to set it up for your car since I haven't done mine yet ... LOL. All you need is to pair your phone with it and play - You can do that, can't you, TOM? :-)
- Since you like the idea of mirroring your phone to the MMI, what phone do you have TOM, APPLE or GOOGLE? or Broken Windows? The reason is if it's NOT iPhone, I have to set it up and tested with your type of phone to make sure it works - That's how we do things in Silicon Valley - Test everything thoroughly before we ship not guessing or praying.
- I'll make the cables with Labels so it's Idiot proof (pardon my language - creature of habit) for you to connect perfectly.
- Do you have extra optical and power cables hanging in the back for the Satellite radio or you need to get them? You need them. I want to sync everything perfectly so you can have your present up and running before Thanksgiving or even Halloween. You can let your kids pair their phones and play their music in your car... isn't that nice? Family bonding time...
- So, you're in Moronville and I'm in Uglyville, we need to plan and sync according to a schedule to achieve something nice for you before Xmas 2017 nor 2018. LOL.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Does anyone know the differences among the TV tuners

4e0 919 146 (& A) & (B) & (C)? I know the NONE works with mine 06?

Cheers,

Louis
Old 10-07-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I love that song but have never heard the a capella version... strange it has the Christmas logo (?) in the corner!

I like the rereleased "disco" version, it's a slammin' tune. Got it on CD somewhere - movie soundtrack or something... Spotify here I come!

I use (currently) LG Xpower which is android but for my PC i use Kubuntu Linux and I ABHOR Winduhs. so an Iphone is not too much of a stretch, except financially... I'll start looking for deals. Any recommendations on which model (even used) has best value-for-the-$ ?

I may live in Moronville but have been diagnosed as having "Genius" IQ but that was waaaay back in high school (had the highest ACT score in my class of 550 kids) not to brag. It seems I can't quite function correctly according to certain people's standards of late...
Old 10-07-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aTOMic
I love that song but have never heard the a capella version... strange it has the Christmas logo (?) in the corner!

I like the rereleased "disco" version, it's a slammin' tune. Got it on CD somewhere - movie soundtrack or something... Spotify here I come!

I use (currently) LG Xpower which is android but for my PC i use Kubuntu Linux and I ABHOR Winduhs. so an Iphone is not too much of a stretch, except financially... I'll start looking for deals. Any recommendations on which model (even used) has best value-for-the-$ ?

I may live in Moronville but have been diagnosed as having "Genius" IQ but that was waaaay back in high school (had the highest ACT score in my class of 550 kids) not to brag. It seems I can't quite function correctly according to certain people's standards of late...
LOL... I've never had high score of any test... I hated tests, just so happy to get my BS. I'm sure you're a natural "A", to call a city "Moronville" you must be extremely confident . Here is the disco version?
You hooked up a laptop to your car?
Please take a picture of your devices in the trunk so I can see what you have there.
Amazing how long these parts take... You may not have everything done before Thanksgiving.
Don't change phone on this account, if you like Android, just use it. FWIW, I think the Samsung is much better than the iPhone, but since my family is using them, they want me to join their iMessages.
take years to get here...

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-07-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are the things we need for your TV Tuner

Do you have hotspot on your phone and data plan? Do you have unlimited data plan or by GIGs? I need to learn how to mirror android...
You need one of these for your phone...
Audio Bluetooth dongle in the trunk...
This is the best wifi mirroring setup - a little messy but I can put it in an enclosure
Actually, I'll build a box to put all these in so you can mount it somewhere with just connectors for you to plug into the TV tuner and Power.

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 10-07-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

4e0 919 146 (& A) & (B) & (C)? I know the NONE works with mine 06?

Cheers,

Louis
Hello Louis,
I *** u me by "NONE" you meant you used just the 146 with no prefix letter in your 06.....

As far as the letters go, the are just the revisions, I know the 4E0 919 146, 146 A, and 146 C are all analog, and only analog, I have never seen a 146 "B", NOW on the other hand, I know the 4E0 910 148, 148 A, 148 B, and the 148 D are all the "Hybrid" units with analog and digital, with the digital being Europe's DVB-T, hence the "146" VS. the "148" , hope this helps.

Hello Thomass !!!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Louis, the ability to actually watch broadcast TV is not important to me at all, although I don't know if it's necessary to get this system to work. I should mention that I have the BMW "puck" on the green car which I intend to install the bLouTooz system in, and it does connect to BT for phone but not songs (I hate to admit I have not tried it on the "new" LG phone, but the sound quality sucks for phone so... ). I'll check it shortly.

Originally Posted by Giovanni Giovino 6.0+6.0TT
...Hello Thomass !!!
JJ Ima come up there and punch you RIGHT in the FOKIN' HEAD!!

(This line was made famous when my then 13-y/o daughter and I went to Vineland NJ to get my puppy from my cousin, a true vulgarian). Every time I tried to give him cash for the ($1500) dog he'd threaten me - seriously - with that. Also any time anybody pissed him off, or a dog disobeyed, or we got stopped by a train - he'd threaten to PUNCH IT RIGHT IN THE F'IN HEAD". After the 100th time asking him please don't use that word in front of my kid, I gave up, and from then on my daughter and I would laugh our asses off every time he said it. This frustrated him to the point that he had to find a new expression to convey his anger, but after a while his (actual) anger turned to laughing it off because he'd start to say "I'm gonna PUNCH..". and then we'd all start laughing. It was like something from an anger management course. I think it really made him aware of how many times he'd lose his temper, and in the end, he controlled it!
He was just here visiting, left yesterday; we didn't have to punch each other in the head at all. Threatened only a couple times. Great guy.

Ciao paisą
Old 10-07-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by aTOMic
Louis, the ability to actually watch broadcast TV is not important to me at all, although I don't know if it's necessary to get this system to work. I should mention that I have the BMW "puck" on the green car which I intend to install the bLouTooz system in, and it does connect to BT for phone but not songs (I hate to admit I have not tried it on the "new" LG phone, but the sound quality sucks for phone so... ). I'll check it shortly.
Ciao paisą
Perfect, it costs me a few hours trying to find the Android Apps to mirror. NONE working. I think Apple pays companies make it hard for Android to play. iPhone works perfectly. So, the mirroring is OUT. Now, it's much easier with just the bluetooth dongle.
If you want to see the songs - only Raspberry Pie will do with a flash drive full of your music.
Johnny,
Thanks for the info, yes, the plain 146 works. I don't know if other versions would do.
Old 10-07-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Johnny,
Thanks for the info, yes, the plain 146 works. I don't know if other versions would do.
Yes, either the 146 or 148 will work, I have installed both in my 05, first the 146 analog, all worked as indented, but of course no TV as analog was long gone, then I upgraded to the 148 digital hybrid plus the oem antennas, my mistake, back then I mistook the "digital" of the 148 to mean it would work here, I was wrong.... But I left it in place as the 148 also allows for A/V output from pins 4-8 to feed my RSE if needed.

Quick Reply: Crazy Louie's E-Z MMI Interface (AKA What I Want for Christmas)