Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 MKII Discussion forum for the 2015 to 2022 Audi A3, S3 and RS3 - including the upcoming E-tron and TDI models

New Car & Driver review:

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Car & Driver review:

When people complain about the price for a "small car" I wonder what they think the Cayman and 911 are. Are they not small cars? BMW M2 may be even smaller.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...s3-test-review
Old 10-17-2017, 04:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My morning ritual at work is to check my FB feed, reddit, then open audiworld, audizine, vwvortex, then check caranddriver for a review. Thanks, been waiting a couple months for this.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the review was good. The comments of course are the best - where the masses come and tell us how much better value a Mustang or Challenger are.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I learned a new word, stonking

or its a typo.

Yeah, "small car" is a really annoying moniker in this review - even for car & driver.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Well, I learned a new word, stonking

or its a typo.

Yeah, "small car" is a really annoying moniker in this review - even for car & driver.
FWIW, while it may not be a "small car", it has noticeably less rear seat leg room, and much less trunk space than my '13 Jetta GLI. I had been waiting since last summer to get an RS3, and glad I didn't pre-order if this was to be my "one car"...2nd guessing as I really feel like I'd be giving up a good deal of space. Started looking into an S6, but apparently the Jetta has more rear leg room than it as well, despite being a foot longer.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BaltimoreCaesar
My morning ritual at work is to check my FB feed, reddit, then open audiworld, audizine, vwvortex...
I'm slipping...didn't notice you were on the vortex RS3 thread, even when I'm also checking it everyday. Shout out from fellow tex'er in MD.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nachos Libres
I thought the review was good. The comments of course are the best - where the masses come and tell us how much better value a Mustang or Challenger are.
+1 And especially when the person making the comment about the rear seating capacity prefers a Mustang ... yea, there's a LOT of back seat space in there!

However, for me personally I've heard all of these arguments before re: Corvette vs my 911 Turbo and I'm sure I will hear several around the RS3 and ______ (fill in the blank with any car you choose). I don't really care what anyone else thinks. The RS3 passed MY internal test, I can afford it, and I feel lucky to have one coming fairly soon. End of Story!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by russbert
+1 And especially when the person making the comment about the rear seating capacity prefers a Mustang ... yea, there's a LOT of back seat space in there!

However, for me personally I've heard all of these arguments before re: Corvette vs my 911 Turbo and I'm sure I will hear several around the RS3 and ______ (fill in the blank with any car you choose). I don't really care what anyone else thinks. The RS3 passed MY internal test, I can afford it, and I feel lucky to have one coming fairly soon. End of Story!
I'm with you there. The reason I drive the cars I drive (now the S3 and before the STI) was that I wanted something that the masses didn't all drive. My friend has a GT350 and while it is a fun car to drive - it looks like almost every other Mustang on the road, and there are a lot of Mustangs on the road. I think I've seen one S3 in the town of 100k people that I live in in the 3 months that I've had the car.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by colnago
FWIW, while it may not be a "small car", it has noticeably less rear seat leg room, and much less trunk space than my '13 Jetta GLI. I had been waiting since last summer to get an RS3, and glad I didn't pre-order if this was to be my "one car"...2nd guessing as I really feel like I'd be giving up a good deal of space. Started looking into an S6, but apparently the Jetta has more rear leg room than it as well, despite being a foot longer.
Jetta is a larger car. A lot of cars are larger. A Ford Fusion is larger too. I still don't get why a 2-seater, like a Cayman, can be $85,000 and small, and people say it is great. But you make a sedan that seats three more people, charge less for it, and "it is too small."
Old 10-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Jetta is a larger car....
I always thought the S/RS3 and Jettas were built on the same chassis, given similar size, shape, body panels. I was hoping my eyes were playing tricks on me when looking at pics of the trunk and thinking it may just be a longer window line, and not just a shorter trunk. It wasn't until I drove the RS3, and then compared the dimensions, that I realized the 3s were "shorter" (RS3 is 7" wider, and they have equal front leg room)...was only comparing it to my gen Jetta. I am also thinking about keeping it, and adding a Cayman. No way I'd compare the RS3 to the Cayman's size/carrying capacity, but I know my bike will fit in the Cayman, I had to think twice about whether it would in the RS3 (without taking off the back wheel). I still wouldn't call the RS3 a "small car", just a car that may not have fit some of the larger items I've had to carry over the years.

Quick Reply: New Car & Driver review: