Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Vibration getting worse at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Vibration getting worse at idle

At 1100 rpms I'm getting a stronger and louder vibration somewhere near the front of the car. The ash tray vibrates horribly and so does the front license plate. I'm guessing a motor/trans mount or maybe a fouled up plug. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 10-17-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My take on Audi’s and vibration is that the longitudinal engine placement in the A6 exacerbates any vibration. Transversely mounted engines like most Japanese and other brands have (as well as Audi A3’s and TT’s) transmit less vibration into the car.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has had a rough idle since I purchased it CPO. At the time of purchase they claimed it was normal. Now for the 75k service I am having them check some unusual shifting at lower speeds. Technician says that one or more motor mounts could be the culprit. I mentioned the rough idle and he claimed that it probably due to the motor mount(s). His solution is to either adjust the mounts or replace them. While I don't know how they go about adjusting them, but replacement I am familiar with.
I'll post back later this week when I pick up the car.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy de Groot
Mine has had a rough idle since I purchased it CPO. At the time of purchase they claimed it was normal. Now for the 75k service I am having them check some unusual shifting at lower speeds. Technician says that one or more motor mounts could be the culprit. I mentioned the rough idle and he claimed that it probably due to the motor mount(s). His solution is to either adjust the mounts or replace them. While I don't know how they go about adjusting them, but replacement I am familiar with.
Rough idle or a vibration at idle?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good question. I should have reread your post. Mine is a rough idle, not while moving. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy de Groot
I've had my 2012 A6 3.0 for about 3 months now. I also have slight rough idle/vibration and weird shifting patterns. Of course the dealer says both are normal. I did my plugs recently for 55k service and found the valve cover gasket leaking oil in two of the driver side spark plug cylinders. I had the dealer replace the valve cover gasket, which is a warranty item available on my extended warranty, but the cost to fix was less than the $250 deductible. I also replaced the air filter myself which was quite dirty. I was hoping both of these fixes would smooth out the idle but it hasn't really changed. I can see the passenger seat and seat belt latch visibly vibrating at idle. It's not a huge deal but annoying.

The shifting is something that I am pretty annoyed about and can't imagine it's normal. Whether in comfort or dynamic, the shifting is not consistent and difficult to control. For example, when taking off at a light, I might start to slowly accelerate, but then want to speed up, so I press the accelerator ever so slightly further. The transmission downshifts immediately and I shoot forward much quicker than intended. At other times, I want to accelerate quickly for a spirited launch or something, and as soon as I depress the accelerator, the transmission goes and upshifts instead of downshifts! So with moderately high throttle from standstill the car will upshift at around 2k rpm to the next gear and do the same for the next couple gears in quick succession. Lately I've just been shifting myself with the tiptronic, which works great.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

more than most likely is your engine mount
Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Vodka G
more than most likely is your engine mount
+1!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have some vibration at idle as well and members reported the likely engine mount issue and that theirs were silky smooth at idle. Mine isn't that bad so I'm not too concerned about addressing it right now, but if it gets worse I will take it to the indy. In my search on here or the other site someone said they tested this by popping the hood and having someone put it in drive, press the brake, and apply a little throttle while they looked for engine movement. In that case I think he said it was rocking several inches which is scary.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just picked up my vehicle today. At idle the engine has little or no vibration anymore. +1
While driving I noticed no harshness with shifting. It felt buttery smooth. +2
Some comments made on the work order, "customer states harsh shifting, road tested, verified harsh shifting. Further inspection found engine mounts to be ruptured. Replaced mounts, performed 4 wheel alignment, road test. Clunk no longer present, but shifting still harsh. Performed standstill adaptions of trans clutches. Road tested, shifting is smoother at this time." Not verbatim, but hopefully enough information.
I'll drive it again tomorrow and report further findings. A bit tired today as I just flew in from Chicago and arrived home at 1:30 in the morning. Not much sleep.

Quick Reply: Vibration getting worse at idle