Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

If you're trading in your TDI...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default If you're trading in your TDI...

I am sharing this with all of you who are waiting for a new car and are trading in your TDI so you don't find yourself in my predicament. I ordered a Prestige in July with the intention of giving them back my '10 TDI when the new car came in. Part of the process requires you to make an appointment with Audi to return your car to their agent. Sounds simple, right? Well, my dealer did not give me any definitive advance notice of the arrival of my car...in fact, I had to remind him that it had arrived! When I went to make the appointment to return my car, their earliest date was in 2 weeks! So my new car is going to sit on the lot for 3 weeks before I can take it home. Talk about frustrating and being further tortured. My dealer says there's nothing he can do since the agent will not move up the date. So plan ahead so you don't find yourself in my situation.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Katskill
I am sharing this with all of you who are waiting for a new car and are trading in your TDI so you don't find yourself in my predicament. I ordered a Prestige in July with the intention of giving them back my '10 TDI when the new car came in. Part of the process requires you to make an appointment with Audi to return your car to their agent. Sounds simple, right? Well, my dealer did not give me any definitive advance notice of the arrival of my car...in fact, I had to remind him that it had arrived! When I went to make the appointment to return my car, their earliest date was in 2 weeks! So my new car is going to sit on the lot for 3 weeks before I can take it home. Talk about frustrating and being further tortured. My dealer says there's nothing he can do since the agent will not move up the date. So plan ahead so you don't find yourself in my situation.
I'm assuming that you are part of the Q7 buyback due to diesel gate. if so, its not the dealers fault. They have to follow the steps
Old 10-17-2017, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I ran into this already as well as I planned on returning my '11 Q7 at the end of September (my '18 is still in transit at this writing). I was told that the trade-in process requires that the new vehicle be on the premises for them to execute the hand-in as a trade-in instead of a buy-back. Of course, trade-in provides the benefit of the Sales Tax credit while a straight buy back does not.

I perused the legal documents, called the "TDI hotline" and disputed that there is no language in there that says the new vehicle has to be available at the time of the trade-in. Turns out they agree - there is no such language; however, dealer's are given a bit of a wide interpretation since the court documents did not explore all scenarios.

Bottom line is I plan to book the appointment the day the ship unloads my Q7 (Houston port) and give them 2 weeks to get that through customs and trucked up to my dealer (PNW).
Old 10-17-2017, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigKutta
I'm assuming that you are part of the Q7 buyback due to diesel gate. if so, its not the dealers fault. They have to follow the steps
I'm not blaming the dealer, BigKutta. In hindsight, if I had realized there was a several week delay in getting an appointment to return the car, I may have done things differently, except that with no information on the status of my car until it arrived at the dealership, there probably wasn't much I could do, except maybe take a chance and book an appointment before the car arrived.

Giblet, the reason the exchanges are simultaneous is because, as you said, Audi is paying a portion of the sales tax and it's a trade-in as opposed to a buyback. At this point, I've waited 3 months, I can wait 2 more weeks. Just wanted others to know so they can plan ahead.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

That sucks! I hounded my salesman in order to track my 2018 Q7 for that exact reason. I scheduled my 2012 TDI buyback based on the timing predicted once it went into production and changed it by a few days when it got on the ship. I got lucky when it worked out perfectly - my car hit the lot 2 says before my appointment.

The irony and the part that sucks is that it literally took them 2 minutes to process the trade-in. They confirmed that the engine turned on and my mileage was as predicted. Signed a paper and done. Why the hell can't the dealer do that for you and then hold the car for a couple of weeks until the Audi rep is ready to come and process it further?!?! (Not saying it's the dealer's fault, but I feel that Audi should set it up that way.)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
That sucks! I hounded my salesman in order to track my 2018 Q7 for that exact reason. I scheduled my 2012 TDI buyback based on the timing predicted once it went into production and changed it by a few days when it got on the ship. I got lucky when it worked out perfectly - my car hit the lot 2 says before my appointment.

The irony and the part that sucks is that it literally took them 2 minutes to process the trade-in. They confirmed that the engine turned on and my mileage was as predicted. Signed a paper and done. Why the hell can't the dealer do that for you and then hold the car for a couple of weeks until the Audi rep is ready to come and process it further?!?! (Not saying it's the dealer's fault, but I feel that Audi should set it up that way.)
I hear you, Albert, and congrats on yours working out so well! It's all about the money...i know my dealer would be more than happy to do as you suggested but they don't allow him to do that. I'm sure he's as frustrated as I am. In the meantime, I'll just enjoy these last few weeks with my old car, which has served me very well.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you guys may have it a bit better than gen II guys who are not eligible for the buyback, but need to get it fixed. I'm not even sure the fix is finalized, and they've already been paid out half their settlement...