A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report n my 2014 4.0 APR tune after one week

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Report n my 2014 4.0 APR tune after one week

last week I had the Stage One APR installed on my 15,000 mile 2014 SWB A8 with the 4.0 engine. Install was a quick deal with my APR dealer. The car actually feels smoother and has increased drivability over stock. The acceleration in sport is absolutely ferocious. The tune has amplified the best traits of an already great car. As far as bang for the buck it was money well spent.
I have had a 535i with Cobb tune and a 2013 E550 with Renntech tune. The Audi has much better handling dynamics and much better power delivery. If you are on the fence about this tune, why wait? Great job APR!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
The Audi has much better handling dynamics and much better power delivery. If you are on the fence about this tune, why wait?
Because I like having a warranty

If I wind up keeping the car once CPO is gone, though, I'll be paying a visit to an APR dealer.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Warranty

I have a CPO car as well. Having the tune doesn't void your warranty for the entire car. There are many electrical issues that can quite expensive in today's tech laden cars, the APR tune, or any tune for that matter would have no effect on the ENTIRE car, maybe engine components yes. The engines on these cars have proven remarkably robust and I am NOT worried about any engine issues.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I also have a cpo car. I've had the downpipe replacement and a motor mount replaced. Both would have been very expensive and would not have been covered if I tuned my car. Once the warranty is up I'll be looking at getting it tuned.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Everyone should familiarize themselves with the Magnuson-Moss Act as it regards our cars and aftermarket tunes. Obviously internal engine issues would not be covered under warranty with a tune installed. ALL other problems including down pipes and engine mounts would be covered as they are known issues with TSBs issued to cover these as they are recognized by Audi as their own design/manufacturing issues. Does anyone actually think that MMI issues, headlight problems etc can be denied coverage because of an engine software tune?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevereddy
Everyone should familiarize themselves with the Magnuson-Moss Act as it regards our cars and aftermarket tunes. Obviously internal engine issues would not be covered under warranty with a tune installed. ALL other problems including down pipes and engine mounts would be covered as they are known issues with TSBs issued to cover these as they are recognized by Audi as their own design/manufacturing issues. Does anyone actually think that MMI issues, headlight problems etc can be denied coverage because of an engine software tune?
While they are known issues i highly doubt they will cover you once you are flagged for tune td1... and if they deny you on those what are you going to say or do about it? Are you going to take them to court over this issue?

again no one is denying that they will cover you on everything else while flagged... except for powertrain items which tend to be quite expensive
Old 10-18-2017, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Our local APR guys will take it out prior to bringing it in for service. It may seem like a pain in the ***, but if you have those concerns, you can have them pull and replace as you service it. My Audi dealer service reps recommended them, most of these guys are real Audi enthusiasts. I haven't done my '13 S8, but I will soon. Its CPO'd as well. No one wants you to have issues.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It doesn't matter if APR "takes it out" before you take it in for service. The ECU has a flash counter that keeps track of how many times it is flashed. VAG keeps track of how many times they flash the ECU. If the numbers don't match your car is flagged td1. While I agree that anything other than engine internals should be covered I'm certain that VAG will deny whatever they feel like and use the td1 as an excuse. Your only recourse is to fight them in court and that will get expensive quickly. But it's your car please do as you wish.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
It doesn't matter if APR "takes it out" before you take it in for service. The ECU has a flash counter that keeps track of how many times it is flashed. VAG keeps track of how many times they flash the ECU. If the numbers don't match your car is flagged td1. While I agree that anything other than engine internals should be covered I'm certain that VAG will deny whatever they feel like and use the td1 as an excuse. Your only recourse is to fight them in court and that will get expensive quickly. But it's your car please do as you wish.
I​​​​​​ agree with the_duke. I have the APR tune and have been flagged by my dealer. I was politely told that my existing warranty will only cover items that are unrelated to the power train. He said he would love to cover other items, but Mother Audi in Germany won't foot the bill.

I recently ate a $1400 PVC valve replacement bill after I was flagged, although I still am under the warranty period.

All this being said, I did not try to go back to my APR dealer for tune removal prior to my dealer visit and subsequent flag.

if you're willing to tune the car then you need to pay to play​. It seems a bit elusive when trying take out the tune to avoid Audi finding out you added 100hp+ so they foot the bill. On the other hand VW is under investigation for some price collusion etc. so . . . . .

I know my PVC valve was unrelated, but they knew I had a tune and called me on it.

Best of luck

Last edited by BTAudi; 10-26-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by the_duke
+1. There have been a variety of posts on other AW boards as well as AudiZine the have confirmed this, including specific to APR. Those boards have more cumulative enthusiasts who have done it, some in warranty dome not. Some have done all the steps of removing it ahead of service and driving for several days and still got flagged. Those who don't drive several days ahead of time to reset the OBDII readiness counter are probably even more fish in a barrel since even a basic scan can show a recent code clear, which happens on any reflash. Then in turn, expect to lose coverage for basically full drivetrain and related electronics--motor, tranny, diffs, ECU, mounts, etc. In fairness, others report skating by too, though typically not for big core powertrain issues.

I like the idea, but in warranty it can definitely become pay to play. And if the repair is expensive, they will check. Audi corporate makes them these days, regardless of what a dealer may or may not want to do.