A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Finally an Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally an Owner

Last week I finally picked up my first Audi after admiring the brand for so long. It's a 2001 A6 2.8 Avant Quattro; nothing special. It has a ton of miles on it, bald front tires, bad rotors, a rusty fender, and leaks water from what appears to be the cabin air filter holder but I couldn't pass it up for the price I got it for. Immediate plans for the car are to check and clear the sunroof drains, A/C evaporator drain and windshield crowd to stop the leak, replace tires and brakes (maybe a good time to upgrade to 312mm rotors if I don't already have them), and catch up on maintence. Once those things are taken care of I'd like to lower it a bit and add 18" oem wheels. Through searching mycarfax.com, I found the car to be owned and serviced locally throughout its life. Hopefully this experience leads to more exciting avants in the future.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Be sure to check the floor under the carpet on the front passenger side. The transmission control module is located here and if it gets wet you are in for problems and $. Also check the water drainage holes under the cabin air filter and/or battery. If these are clogged then water from rain or whatever can back up into the cabin air filter and result in wet front passenger floor.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by clancy
Be sure to check the floor under the carpet on the front passenger side. The transmission control module is located here and if it gets wet you are in for problems and $. Also check the water drainage holes under the cabin air filter and/or battery. If these are clogged then water from rain or whatever can back up into the cabin air filter and result in wet front passenger floor.
Thanks for the heads up. I checked the drain hole under the battery but was unaware that there is another under the cabin air filter. That may be my issue because when I checked the cabin air filter it was wet and had signs of mold on it. Also, the area where the filter sits had stale water there. How do I get to the drains under the cabin air filter?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Try using a shop vac to remove any residual water and debris. You may unplug the drain holes while doing this.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Try using a shop vac to remove any residual water and debris. You may unplug the drain holes while doing this.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hi

Congrats on the purchase. My C5 is long gone but I had the big puddle under the passenger foot area and wanted to share my experience with you in hopes it helps. I had two reasons for my leak. 1) Cabin air filter box had a crack from past removal efforts. I used a lot of urethane sealant to re caulk it and worked great. 2) My second leak was due to a replacement windshield. The lower plastic cowling was never put back properly and water would leak down the window between the cowel and pour right into the cabin filter and spill into the interior. I had to replace all the clips. Once it was done, it was snug and no water leaked in-between anymore.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by twopedalwarrior
Hi

Congrats on the purchase. My C5 is long gone but I had the big puddle under the passenger foot area and wanted to share my experience with you in hopes it helps. I had two reasons for my leak. 1) Cabin air filter box had a crack from past removal efforts. I used a lot of urethane sealant to re caulk it and worked great. 2) My second leak was due to a replacement windshield. The lower plastic cowling was never put back properly and water would leak down the window between the cowel and pour right into the cabin filter and spill into the interior. I had to replace all the clips. Once it was done, it was snug and no water leaked in-between anymore.
Thanks for the info. Right now the car is cover because I didn't want to chance it with the rainbwe had overnight. Something tells me my leak has something to do with the cowl. It's not in there snug, as there is a slight gap between it and the windshield. One of my mechanic friends suggested that I replace the cowl as a precaution.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mousiee
Thanks for the info. Right now the car is cover because I didn't want to chance it with the rainbwe had overnight. Something tells me my leak has something to do with the cowl. It's not in there snug, as there is a slight gap between it and the windshield. One of my mechanic friends suggested that I replace the cowl as a precaution.
I thought the cowl was my problem because it was also a slight gap there. But that wasn't the problem for me. My problem was the clogged drain holes in each corner right below the windshield
Old 11-05-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiNike12
I thought the cowl was my problem because it was also a slight gap there. But that wasn't the problem for me. My problem was the clogged drain holes in each corner right below the windshield
I'll look into that. I had no idea there were drain holes in each corner below the windshield. Thanks.