Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Need Help - If you had $5000

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help - If you had $5000

A long time lurker on this community, I am close to making a decision on the Q7. Next week should be when I take a test drive, and if I find the right one in inventory, I may close the deal within the week.

The Q7 I am looking for will be the Prestige with Drive Assistance Package. I don't need Cold Weather Package, but almost all the ones I have seen here in the ATL area seem to have cold weather!

Now, here is where the conundrum is. I am ready to put money in for either Adaptive Air suspension or the B&O system. But it is WAY beyond my budget to put money in for both of those.

I drive almost 2.5 to 3 hours everyday in stop-go traffic, and enjoy my music. That's really the only time I have for listening to music, so want a good audio experience. But I am not an audiophile by any stretch!

On the Adaptive Air suspension, my wife complains she feels nauseous in back seats of SUVs / Minivans. I am guessing that's because of body roll issues. Does Air Suspension help reducing that effect? Otherwise, my commute is mainly on city streets and ATL roads are fairly ok in that there aren't too many rough bumpy roads

When I go looking next week, I will test drive cars with and without the two options to help with my decision. I have tracks which I can use to test the Bose and the B&O. Any thoughts on specific things to do to test the Air Suspension?

Also looking for suggestions from people who have either of the options or both of these options. What's your long term (longer than a test drive ) experience with these options? If you had money for only one of these options, which one would you choose?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2017, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air suspension
Old 10-22-2017, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Air suspension is the better way to go. With the Air suspension, body roll is extremely limited. Think of it this way, what is easier to buy aftermarket? An air suspension with 4 wheel steering, or a sound system equal to the B&O?
Old 10-22-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're an audiophile you most likely wouldn't be asking this question, so air suspension all the way. Tough justifying $5000.00 for the B/O regardless imho.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Air suspension for sure. Amazing to be able to soften the ride over rough roads, stiffen to reduce body roll, lower for aerodynamics, and raise for the occasional foray off-road.
I'm not an audiophile either, but the Bose sounds pretty darn good. I bought my previous 2012 Q7 used and I ended up with B/O by happenstance while seeking a Prestige with air suspension. Granted, that was an older version of the B/O, but I certainly can't say that there was a big advantage to the B/O compared to my current Bose (new Q7 Prestige with air).
Hopefully your decision will be easier if you get to hear the two systems back to back so you can decide whether you can hear a difference and whether it is worth 5K. It may be harder to appreciate the air suspension in a test drive but I wouldn't consider a Prestige without it. So unless hear the B/O and absolutely can't live without it, go with the air.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Easily air suspension.

The BOSE audio is decent, but not quite good enough bass, but a $150 sub-woofer box using the existing amp will make it good enough.

Personally I didn't get air suspension or B&O and don't wish that I did. One review that compared both suspensions said that the normal suspension feels like the air suspension on the middle setting, and that is what I would expect. Air is especially useful for towing heavy loads because it can level the back. Also good for off-road because it can go higher. Downside being cost, and more things to break. My friend had it on his AllRoad, and paid $2500 to service it, and then I think he even had to do that a second time. He didn't get it on his 2018 Q7 for that reason.

As for being nauseated in the back seats, I think that is from lack of visibility. And I assume she won't be riding in the back seat anyway. So another option is to get neither of those.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-22-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for Air Suspension & 4 wheel steering. I ordered mine with it.

PS: You will be really lucky if you can find a Prestige with Adaptive Chassis Package on a dealer lot available for test drive. Dealers typically don't order this option. I wasn't able to find any. Online dealer inventory with adaptive chassis were all sold custom order cars. I was only able to test drive a Premium Plus 3.0.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with the others, if you are not an audiophile, then air suspension is the way to go.

CarSwami
Old 10-23-2017, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

welcome. honestly i think if your going to finanace and going to keep your car for long time get B&o. if ur leasing and dont keep your car for long airsuspension.

i heard airsuspension can be hefty to fix if they ever break.

anyways have fun Q7 is great!!!
Old 10-23-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 Air Suspension. Putting it in dynamic mode definitely reduces body roll. But don't overlook the 4 wheel steering -- it has definitely surprised me how tight of turns I can make in this big vehicle with 4WS. I'm not an audiophile either, and I'm perfectly happy with my Bose audio.

As previous poster said, it may be hard or impossible to find a adaptive air car on a dealer lot. But if you do, make sure you test some tight parking turns both with and without.

Quick Reply: Need Help - If you had $5000