Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Why dont my auto high beams work here?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Why dont my auto high beams work here?

So, the auto beams usually turn on and off fine most places, but my neighborhood. My street is dark besides maybe some house lights that are set away from the road. Its basically a pitch black road, where I need the high beams the most (deer, etc.), but here the high beams never turn on in auto mode, All there is is a white fence along the road. There are no reflectors on the fence. What gives?
Why dont my auto high beams work here?-img_5064.jpg
Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
So, the auto beams usually turn on and off fine most places, but my neighborhood. My street is dark besides maybe some house lights that are set away from the road. Its basically a pitch black road, where I need the high beams the most (deer, etc.), but here the high beams never turn on in auto mode, All there is is a white fence along the road. There are no reflectors on the fence. What gives?
Thats strange. Probably, there is some light source (from distant house?) that the Q7 sensor detects as headlight from an oncoming vehicle.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what I thought, but driving through other neighborhoods this is never a problem, even when the houses are on the street
Old 11-17-2017, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How far is the ride in your neighborhood till your home? And it also does not appear to be a straight road, so the lights from distant houses maybe interfering. It does take ~10-15s for the auto high beam to kick in.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sr007
How far is the ride in your neighborhood till your home? And it also does not appear to be a straight road, so the lights from distant houses maybe interfering. It does take ~10-15s for the auto high beam to kick in.
Hmmm, the road is 0.3 miles to my home, with the first half straight and the beams work there. Then in this twisty fenced area they dont. But still these are dim lights outside peoples homes and sometimes not even on. Then up my driveway too (which is long and dark) they wont come on.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

What's your speed? (I know it's not 0 as in the picture )
Old 11-17-2017, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Reflected light from the white fence which is erroneously registering as ambient light.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKutta
Hmmm, the road is 0.3 miles to my home, with the first half straight and the beams work there. Then in this twisty fenced area they dont. But still these are dim lights outside peoples homes and sometimes not even on. Then up my driveway too (which is long and dark) they wont come on.
I'm guessing it's a combination of low speed and turning a lot. I've noticed that it seems to have a speed threshold around 20-25mph. Also, if turning enough to activate the side light, the brights dim down when I'm in my neighborhood.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by gsobol
What's your speed? (I know it's not 0 as in the picture )
I would guess under 25mph going around that part of the road.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NABS4
Reflected light from the white fence which is erroneously registering as ambient light.
I'm not sure about that, although that's what i thought initially too. I drive along several similar fences at night outside my neighborhood and this doesnt happen

Quick Reply: Why dont my auto high beams work here?