Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

Weird Grinding Noise and Stopping while in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Grinding Noise and Stopping while in reverse

Picked up the car Friday and I experienced two similar issues this weekend. Both times I was backing out of a driveway and no cars/people/etc were approaching from either direction. I was going very slow. Suddenly the car (transmission ) made a grinding noise and the car came to a halt. The first time I chalked it up to me (doing what, I don't know). The second time I would say the car did it on its own. My first thought was Audi Presense Rear but nothing was behind me and I would think the car would just brake, not sound like it is dropping a transmission. Neither time did the dash tell me Audi Presense was active. However, I did see this message one other time, although nothing happened besides the message. Thoughts?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zoepup
Picked up the car Friday and I experienced two similar issues this weekend. Both times I was backing out of a driveway and no cars/people/etc were approaching from either direction. I was going very slow. Suddenly the car (transmission ) made a grinding noise and the car came to a halt. The first time I chalked it up to me (doing what, I don't know). The second time I would say the car did it on its own. My first thought was Audi Presense Rear but nothing was behind me and I would think the car would just brake, not sound like it is dropping a transmission. Neither time did the dash tell me Audi Presense was active. However, I did see this message one other time, although nothing happened besides the message. Thoughts?
that's presense. It sounds and feels like you hit something
also no warning on dash either. Like many have mentions it has a bit if false positives.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stan23
that's presense. It sounds and feels like you hit something
also no warning on dash either. Like many have mentions it has a bit if false positives.
WOW. reminds me of teaching a kid to drive a manual transmission .
Old 11-20-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Car looks great, congrats. Yes, if it was pre-sense you should have got a message/chime. Only thing I can think of is that you may have accidentally hit the P button and were going slowly enough for it to engage. That would do exactly what you described. The car would then have been in P, of course, so if it wasn't, not sure.

Agree with you on the tech, but then it's what more and more people value. I try and turn as much of it off as I can, whilst still keeping low and high speed autonomous emergency braking. That, I value.

Can't help on phones. I tried CarPlay for 2 minutes to see that it worked, then saw how it worked, and have never used it again. Although I did like the car telling me the phone was still plugged in when I was getting out of the car
Old 11-20-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

It is rear cross traffic alert, not pre sense. When it happens, there is no instrument cluster warning.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When backing up do you have any "dip" in the driveway where the sensors might think it "sees" something and jams on the brakes?

I have had this happen at the gas station and it thought the man hole covers that rise a few inches from the ground was something to worry about.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, not presense, but the rear alert. When it happened to me, I was reversing with nothing in my way. Scared the crap out of me thinking I actually hit something!

Seems the system is very sensitive. I did some research and read of many others with false alerts.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The RandomOne
When backing up do you have any "dip" in the driveway where the sensors might think it "sees" something and jams on the brakes?

I have had this happen at the gas station and it thought the man hole covers that rise a few inches from the ground was something to worry about.
The driveway inclines very slightly and it has worked every time but once
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stan23
Ok, not presense, but the rear alert. When it happened to me, I was reversing with nothing in my way. Scared the crap out of me thinking I actually hit something!

Seems the system is very sensitive. I did some research and read of many others with false alerts.
so the "grinding" sound is normal?
Old 11-20-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

so the "grinding" sound is normal?
Yes, my guess it's the ABS pump (it actuates even though no ABS is being applied) I had the same grinding noise on my Tesla Model S when auto brake occurred during auto pilot mode.

Quick Reply: Weird Grinding Noise and Stopping while in reverse