Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B9) Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet 2018 model year and up

S5 sportback - Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps - Input

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default S5 sportback - Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps - Input

Hello everyone,

I noticed that Audi sells OEM carbon fiber mirror caps for $780.00, but wanted to see if it's the best route to go. Tag MotorSports is currently selling it at a discount for $699.00, but their anticipated installation time is 2 hours and is quoting a $200 installation fee. The s5 sportback is my 2nd Audi, but I never modified my cars beyond stock so I'm unfortunately a newbie. Any thoughts or input will be appreciated! Thank you.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put the OEM CF mirror caps on mine myself. Quick job. I think it took 30 minutes but only because I was overly cautious getting the mirror and original cap off since I had never done it before.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Hello!
So what is your question?
Are you asking if the caps are worth it at TAGs discounted price, or if the installation is hard?
I installed black painted mirror caps on my car and it was not hard. I do have an extensive background with modifying cars though. I would not recommend an amateur to try installing them or you could end up doing more $$$ in damage than you were going to save in installation costs.
I personally think $700 for carbon caps is really expensive! You may be able to offset the costs by selling your stainless S5 mirror caps though.
You could try getting them wrapped in 3M Carbon Fiber vinyl instead. It should not be over $200-$250 going that route.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Someone on the forum recently posted that Audi has suspended all sales of it's carbon fiber accessories due to supplier quality issues.
This is something you might want to consider.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EuroPrice has the OEM CF Mirror Housings for $549 for the pair. I just received a full front and rear Black Optics package from EuroPrice and Alexander was great to work with and delivered them in less than 2 weeks. I'm considering these CF mirror housing as my next move.

https://europrice.us/mirrors-carbon-fiber-housingss-1

Last edited by PRGeno; 11-20-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 227 Likes on 183 Posts

Installation isn't all that terrible once you've gotten one mirror housing off. I do include instructions with illustrations and tips for fitment with the mirrors and other items for those wanting to do the work.

A shop shouldn't take more than 1 hour to install these as well.

Cheers,

Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I say do it. Good luck finding OE ones, Audi isn't selling them anymore due to quality control issues with their supplier.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I will be hugely disappointed if my port-installed CF pieces are discontinued but if in fact that is the case, I will try to find someone to wrap them and go that route rather than spend stupid money on aftermarket CF...
Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
I will be hugely disappointed if my port-installed CF pieces are discontinued but if in fact that is the case, I will try to find someone to wrap them and go that route rather than spend stupid money on aftermarket CF...
Hopefully, they have some in stock. My sales associate contacted the regional manager and said the part is discontinued. He couldn't add it to my order.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-21-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar
Wrapping in carbon look vinyl is not the way to go with an audi, vinyl doesn't look like CF in my opinion. You could probably find some one to do a Real Carbon Fiber Overlay for half the price of new cf pieces. This would actually be carbon fiber over your existing mirror caps.
Just an idea

Quick Reply: S5 sportback - Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps - Input