Old 12-13-2017, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Redline Review of 2018 SQ5

Soyfan did a nice job of reviewing the new SQ5 here

Old 12-13-2017, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2016 SQ5 and debating whether to move to get this upgraded model , the Mercedes GLC43 AMG or the Alpha Romeo Stelvio.

Those fake exhausts are the most prominent on any car on the market and is really sad to see on an Audi especially the S model.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator787
I have a 2016 SQ5 and debating whether to move to get this upgraded model , the Mercedes GLC43 AMG or the Alpha Romeo Stelvio.

Those fake exhausts are the most prominent on any car on the market and is really sad to see on an Audi especially the S model.
I extensively looked at the 43 and the SQ5. The Stelvio really wasn't the same vehicle for me personally, but if I could afford a QUAD I'd consider it as a real sports car replacement.

The fake exhausts suck, there's no arguing that they don't, but honestly I think you'll get over it pretty quickly and if you don't, you can fix it with aftermarket solutions soon. Look at how the 43 tips are designed. They're not exactly fake, but they don't even connect directly to the actual exhaust (non-PE exhaust, didn't check the PE exhaust for that difference). For me the SQ5 wins hands down on tech and utilitarian use. The 43 wins hands down on pure on road drivers fun. I wanted the tech, quattro, and the slightly higher offroad mode option on the SQ5, so that's why I ended up here.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wishbone
I extensively looked at the 43 and the SQ5. The Stelvio really wasn't the same vehicle for me personally, but if I could afford a QUAD I'd consider it as a real sports car replacement.

The fake exhausts suck, there's no arguing that they don't, but honestly I think you'll get over it pretty quickly and if you don't, you can fix it with aftermarket solutions soon. Look at how the 43 tips are designed. They're not exactly fake, but they don't even connect directly to the actual exhaust (non-PE exhaust, didn't check the PE exhaust for that difference). For me the SQ5 wins hands down on tech and utilitarian use. The 43 wins hands down on pure on road drivers fun. I wanted the tech, quattro, and the slightly higher offroad mode option on the SQ5, so that's why I ended up here.
I test drove the Stelvio and does not stand up to an Audi at all as interior is lame and exterior is so so , maybe the Quadrifolgio for the power .
The new SQ5 is nice and all but I cannot get past the fake exhaust tips which degrade the car as a whoel when the looks make an S model what it is.

Still to test drive the GLC43 AMG, will it win me over ?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 AM
V0X
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the Q5 exaust tips look more believable than the SQ5's I must say. But, I personally couldnt care one way or the other if they're real or not. I'm off to solve world peace!
Old 12-13-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I test drove the Stelvio and does not stand up to an Audi at all as interior is lame and exterior is so so , maybe the Quadrifolgio for the power .
The new SQ5 is nice and all but I cannot get past the fake exhaust tips which degrade the car as a whoel when the looks make an S model what it is.

If exhaust tips would be enough to make you not buy a car (and I don't blame you), I do believe you will love the 43. I certainly did, I just had different priorities for this vehicle. I'd be interested to hear what you decide. Try to get a test in a AMG performance exhaust optioned model. It's pretty awesome.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wishbone
If exhaust tips would be enough to make you not buy a car (and I don't blame you), I do believe you will love the 43. I certainly did, I just had different priorities for this vehicle. I'd be interested to hear what you decide. Try to get a test in a AMG performance exhaust optioned model. It's pretty awesome.
Just scheduled a test ride next week on a stock GLC 43 at my local dealer... will see if it impresses me
Old 12-13-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts

One thing that bugs me more than the fake exhaust, which is pretty stupid (especially considering the SQ7 has real tips there), is how all the subtle 'SQ5' monikers on the original are now just 'S' badges. Even the key for our 2014 has an embossed SQ5 badge, which is cool; the 2018 gets the same 'S' key as all B9 S models. Same with steering wheel badge and brake calipers too. You can feel the part-bin sharing across B9 models, which dilutes them a bit ... making each somehow less special.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Rob O
One thing that bugs me more than the fake exhaust, which is pretty stupid (especially considering the SQ7 has real tips there), is how all the subtle 'SQ5' monikers on the original are now just 'S' badges. Even the key for our 2014 has an embossed SQ5 badge, which is cool; the 2018 gets the same 'S' key as all B9 S models. Same with steering wheel badge and brake calipers too. You can feel the part-bin sharing across B9 models, which dilutes them a bit ... making each somehow less special.
Interesting.. I did notice that on the seats as well.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 to everything Wishbone said. I went through the same exercise, sq, glc43 and Macan comparison. I would add that I found the sq suspension vastly better than the Mercedes which can be jarring over rough roads, especially ruts. The sq suspension performs very well yet is very comfortable. The sq is a great total package but if engine/tranny performance is your overwhelming criteria, the glc may be for you, it no doubt outperforms the sq there. Some people aren’t bothered by getting periodically jarred but that was a deal killer for me. Regards. Ned.

Quick Reply: Redline Review of 2018 SQ5