A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Throttle Lag

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Throttle Lag

Hey all,

Brand new owner of a 2017 A4 Prestige Quattro. I know there's been a few threads on this, but is throttle lag and mushy pedal feel common in these cars? From a complete stop, pressing down on the first few inches of the gas pedal or so doesn't move the car at all. It's not until I press the gas down further that I feel the full acceleration. My previous car was a 2001 Acura CL and that pedal was very stiff and had immediate response when pressing down the pedal. Is this something to just get used to?
Old 12-13-2017, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not having this issue with my A4...jumps off the line like a bat out of hell. No lag and no mushy pedal feel.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

In D yes. Turbo lag combined with throttle maps that prioritize fuel economy over responsiveness that's unfortunately the trend where things are heading.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Lag

Have just purchased a 2018 Audi Allroad and it is a great car but the throttle lag is a real concern. Did not notice this on the demo but sure do now on mine & I've only had it one day.

I've been driving Saab's for years - Saab introduced the turbo - and the throttle response is progressive. With the Audi I don't know what to expect. Sometimes it takes off smoothly, sometimes you keep pressing then it take off like a rocket. This is dangerous.

Surely this has nothing to do with the turbo. Is there an electronic link throttle control? Hate this 'advanced technology' when it comes to straightforward driving.

Rob
Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
Hey all,

Brand new owner of a 2017 A4 Prestige Quattro. I know there's been a few threads on this, but is throttle lag and mushy pedal feel common in these cars? From a complete stop, pressing down on the first few inches of the gas pedal or so doesn't move the car at all. It's not until I press the gas down further that I feel the full acceleration. My previous car was a 2001 Acura CL and that pedal was very stiff and had immediate response when pressing down the pedal. Is this something to just get used to?
What mode are driving in? I suggest you try sports mode, I usually drive in comfort mode and do agree that the lag is noticeable but when I want a fast response just a small tap to pull the shifter down which engages sports mode on demand and the car does go off pretty fast. For better control I had installed Pedal Commander on my previous ride a MB CLA and that gadget will give total control on your throttle feel.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3#

Old 05-01-2018, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dynamic and S mode all time day and night with my B9, no complains other then that the highest octane is 93 at my place and just on selected pumps only.
And wasn't enough (or maybe I got bored) so got myself the Neuspeed piggy back module...and yes, very noticeable difference on the pedal.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yvantheterrible

What mode are driving in? I suggest you try sports mode, I usually drive in comfort mode and do agree that the lag is noticeable but when I want a fast response just a small tap to pull the shifter down which engages sports mode on demand and the car does go off pretty fast. For better control I had installed Pedal Commander on my previous ride a MB CLA and that gadget will give total control on your throttle feel.

https://www.pedalcommander.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3#

Has anyone tried the pedal commander for the b9 ?

I'm in the same boat, not impressed with the lag and very noticeable.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lag took me awhile to get used to. Coming from a car that gave an instant response when you barely pushed the pedal, it was an adjustment getting used to the Audi. I feel like I push the pedal and the car takes forever to speed up, then zooms off. You have to press the pedal just right to make it smooth IMO. I don't mind it much now... if I get too annoyed I switch to S mode and it drives like a completely different car.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

It truly is the only frustrating thing about this car. And stack that on top of the DCT and it can mean 3 seconds after throttle application before the car does something. That has even put me into a dangerous situation several times already.

Say you come up to a yield or ahem rolling stop sign ahem. It's heavy traffic and you have one opportunity to pull out into traffic. You press the gas and wait a second for something to happen, then the DCT says "oh you want to downshift now?" There is another 1 to 2 seconds before something happens. meanwhile you are trying to get up to speed after pulling out in front of someone. Then BAM! the car slams into full throttle because the whole 2 to 3 seconds while you have been waiting you keep pressing more and more.

This also occurs while in a twisty and you want back on the gas mid apex. " Oh you wanted more throttle?" Meanwhile you left the apex a second behind.

I did not notice this when test driving. I wonder if it varies between cars. I always drive in dynamic but in my car I notice no difference in any modes except sport mode. It is great in sport mode and it fixes the throttle lag and somewhat the DCT lag but I can't get myself to drive around all the time 600 to 900 RPMs higher. I've turned to constantly switching between D and S while on a normal drive.

Rant over. A tleast I feel better getting that off my check now.
The following 2 users liked this post by gooberman:
Dave_ (10-10-2020), Jay Mirchan (06-04-2020)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought this and it helped tremendously. https://www.pedalbox.com/us/audi/a4-.../pedalbox.html

Quick Reply: Throttle Lag