Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 brake pads - how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SQ5 brake pads - how to remove?

I have a 2014 SQ5, I already have the rear pads changed, but can not get the front caliper off to change the pads. I've removed the 21MM bolts and nothing, it simply won't come off. I also took the dust caps off and removed the 9MM hex bolts from the the caliper and nothing.

Last edited by JayCar; 01-02-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

FYi, I got it figured out. Once the two 9MM hex bolts are removed (do not and no need to remove the 21mm bolts), you use a screw driver or some other tool as leverage to compress the pistons to allow enough room to remove the calipers. Pull away from the vehicle. I'll post a pic after I'm done for info, in case this comes up again.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

cheers, Glad you got it figured out. look forward to pictures.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So here's the rundown:
  • The back pads are pretty straight forward, you'll need to retract the EPB (electronic parking brake) using VAGCOM or Carista. You can find videos of the back pads online.
  • As far as compressing the piston, you do not need to rotate it, it will compress directly in like traditional caliper pistons.
For the front:
  • Remove the Torx bolt holding the spring bar and SQ5 dust cover. If I recall, it's a T40. Pay close attention here to how the spring bar is installed. When you reinstall it, it wants to rest on the pads instead of the area where it's supposed to be. Just look at it (or take a picture) for reference when putting it back on.
  • On the back of the caliper are two dustups, remove them using a flat head screw driver.
  • Under each dust cover is a 9MM hex head bolt which needs to be removed. These will unscrew and then essentially spin in place when they're fully removed, but they don't come out on their own. Using whatever tool you used to unscrew them, use it as leverage to pull out the bolt as it's staying in place with friction.
  • The caliper is now ready to be removed, but before you do that, remove the wear sensor and free the brake line so you have some room to move the caliper.
  • Now, take a screw driver and put in in the slotted area in the top of the caliper, down in the center of the rotor (the vaned area) and pry/pull away from the vehicle, compressing the pistons in the caliper. The reason for this is the brakes are compressed on the rotor and won't come off other wise. Do this until you have enough room to move the caliper.
  • Remove caliper. If it won't come off, compress more.
  • Turn the caliper over and finish compressing the piston calipers (using the old pad) with a C-clamp or whatever compression device you're using. Remove the old wear sensor. Remove the old pad and install the new pads.
  • Flip the caliper over and put it back in place. Install the wear sensor and reattach it. Be careful with the wear sensor, they're plastic and break easily, ask me how I know. :-) One thing to note here, on the SQ5, there is only ONE wear sensor and its on the driver side. No one told me that and I bought 2 thinking there was one for each side, there is NOT.
  • Reinstall the bolts, reinstall dust caps.
  • Reinstall the spring bar and SQ5 dust cover.

I've attached a video for reference. It doesn't cover every single step, but if you've gotten this far then you know how to do the items not in the video. :-) Please feel free to ask any additional questions for clarification.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Jaycar
Haven't had to do it yet but good to know the tips and tricks!