A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Transmission control unit location

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission control unit location

Hello guys i have searched the forum to find answers all to no avail. Pls where is my TCU located. I use a4 b6 quattto 2001 3.0 petrol engine with 5speed automatic gearbox.I want to get a hold of it and just check but i don't know where its located or how to get there. Pls any form of help will be greatly appreciated. I don't mind if you bless me with pictures too. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the CVT gearbox?

If so the TCU is inside the gearbox at the back, you have to drain the gearbox and remove the cross brace before you can get at it. The question is what is the issue? are you having issues with reverse and the dash lights flashing?
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When i reach gears 4 or 5 i get my entire prnds lit up. And car won't move or moves slightly. So i always have to park car and clear codes p0734 or p0735 and p1706. Once i clear code, car moves well but once i get to gears 4 upward same problem and i have to park to clear code. I am a novice so i dont know my type of transmission.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

How do i know if i have a CVT or not?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My gear has the PRNDS and +- at the right jand side. Is it cvt or tiptronic?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

If your transmission is a 5HP19 series like most in the states, the TCM will be in the big ECU box, in the engine compartment. The ECU is on top of the TCM, so after the ECU is removed or moved out of the way, the TCM can be disconnected and removed.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
If your transmission is a 5HP19 series like most in the states, the TCM will be in the big ECU box, in the engine compartment. The ECU is on top of the TCM, so after the ECU is removed or moved out of the way, the TCM can be disconnected and removed.
Boom! Magical! I found it under the ecu. Thanks.

Opened it.looks clean inside out. Not my problem.
​​​​​​​Have to rebuild gear box then. Any diy links?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

A1EK
where can I get one of these? Or get mine repaired?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are plenty of companies on line offering repair services, try searching ebay for TCU repairs and you will see, however I have had bad expereience of using this type of repair service and I very nearly ended up scrapping the car ! I had a minor isssue thats all with my reverse selection on my CVT box, being sometimes it would not engage and to resolve it I would just go into Park then reverse again and it would work thats it. However I sent mine away for repair as I thought for £150 it would be worth doing in case the unit got worse and is cheaper than buying a new one at £1200 !. When I got the TCU back the car did not communicate with it and I then had to pay for a mobile mechanic to chek the codes of which he advise it is dead !So despite the repair company stating that they tested the TCU repair and having a warranty I was left without a car that drove and wished I had left it alone. The TCU I was told had also been repaired previously too so this was the second time !In the end I bit the bullet paid £1200 for a new TCU + coding + gear box oil and gaskets as this needs to be drained first and in total cost my £1500 !!I would be very careful therfore about getting the TCU removed and repaired, if you can live with the issue, then leave it alone.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A1EK
There are plenty of companies on line offering repair services, try searching ebay for TCU repairs and you will see, however I have had bad expereience of using this type of repair service and I very nearly ended up scrapping the car ! I had a minor isssue thats all with my reverse selection on my CVT box, being sometimes it would not engage and to resolve it I would just go into Park then reverse again and it would work thats it. However I sent mine away for repair as I thought for £150 it would be worth doing in case the unit got worse and is cheaper than buying a new one at £1200 !. When I got the TCU back the car did not communicate with it and I then had to pay for a mobile mechanic to chek the codes of which he advise it is dead !So despite the repair company stating that they tested the TCU repair and having a warranty I was left without a car that drove and wished I had left it alone. The TCU I was told had also been repaired previously too so this was the second time !In the end I bit the bullet paid £1200 for a new TCU + coding + gear box oil and gaskets as this needs to be drained first and in total cost my £1500 !!I would be very careful therfore about getting the TCU removed and repaired, if you can live with the issue, then leave it alone.
Thanks.that tip was huge.
For me to manage means i can't exceed 80km/hr when driving.

Quick Reply: Transmission control unit location