Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Mileage with the 2.0 liter turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Mileage with the 2.0 liter turbo...

I know this topic is scattered all over the place (under threads about "should I buy a Q5" or "I'm unhappy with some things on the Q5" etc.) but I thought I'd try to centralize with this thread.

My 2018 Q5 is just 600 miles old (coming up on a month) and I'm unimpressed with the mileage so far... but maybe that's because I'm still in the break-in period and maybe my driving habits. I don't drive the car hard at all, but I do more in-city than highway driving. The auto-shut-off feature is functioning (so that surely saves some fuel); I do have the heated steering and seats on right now (but no AC). I also live on a hill, where mileage is surely low going up but you'd think high going down. Sometimes when I'm at a steady-state driving on the freeway, I've seen my average "short-term" mileage hit 27mpg, which is satisfying and matches up with the claims.
[BTW, yeah, I know the slogan - "your mileage may vary" and I get this. Still.]
My first tank came in at an overall 19mpg and the second one at 20.6mpg. Again, this with maybe 2/3s+ city driving.
I was under the, perhaps faulty, impression that I might average 23 in city and 27 highway. So, it seems to me that approaching 21mpg is still low. No?

Anyway, I'm curious to learn what others have experienced. Maybe with this thread title the information will be easy for others to find.
Thanks.

Last edited by Boink; 01-12-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m usually getting 25 mpg on my first tanks for my 2018 Q5 Prestige. My lowest mileage occurred when it was way subzero for days, and I repeatedly allowed the car to warm up for up to 30 min, getting only 21mpg. Another, lower ave was 23mpg for my most recent tankful, driving mostly highway but quite fast.
Good luck,Dave
Originally Posted by Boink
I know this topic is scattered all over the place (under threads about "should I buy a Q5" or "I'm unhappy with some things on the Q5" etc.) but I thought I'd try to centralize with this thread.

My 2018 Q5 is just 600 miles old (coming up on a month) and I'm unimpressed with the mileage so far... but maybe that's because I'm still in the break-in period and maybe my driving habits. I don't drive the car hard at all, but I do more in-city than highway driving. The auto-shut-off feature is functioning (so that surely saves some fuel); I do have the heated steering and seats on right now (but no AC). I also live on a hill, where mileage is surely low going up but you'd think high going down. Sometimes when I'm at a steady-state driving on the freeway, I've seen my average "short-term" mileage hit 27mpg, which is satisfying and matches up with the claims.
[BTW, yeah, I know the slogan - "your mileage may vary" and I get this. Still.]
My first tank came in at an overall 19mpg and the second one at 20.6mpg. Again, this with maybe 2/3s+ city driving.
I was under the, perhaps faulty, impression that I might average 23 in city and 27 highway. So, it seems to me that approaching 21mpg is still low. No?

Anyway, I'm curious to learn what others have experienced. Maybe with this thread title the information will be easy for others to find.
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mileage is also coming in with an average of 19, and I'm around ~500 miles in so far. Going it's going to get better as well. I certainly don't drive hard either.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While not a 2.0T, my SQ5 averages 18mph city with a light foot, and 20-22mpg combined (80%hwy/20%city). You should be able to do better than 19-20mpg city with a the 2.0T
Old 01-12-2018, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

800 miles on my Q5 and I probably get around 18-20, mostly city and short trips. This is in So Cal, so the weather has been really warm with some morning in the 40's and 50's. The one mostly highway trip I had, came in at 33 which is great to see. I'm sure this will improve with time, but unfortunately, around town with the Turbo, I don't think I'm going to get to 23 unless I drove it in Comfort mode, very conservatively.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TreeSkier
800 miles on my Q5 and I probably get around 18-20, mostly city and short trips. This is in So Cal, so the weather has been really warm with some morning in the 40's and 50's. The one mostly highway trip I had, came in at 33 which is great to see. I'm sure this will improve with time, but unfortunately, around town with the Turbo, I don't think I'm going to get to 23 unless I drove it in Comfort mode, very conservatively.
I use ACC in the city because it gets me better mpg, then I can enjoy sport mode on the highway. Do you have the DAP on your Q5?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
I use ACC in the city because it gets me better mpg, then I can enjoy sport mode on the highway. Do you have the DAP on your Q5?
I do have DAP, but ACC doesn't seem practical around town, but I do use it occasionally as the main through streets having 50 MPG speed limits, but we have lots of traffic lights (untimed) that you have to brake quickly for. It can get a bit tricky because ACC will brake for you at a red light when there is a car in front of you stopping at the light but if there is no car and ACC is on then your changing back to manually braking and timing the stop at the light, which at 50 or 60 happens quickly.

I have been playing around with ACC on the highway and use LKA and traffic assist as well. The one thing I find with ACC that I'm not fond of is that I can get stuck behind slow drivers more often then I normally would and I hate sitting behind slow drivers, especially in the fast lane. By the time I realize the drivers slow or slowing, the opening to go around may be gone.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

What also gets me is that I used to have a 3.5 liter V-6 Lexus (sedan, front-wheel drive) and I got about the same or slightly better mileage than the Q5!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:05 PM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boink
What also gets me is that I used to have a 3.5 liter V-6 Lexus (sedan, front-wheel drive) and I got about the same or slightly better mileage than the Q5!
Name one AWD SUV with gasoline engine that has a better mileage than similarly sized/powered FWD sedan.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by U-2
Name one AWD SUV with gasoline engine that has a better mileage than similarly sized/powered FWD sedan.
Fair enough... maybe it's just the weight differential. 3500lb car with V6 3.5 liter doing the same or a tad better than a 4000lb awd SUV with 2.0 liter 4 cylinder (with auto-shut-off). Maybe that 500lbs makes all the difference. Still, I might have thought one could at least get close to projected mileage.

Last edited by Boink; 01-14-2018 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Mileage with the 2.0 liter turbo...