Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Slow tire pressure drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow tire pressure drop

It is been 3 weeks since purchasing the vehicle, I got a warning that tire pressure is low and filled it up, now again it is dropping very slowly though like 5 PSI per 36 hours (didn't use the car). Any theory on why it could be? it is been driven mostly in highways and paved roads.

Can I just take it to the America's Tire or is it recommended to take it to Audi service center. Should I be worried about wheel issues?

I am also thinking of getting some tire warranty through America's tire. Any advices of pros and cons?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Tire pressure drops significantly with decreasing outdoor temperatures. That may or may not be the reason. That's why it's a good idea to post your location.
A few suggestions:

Get an good quality tire gauge.
Make sure you measure your tires when cold, before you start driving on them.
Fill tires to what is recommended in your owner's manual not what is on the door sticker.

But you can always bring it to a tire center or dealer to have them check for a leak. In any event, I would not want to take any chances driving on a tire I was not sure about, so I would do that ASAP.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I am in SF bay area, even though it is cold, I am guessing it is nothing compared to other east coast or northern states.

Yeah, will get that checked. I was just hoping that it wouldn't impact any warranty if a tire shop looks at it first, if they diagnose it as non-road hazard issue, I would want to take it to the dealer to get it replaced.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:25 AM
U-2
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, every time I had this kind of pressure drop it was some nail stuck in the tire.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Be careful. My car has just over 5000 miles on it now. I was driving the freeway last week and the tire pressure monitor went on. Told me the left rear tire had a lost of pressure. I assumed it was a little low. I was going to wait for another exit to get off the freeway (It was 3 miles further). Then I got a warning about loss of stabilization. Then I heard a noise. All this time the car was driving smoothly. I immediately pulled over and my tire was toast. Looked like swiss cheese on the sidewalls. Had the spare put on and went to America's tire the next day. I did call my dealer and they said nothing they can do. I bought one new tire from them. They said it looked like road hazard, something could have hit the tire. I did buy their road hazard warranty, they allow me to add to all 4 tires. However, I still wonder if it's worth it. The 20 inch tires seem like they could go bad quickly. Im used to driving with 18 inch tires.

Yesterday my warning came on again, but it didnt say which tire (meaning it was more than one). I pulled over the next exit and the tires looked ok. Took pressure reading and it was 38.5, 38 in the front, 40, 40 rear. So I thought it was safe to drive home. I did a reset so I will know if they lose any more air. The next morning (yesterday), I measured about 36 front and 38 rear. The manual says 29 for each tire for up to 3 passengers, else 33 front and 36 rear. I did note that just barely letting air out will lose a pound. The door says only 33 and 36. I put in 33 and 34 as a compromise, I have a light load most of the time. I will monitor the pressure closely.

Now a friend of mine told me that he had a problem on a car where there was an issue with the tires sealing properly on the rims and he made the dealer give him all new tires. I dont know if this is the problem or not. If I see that I lose pressure too easily, I will go back to the dealer. I have Michelin tires. I would assume the monitoring system will take into account cold vs hot tires.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fill your tires with Nitrogen to avoid pressure changes with ambient temperature drops/increases. All of my tires are filled with Nitrogen currently. Whether it's 5°F or 75°F outside I don't need to worry as much about tire pressures. I still check them periodically to be safe.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Fill your tires with Nitrogen to avoid pressure changes with ambient temperature drops/increases. All of my tires are filled with Nitrogen currently. Whether it's 5°F or 75°F outside I don't need to worry as much about tire pressures. I still check them periodically to be safe.

Good info. Generally what do places charge for that?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Good info. Generally what do places charge for that?
I had A/S tires installed at Costco (Michelli Pilot Sport A/S 3+) and it was free. Most places charge $10 for all 4 tires at most .
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks all! After checking again, I could see that there is a screw in the tire, which is what causing the drop. Didn't take a close look earlier. Haven't had a chance to go to the tire shop, but haven't used the vehicle either. Will take this evening.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick Reply: Slow tire pressure drop