A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Snow chains for A4 AR 2017 18"

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow chains for A4 AR 2017 18"

Hello everyone,

I'm struggling with choosing snow chains for my A4 Allroad 2017. I have 245/45 R18 wheels and the owner manual says that snow chains are not compatible with this wheels at all (for 17" wheels are ok).

Has anyone tried some low profile (7mm) snow chains? e.g. https://www.snowchainstore.co.uk/konig-k-slim-104

Maybe there is enough space for such chains and Audi is too secure with its instruction?

Or maybe I have to go with some "spider" like chains: https://www.amazon.com/THULE-KONIG-K-SUMMIT-Snow-chains/dp/B001ED4Q2A

If I could choose I would prefer normal chains, but I'm not sure if I have such option?

Best regards,
Sławek
Old 01-17-2018, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi and welcome to AudiWorld. 17's would be better snow tires anyhow and Audi states chains won't work with the 18's, so why look for a work around? I know I sound like that proverbial broken record, perhaps because I've become that proverbial broken record, but it would be helpful for you and the rest of us if you posted your location in your profile,
Old 01-18-2018, 01:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi and thanks for your reply. I already have winter tyres and when I was buying them I wasn't aware of compatibility problems. I'm planning to visit Alps in next week and there are some places where police require snow chains during blizzards (they won't let you go some roads). I saw on Konig website that these low profile chains should fit my car but I wanted to confirm it with someone more knowledge within these topics.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by slawkow68
Hi and thanks for your reply. I already have winter tyres and when I was buying them I wasn't aware of compatibility problems. I'm planning to visit Alps in next week and there are some places where police require snow chains during blizzards (they won't let you go some roads). I saw on Konig website that these low profile chains should fit my car but I wanted to confirm it with someone more knowledge within these topics.
Aha, well hopefully someone will chime in with the correct answer. But as an aside, you guys willing to travel in a blizzard on roads that require chains are way more gutsy than me!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I hope I won't meet any blizzards but I can't be sure
If I don't get any answer I will choose this THULE-KONIG-K-SUMMIT as the safest choice, but expensive one...
Old 01-19-2018, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by slawkow68
I hope I won't meet any blizzards but I can't be sure
If I don't get any answer I will choose this THULE-KONIG-K-SUMMIT as the safest choice, but expensive one...
Ok, but is there a similar type Audi forum in your country? You may have better luck there.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, there is but I think I wouldn't have luck there because generally, snow chains in Poland are not something "must have", especially when you have 4x4 drive. Moreover, our forum has much fewer users. Thanks for trying help.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've used basic cable chains like the ones from https://www.qualitychaincorp.com/ on several cars including Audis, but I don't know if the same vendors are available for you. I would recommend looking at the manufacturer's website to determine exact part numbers fitting your tire size, and then cross-checking that you can get the exact same model from wherever you actually purchase them. As long as you haven't lowered your suspension or over-sized wheels to a crazy extent, clearance should not be an issue when chains are properly installed. But, you should definitely test install the chains in comfort at home and double check clearance whenever you buy a new pair. Don't discover a mistaken purchase once you are in the mountains and really in need!

My thought process has always been that I don't really need chains with quattro and good tires and careful driving, other than to please the local law officers. I choose the lighter cable chains because they are easier to stow as well as to install. They come from the factory with a layer of lubricating oil on them, so in one case I had a pair for almost 15 years that was never used and looked good as new when I finally got rid of them when I no longer had a car with compatible tire sizes. But, if I have to use them and they start to show corrosion, I am ready to replace them with another cheap pair rather than risk having a pair wear out and fail while on my vehicle.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just picked up my 2018 AR this week. Did you all have to sign off on a waiver that you wouldn't use chains on your car? I think it could damage the drivetrain when 4wd is engaged/disengaged?
I wasn't sure if it was chains and cables, or just chains, but I think I need to buy something in case there is a mandatory chain requirement.
I know the car is very capable but in the event I had to use them, would it be better to use them on all 4 tires?
Old 03-08-2018, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rpparkster
Just picked up my 2018 AR this week. Did you all have to sign off on a waiver that you wouldn't use chains on your car? I think it could damage the drivetrain when 4wd is engaged/disengaged?
I wasn't sure if it was chains and cables, or just chains, but I think I need to buy something in case there is a mandatory chain requirement.
I know the car is very capable but in the event I had to use them, would it be better to use them on all 4 tires?
That is news to me. Page 350 in the owner's manual provides details on chain usage. Front wheels only.

Quick Reply: Snow chains for A4 AR 2017 18"