New Member Welcome Area We've gathered the info you need if you are new to the AudiWorld forums

Buying a 2018 Q7 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2018 Q7 this weekend

Hi! I'm new. I've been shopping for a new car for the past month - finally decided on the Audi Q7. I currently have a Honda Odyssey that came with those nasty run-flat tires (RFTs). The one thing I am disappointed about is that in order to get theQ7 with the V6 engine, I have to accept it Q7 with its standard RFTs. Is it possible to replace RFTs with regular tires? In the past when I wanted to do it on my Odyssey, the dealership recommended against it - said the on-board computer would malfunction, because it would no longer receive the same signal from the tires. I didn't believe them, until an in-law tried it with his wife's Odyssey, and then the computer actually started throwing out error messages, which led to multiple expensive trips to the dealership. So is this applicable to the Q7, or could I safely replace the tires? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by onthemove222
Hi! I'm new. I've been shopping for a new car for the past month - finally decided on the Audi Q7. I currently have a Honda Odyssey that came with those nasty run-flat tires (RFTs). The one thing I am disappointed about is that in order to get theQ7 with the V6 engine, I have to accept it Q7 with its standard RFTs. Is it possible to replace RFTs with regular tires? In the past when I wanted to do it on my Odyssey, the dealership recommended against it - said the on-board computer would malfunction, because it would no longer receive the same signal from the tires. I didn't believe them, until an in-law tried it with his wife's Odyssey, and then the computer actually started throwing out error messages, which led to multiple expensive trips to the dealership. So is this applicable to the Q7, or could I safely replace the tires? Thanks!

Good thing is YES you can replace any car with RFT with regular tires. You are not obligated. We have done this on our BMWs in past with no problem tho we order our BMW with spare tire in the trunk. The regular tires will be softer more smoother and better traction. What size rims are you getting, 19 inch or 20 inch? Also newer non runflats especially Michelins have been much more robust and when they get a nail the air leak is super slow and last over several days giving you plenty of time to get it patched up or replaced vs runflat with only 50 miles and super harsh and crappy ride. I can look up some good replacement non runflat tires for you. As for your Honda dealership, screw them sorry. Audi allows you to do whatever you want. They dont have tire pressure monitors but laser sensors from wheel wheel that detects a tire rolling diameter getting lower vs the other due to low pressure and will warn you. We have good experience with this on all of our Audis including the A7 and A8.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Premium%20Plus

These are amazing tires we have them on our 2015 BMW X5 that originally came with runflats and ride is great and no other issues including flats, tpms malfunction etc.