A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2018 Audi A4 premium shaking seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Audi A4 premium shaking seats

Hi all,

This is my first post here. I bought my first ever car, a 2018 audi A4 and took delivery of it on 01/17/2018. The dealership was fairly close to my home, so I could not drive it on the freeway, but I got it back home once I took the delivery and did not drive for the next two days, as I was out of town. Cut to two days later and I drive around 30 miles on a freeway and start noticing the seats shake, albeit very little. I did not notice this when I test drove the same vehicle about two weeks back. Should I be concerned? I have looked at other models facing this issue and some mentioned that since it snows, there might be a balancing issue. But on a brand new car with 25-30 miles on it? It was parked outside in the snow for a couple of days before I took delivery of it, and couple days after as well, but is there a way to find out if it's the real issue?

The vibration is only on the drivers seat, and the rpm has not exceeded 2k. I haven't checked/ don't know what to check anything at all. I was driving in dynamic mode, if that makes a difference?

Should I be calling the dealership? I did not buy any extended warranties the dealer was offering, so, I'm scared if it will cost me. Any help here is appreciated. If there is anything that I can do to check myself, please do let me know.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2018, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

You have 4 years of warranty, no reason to be concerned or even think about an extended warranty yet. Open the drivers door and look for a silver sticker, it shows the build date of the car (December 2015 in the picture below). About 3 month later the car arrived in the US and with 30 miles on the odometer it was standing still most of the time (worst case 6-7 month if it is a MY 2018). I would check the tire pressure and drive 100 miles or so. If it doesn't go away then see the dealer and have him check it out.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
You have 4 years of warranty, no reason to be concerned or even think about an extended warranty yet. Open the drivers door and look for a silver sticker, it shows the build date of the car (December 2015 in the picture below). About 3 month later the car arrived in the US and with 30 miles on the odometer it was standing still most of the time (worst case 6-7 month if it is a MY 2018). I would check the tire pressure and drive 100 miles or so. If it doesn't go away then see the dealer and have him check it out.

Thanks a lot . I will be checking the same, it will take me 3-4 of days to drive around a 100 miles. I will get back once I do so.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Likely a tire issue...many dealerships don't properly check the tire pressures. It's also possible you have a shipping puck in the suspension springs... these are supposed to be removed during the final delivery inspection at your dealership... you definitely do not want to drive with these still in place.

Either way, take it to the dealership so they can make it right. You shouldn't have any issues in a brand new car.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

If the vibration is only in the driver's seat... isn't the question whether the driver's seat is properly attached?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

A little bit o' snow/ice stuck in the alloy wheel will cause some major shaking. That's a real thing up north. BTW, I had a Golf R where the seat would "shift" or move just a bit in some situations, and it seemed to depend on the position of the seat. VW ended up replacing a few seats for owners. What's you're describing is totally different. I'm sure the dealer will sort it out for you. Good luck.

Last edited by ptmdsharp; 01-20-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

My 17 has been doing this since purchase
The dealer agreed that there is a vibration but stated they all do this and it cant be fixed
tried everything including roadforce balance
Tires are probably the issue (Pirellis) They are very loud especially on varying road surfaces
The loaner cars didnt seem to shake at all
It ssems to have reduced somewhat over a few thousand miles
The dealer isnt cooperative nor is Audi
Planning to trade it soon so i havent given it much more thought
Old 01-20-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by A4again
My 17 has been doing this since purchase
The dealer agreed that there is a vibration but stated they all do this and it cant be fixedno end.
tried everything including roadforce balance
Tires are probably the issue (Pirellis) They are very loud especially on varying road surfaces
The loaner cars didnt seem to shake at all
It ssems to have reduced somewhat over a few thousand miles
The dealer isnt cooperative nor is Audi
Planning to trade it soon so i havent given it much more thought
Seat vibration is not normal, not at all. That's bs - and I would escalate the issue until I had some resolution. The fact that your dealer and Audi isn't cooperative would annoy me to no end.I think you are a way more patient person than I am.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

As suggested, I drove around till I reached 100 miles or so, and I have a few points noted.

1. Vibration can be felt near my right knee as well as the back of the seat, the steering does not vibrate.
2. The vibration occurs when I stop accelerating, i.e, I reach 30-40mph and stop accelerating and can feel it happening. Shaking is noticeable especially while idling on a downhill slope. There is no vibration when I accelerate or brake.
3. The drive modes don't seem to make a difference, I tried comfort, dynamic and auto. I can feel the vibration while I'm in the passenger seat as well, but no where near as much as the driver's seat.

I have made an appointment with the dealer and will go see him today. Hopefully there is a resolution. I will post once I find something out.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay, another update. I took the car to the dealer. They drove it around and said it's nothing and that these kind of cars will provide more of a 'road feel'. I wasn't convinced, and requested if they could do a diagnostic test just to make sure there wasn't anything wrong. They did a roadforce test and got back to me today, saying that all 4 of my tires had flat spots!! They mentioned something about storage, but I've only had the car for a week. They have offered to replace all 4 tires. Who would've thought, a brand new car has all 4 tires malfunctioning.....

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi A4 premium shaking seats