A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

whats causing this tire damage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats causing this tire damage?

PICTURES BELOW
Hi, bought this tires 1 1/2 years ago, and im having abnormal tire wear on both sides of both front wheels. Could this be an alignment problem? This happened little after aligment done, so Im thinking it was done wrong. Someone told me it can also be caused by worn bushings on the control arms.
I took some pictures of the upper control arms and they look to be worn. What do you think?
pictures below

Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yes, those worn bushings can most definitely cause the issues you're having. What's effectively happening is when you're going down the road, the wear is causing your suspension geometry- and therefore alignment- to change by small (and more critically, random and irregular) amounts with every little dip/crack in the road. Add that up a few hundred thousand times, and that results in abnormal wear like you're seeing. I would check the rest of the arms out as well- if you're planning on keeping the car for awhile, FCP Euro has kits to replace all of the arms... they're a tiny bit more expensive than other places, but you get their lifetime warranty on wear items like this. When they wear out (and they will), send 'em back and you get new ones for free.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S/RConcepts
Oh yes, those worn bushings can most definitely cause the issues you're having. What's effectively happening is when you're going down the road, the wear is causing your suspension geometry- and therefore alignment- to change by small (and more critically, random and irregular) amounts with every little dip/crack in the road. Add that up a few hundred thousand times, and that results in abnormal wear like you're seeing. I would check the rest of the arms out as well- if you're planning on keeping the car for awhile, FCP Euro has kits to replace all of the arms... they're a tiny bit more expensive than other places, but you get their lifetime warranty on wear items like this. When they wear out (and they will), send 'em back and you get new ones for free.
Guess you are right, I checked drivers side, and it looks even worst, theres is movement on wheel when I grab it from both sides and start to jiggle it when lifted, did the same thing on passengers side with the wheel and it does not move , down below are driverside pictures, you will see on one of the pictures one joint almost coming apart, I checked all arms with a pry bar for movement upper control arms tend to move when prying on them, while the lower ones show little movement, and still look very strong, I really plan to stay with this audi, so you say its best to replace all control arms at once? would you recommend replacing bushings only, or its not worth it?

Old 02-07-2018, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could replace just the bushings themselves, however due to Murphy's law, the joints probably wouldn't be too far behind at that point... even more so when you're trying to unseat them with a hammer or 'pickle fork'. I would do all the arms and tie rod ends in one shot myself (I actually have to do the same on my 4.2 C5). It's a decent hit to the wallet, but it'll only be once thanks to the FCP warranty.

For reference- the OEM arms are made by TRW, which will be the same as Lemforder, as both are owned by ZF. FCP also has a Delphi kit, but I'm unsure as to the overall quality as I've never had any to compare. You could also go with one of the fully adjustable arm kits if you're planning on coilovers.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Upper control arms can be changed without affecting the alignment. If you change the lowers it will affect the alignment. If you don't have access to a press for changing bushings then buy the complete control arms already assembled. They aren't that pricey through aftermarket. These bushings are a regular maintenance item on these cars. Steering link ends will also require an alignment. Some of the after-market suppliers sell entire kits for front suspension assemblies that also include sway bar links, stabilizer bushings, etc.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harleyguy
Upper control arms can be changed without affecting the alignment. If you change the lowers it will affect the alignment. If you don't have access to a press for changing bushings then buy the complete control arms already assembled. They aren't that pricey through aftermarket. These bushings are a regular maintenance item on these cars. Steering link ends will also require an alignment. Some of the after-market suppliers sell entire kits for front suspension assemblies that also include sway bar links, stabilizer bushings, etc.
I think I can rent a press in my local autoparts store.
I searched youtube for bushings replacement and does not looks to complicated to replace them.
the only thing is that Im not really sure if that press its the appropriate for this car's control arms and don't know were to buy the bushings. Whats a good site to find them?
I think I can get a kit for around $300 it also includes the sway bar links and these other black things(top-right hand side) that don't know its name. But I know I need them.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You haven't mentioned year, model, etc so I looked up a generic C5 kit: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ol%20Arm%20Kit
Copy that into your browser address box. It is a link to a supplier that I have used a lot. Good speedy service and the parts are top notch. The black things you refer to in the picture are tie rod ends. They connect to the ends of the rack and pinion gear box since you don't have an actual tie rod on these cars. As you will see in the above link they are included in a complete front suspension kit. While costing more the kits will save a lot of time and hassle. Every time you press a bushing in or out you have the chance to screw up. All the pieces are cast aluminum and can break easily if improperly stressed. The kits are pretty much plug and play. If you install the new parts carefully and correctly they should be close enough to allow you to drive it to an alignment shop for correct set-up and adjustment.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thank you very much for the link , I was able to find a more reasonable priced control arm kit at this website you gave me. The only thing that concerns me is that it says it has included "mounting hardware kit with 15" , or 16" wheels" . My car has 17" rims, is that a big deal?

Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can't say regarding rim size although probably not an issue. You could try calling them on their toll free line and asking them. Another member here Georgeb944 may be able to answer that specific question.