Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts

S3 Lowering Springs Vs. Coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 Lowering Springs Vs. Coilovers???

Hello, just want to get an opinion on what's the best way to lower S3? just lowering springs or with coilovers? I had lowered my previous old lexus is250 in the past with just lowering springs and it gave me problems with uncomfortable bouncy rides and lower control bars that needed to be replaced! Therefore, just wondering if people with their S3 lowered have any issues after lowering their cars??? Thanks in advanced for the responses! Any reply will be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can take my opinion FWIW, but I would never go springs on a stock OEM shock. Why? Because the OEM shock is not designed to handle the abuse a lowered car places on the shock. The valving is completely different which many will tell you, creates bounciness, inheritant bottoming out, pre-mature wear, etc.

I would only go coils because both spring and shock are designed as one cohesive unit. If you really want to go springs, I would add a performance shock into the equation. However, at that point, you're already in the cost of coils.

Again, this is just my opinion/experience across many different European manufactures. Even on my last Bimmer which had EDC, I would NEVER go springs again.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zcspec
You can take my opinion FWIW, but I would never go springs on a stock OEM shock. Why? Because the OEM shock is not designed to handle the abuse a lowered car places on the shock. The valving is completely different which many will tell you, creates bounciness, inheritant bottoming out, pre-mature wear, etc.

I would only go coils because both spring and shock are designed as one cohesive unit. If you really want to go springs, I would add a performance shock into the equation. However, at that point, you're already in the cost of coils.

Again, this is just my opinion/experience across many different European manufactures. Even on my last Bimmer which had EDC, I would NEVER go springs again.
Thanks so much for your honest and informative reply! I agree with you! I shouldn't go with springs only again after what I had experienced in my lowered lexus. Thanks for confirming it for me, I thought it was just my lexus or something. I guess I need to save up for coils then