Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

Replace run-flat tires with regular tires on 2018 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace run-flat tires with regular tires on 2018 Q7

Has anyone replaced their run-flat tires with regular tires on their 2018 Q7? Was there a difference in the ride? Did you change the size of the tire, or just switch the type of tire?
Old 03-16-2018, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onthemove222
Has anyone replaced their run-flat tires with regular tires on their 2018 Q7? Was there a difference in the ride? Did you change the size of the tire, or just switch the type of tire?
I've thought about doing it on our 2017 Q7, but what is one to do about a spare?
Also, since we lease, I'd probably have to keep the run-flats and put them back on when it's time to return the Q7.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

You will get a lot better ride and handling with non-runflats. In the BMW world, they bundle the non-runflats with a "mobility kit" which is a can of tire slime + 12V compressor. Fine for a nail hole, but you are screwed if the tire experiences a lot more damage.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You are screwed if the tire has a lot more damage on a run flat....
Old 03-17-2018, 04:32 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer did for me as part of negotiation process
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 AM
Audi Q7 Prestige'18 Owner

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wires
You will get a lot better ride and handling with non-runflats. In the BMW world, they bundle the non-runflats with a "mobility kit" which is a can of tire slime + 12V compressor. Fine for a nail hole, but you are screwed if the tire experiences a lot more damage.
Note that even with the runflats, my 2018 Q7 came with a compressor and tire slime. I think it is standard issue here in the USA.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I find the ride quality to be fine with 19” run flats. They’ve come a long way since the days when I had my E90 BMW and ditched the OEM tires within 1 month of ownership. I also run 19” winter non-run flats and I don’t notice much of a difference between the tires as far as ride quality is concerned. The car comes with the compressor and slime, and should that not be sufficient to get you out of a jam, the car also comes with roadside assistance.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
Default In Regards to Roadside Assistance.....

Originally Posted by NABS4
I find the ride quality to be fine with 19” run flats. They’ve come a long way since the days when I had my E90 BMW and ditched the OEM tires within 1 month of ownership. I also run 19” winter non-run flats and I don’t notice much of a difference between the tires as far as ride quality is concerned. The car comes with the compressor and slime, and should that not be sufficient to get you out of a jam, the car also comes with roadside assistance.
Can anybody assure me that as I travel Route 64 through West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois that roadside assistance would be able to find me, much less actually assist me, on the same day that I called. For example, Costco denies even having the ability to order a new Pirelli Scorpian tire for me. Sam's Club can order it but it takes at least 3 days to get it. How about Montana and most of the western states, except maybe California? The point I am making is that my Q7 is my travel vehicle and how much assistance exists outside of the major metropolitan areas?

And because of this even though I have plugged a screw hole in the middle of the tread in one of my run flats and fully expect to not have a problem with it, I have ordered a new tire. I won't be travelling outside the metro area until it arrives.

Last edited by AUDIQSS; 03-17-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUDIQSS
Can anybody assure me that as I travel Route 64 through West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois that roadside assistance would be able to find me, much less actually assist me, on the same day that I called. For example, Costco denies even having the ability to order a new Pirelli Scorpian tire for me. Sam's Club can order it but it takes at least 3 days to get it. How about Montana and most of the western states, except maybe California? The point I am making is that my Q7 is my travel vehicle and how much assistance exists outside of the major metropolitan areas?

And because of this even though I have plugged a screw hole in the middle of the tread in one of my run flats and fully expect to not have a problem with it, I have ordered a new tire. I won't be travelling outside the metro area until it arrives.
Just buy an extra brand new tire if you are doing interstate travel and throw it in the back during long trips.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiSS
Just buy an extra brand new tire if you are doing interstate travel and throw it in the back during long trips.
And leave the suitcases at home?

Quick Reply: Replace run-flat tires with regular tires on 2018 Q7