A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me out of upgrading from S6 to S8 (please!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me out of upgrading from S6 to S8 (please!)

Hi guys,

I have a 2014 S6 with very low mileage (~13k) and in very good condition. I love the car with only a few complaints: 1) backseat space is a little tight for a four-year-old in a car seat and 2) my wife just can't get comfortable in the passenger seat. This means that on any trips longer than 30 mins or so we end up taking her SUV which, it goes without saying, is a markedly inferior driving experience. I have tried and failed to talk my wife into getting a new Q7 and I don't want an SUV. I'm seeing pre-facelift D4 S8's going in the $40-55k range and started to get the itch to trade my S6 for an S8 of about the same age. I know I would end up with a car with more miles, and I'm sure service/maintanence/insurance would all be somewhat more money, but I keep looking at the ads and dreaming. It seems like I could throw in less than $10k and end up in a car that was $40k more than mine when new. If I went with a higher mileage example maybe close to an even money trade. I don't feel like I need (or even really want) the additional performance over the S6, but if my wife were more comfortable I think I'd get to drive it more and of course I do think the S8 is a very cool car with a certain prestige about it that the S6 doesn't quite have. I've thought about A8/A8L, but I think they lose something important in the styling, exclusivity, and driving experience. My head says just stick with the S6 and enjoy, but emotionally a blue or grey S8 with the Lunar Silver or Balao Brown is really calling me. I still owe about $43k on my S6 btw (bought it at the end of a lease, it has CPO coverage).

Somebody please talk me off the ledge so I can get on with enjoying my S6!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shut up!! You came here because you want to hear the truth, that is that the S8 is light years ahead of the run of the mill S6. The Q7 also isn't a patch on an A8 never mind an S8. Get yourself out to test drive an S8 and stop messing about.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah guilt as charged I guess. To clarify, I never meant to imply that a Q7 would be a good car for me, but it's a lot better than an Acura MDX for those days when I have to play family chauffeur. I would never trade my S6 for a Q7.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove a Q7 a few weeks ago and was rather underwhelmed by it. I'm in the market for an A8 but the S8 is a thing of beauty! Get one and love it.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by blackblackS6
Hi guys,...Somebody please talk me off the ledge so I can get on with enjoying my S6!
Sounds like you know what you really desire. But, since you asked to be talked of the ledge - consider that the A6/S6 seats can fold down to allow for hockey sticks, skis and items for projects into which your 4 yr old will eventually grow into. I believe that the A8/S8 rear seats are fixed, and while luxurious, do not offer the luxury of extending the trunk which is almost identical in size to the A6 (~ 14 cu t). This feature is one of several why I chose the A6 over the A8, and other makes, the trunks and opening to same really left much to be desired Therefore, if you need to play family chauffeur, you should keep your S6 for the times you have the car and the road to yourself.

On the other hand, if the above drawback does not bother you, follow Davey B's advice.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The S8

Interior is really a step above the S6.. my buddy has a 2013 S6 and I have a 14 S8. I actually am not sure that the S8 as it is SWB is that much bigger though tbh! But I do know that mine is a ****e load faster!

QUOTE=AMDG75;25125169]Sounds like you know what you really desire. But, since you asked to be talked of the ledge - consider that the A6/S6 seats can fold down to allow for hockey sticks, skis and items for projects into which your 4 yr old will eventually grow into. I believe that the A8/S8 rear seats are fixed, and while luxurious, do not offer the luxury of extending the trunk which is almost identical in size to the A6 (~ 14 cu t). This feature is one of several why I chose the A6 over the A8, and other makes, the trunks and opening to same really left much to be desired Therefore, if you need to play family chauffeur, you should keep your S6 for the times you have the car and the road to yourself.

On the other hand, if the above drawback does not bother you, follow Davey B's advice.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-17-2018, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks Dr. Mario. Any thoughts about the relative comfort of the S6 sport seats vs the S8 over the course of a few hours? I'm very comfortable in the sport seats and haven't been able to sit in the S8 for more than a few minutes at a time. I think you're right that the backseat leg room is only 1-2 inches more in the S8 (A8L obviously being very different there).
Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default S6 vs S8

Originally Posted by blackblackS6
Hi guys,

I have a 2014 S6 with very low mileage (~13k) and in very good condition. I love the car with only a few complaints: 1) backseat space is a little tight for a four-year-old in a car seat and 2) my wife just can't get comfortable in the passenger seat. This means that on any trips longer than 30 mins or so we end up taking her SUV which, it goes without saying, is a markedly inferior driving experience. I have tried and failed to talk my wife into getting a new Q7 and I don't want an SUV. I'm seeing pre-facelift D4 S8's going in the $40-55k range and started to get the itch to trade my S6 for an S8 of about the same age. I know I would end up with a car with more miles, and I'm sure service/maintanence/insurance would all be somewhat more money, but I keep looking at the ads and dreaming. It seems like I could throw in less than $10k and end up in a car that was $40k more than mine when new. If I went with a higher mileage example maybe close to an even money trade. I don't feel like I need (or even really want) the additional performance over the S6, but if my wife were more comfortable I think I'd get to drive it more and of course I do think the S8 is a very cool car with a certain prestige about it that the S6 doesn't quite have. I've thought about A8/A8L, but I think they lose something important in the styling, exclusivity, and driving experience. My head says just stick with the S6 and enjoy, but emotionally a blue or grey S8 with the Lunar Silver or Balao Brown is really calling me. I still owe about $43k on my S6 btw (bought it at the end of a lease, it has CPO coverage).

Somebody please talk me off the ledge so I can get on with enjoying my S6!
i test drove a 2016 S6 when I was considering moving on from my 2007 SWB A8. The S6 was similar to my A8 in length, wheelbase and weight, and it had a good feel on back roads during spirited driving, just like my A8 . But I felt that my A8 was much nicer inside, and the seats were extremely comfortable. So I decided to just stick with my A8 indefinitely. But I started to have a few issues with my aging A8, and moved on to an S8, and I couldn't be happier!

i think what really separates the S6 from the S8 is the chassis and the interior. I think of mine as a magic carpet, the way it rides, and the interior is absolutely beautiful. And if your wife isn't comfortable in the fabulous S8 seats, well, I don't know what to say.

You mention Lunar Silver. I saw that color once, and I really liked it. My S8 is Moonlight Blue, and I love it, but I also considered Datona Gray.

Be sure to tell your wife that you are getting an S8 to please her. Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 03-17-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I can’t comment much

On the comfort of the S6 seats as I’m the opppsite of you and have spent only a few mins in my buddy’s while the car was parked. The S8 seats are pretty firm and like a high quality mattress just soft enough without being saggy.

its funny that 911 said to get an S8 to “please your wife” because of how my wife desperately wishes I would have just bought a Prius like the rest of our friends lol!!

QUOTE=blackblackS6;25125175]Thanks Dr. Mario. Any thoughts about the relative comfort of the S6 sport seats vs the S8 over the course of a few hours? I'm very comfortable in the sport seats and haven't been able to sit in the S8 for more than a few minutes at a time. I think you're right that the backseat leg room is only 1-2 inches more in the S8 (A8L obviously being very different there).[/QUOTE]
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think my wife would be happiest if I just drove us all around in her MDX, stopped talking about wanting to drive my car, and stopped talking about cars in general forever! This in not an interest we share unfortunately. and yeah, she knows exactly who an S8 would be for... That's why I wanted to upgrade her car to something I didn't mind driving instead of changing mine, but she is adamantly opposed.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of upgrading from S6 to S8 (please!)